SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    House of the Dragon
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House of the Dragon Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Looks like this show is starting almost 200 years before Game of Thrones.

Based on the first episode and where we know things go, it looks like HBO has plenty of characters to kill off for many years.

We enjoyed the first episode.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It’s supposedly woked out. So I will wait to hear from folks before jacking with it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Is that Matt Smith (as in Doctor Who Matt Smith) in this series??

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1...330/?ref_=ls_mv_desc

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First episode I didn’t notice anything particularly woke. I don’t feel invested in any characters yet and I thought the first episode was solid but not exactly gripping or exciting. Solid 7.

I’ll come back for next week.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Struck me as rather staid. It didn't have the edgy excitement and drama of GOT.

The lighting was also quite dark which I found annoying.

We'll see how things progress....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Table set. Got the idea of who is who Now get the story going!

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I never watched any of GoT. It wasn’t really on my radar until a few seasons in, and I wasn’t interested in catching up. Do I need to have seen GoT to watch this show?

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
not exactly gripping or exciting

^this. I gave it a try, and not to dampen the enthusiasm of any true believers in the franchise, but I shut it off at about 20 minutes and watched some reruns of other stuff.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Almost feels like a soft reboot. Seems to be a GOT lite...

It's like they're trying to take it easy and not get people worked up one way or another. All the basic elements seem to be there from the original series though...

-Blood thirsty villain: CHECK
-Straight Sex/orgy: CHECK
-Mother of dragons-ish character: CHECK
-Dragons: CHECK
-Plot twists: TBD
-Blood/gore: CHECK
-Shock and awe: not yet.
-Gay/lesbian relationships: Developing

The only element I see differently that wasn't in the GOT series is the bi-racial couple. -Meh...

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5394 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
It was…ok. It wasn’t nearly as gripping as GoT episode one.

I’ll keep watching to see how it goes.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
The only element I see differently that wasn't in the GOT series is the bi-racial couple. -Meh...

Drogo / Danerys ?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

Drogo / Danerys ?

Drogo had an islander or arabic complexion.

In this series, there's a black/white couple. The elder Targeryn white woman and the black man on the council with white dreadlocks. Unless I'm misunderstanding the relationship.

In the GOT series none of the main characters were black that I can remember. This series already has more "representation" but I don't see it as in-your-face... yet.

Tony.

Posts: 5394 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife and I didn't even care for GoT, so we probably won't even try this.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I started to watch it but bailed and recorded it to give it try later.
Never watched or was in to GOT.
If it is woke-laden then that would be a cause for extinction of my attention.

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Drogo / Danerys ?

In this series, there's a black/white couple. The elder Targeryn white woman and the black man on the council with white dreadlocks. Unless I'm misunderstanding the relationship.

In the GOT series none of the main characters were black that I can remember. This series already has more "representation" but I don't see it as in-your-face... yet.

Tony.

Haven't started this new series, but that was my first thought for an 'interracial' couple.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Drogo's actor, Jason Momoa, is of Hawaiian/Pawnee descent.

But Drogo himself is neither islander nor arabic. Khal Drogo is of effectively Central Asian Steppe nomad descent, similar to the real-world Mongols/Khazaks/Tartars/Scythians/etc. Think Genghis Khan.

Just like the real-world Eurasian Steppe, the Dothraki Sea is a massive grass steppe in the center of Essos that separates the western side of Essos (The Free Cities - similar to the real-world late Middle Ages Italy/Mediterranean) from the southern side of Essos (Slaver's Bay - similar to the real-world Middle East/North Africa) and the eastern side of Essos (Yi Ti - similar to the real-world East Asia).

quote:
In the GOT series none of the main characters were black that I can remember.

Remember these two main characters - Grey Worm and Missandei?

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Drogo's actor, Jason Momoa, is of Hawaiian/Pawnee descent.

But Drogo himself is neither islander nor arabic. Khal Drogo is of effectively Central Asian Steppe nomad descent, similar to the real-world Mongols/Khazaks/Tartars/Scythians/etc. (Think Genghis Khan.)

quote:
In the GOT series none of the main characters were black that I can remember.

Remember these two main characters - Grey Worm and Missandei?

Right, I remember them but they are kind of supporting characters and their skin tone could work with someone of Arabic descent or perhaps Latino of some sort. I honestly can't nail down their ethnicity. They could both be Puerto Rican or Honduran for all I can tell. I didn't say there was no black people at all in the original, but there's a difference between them and this main character who is listed directly on the main IMDB page for HOD...

And don't be mistaken, I'm not trying to make any kind of a big deal about it. But someone commented on it being "super woke" and in Hollywood, they check certain boxes and make sure certain elements of the message are injected into pretty much all movies these days. So they checked the box marked "interracial relationships" as well as "minority in a significant role".

None of that stuff bothers me, but I observed the difference between GOT and HOD.

Tony.

Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Drogo / Danerys ?
Yes, but those two didn't exactly meet at a school dance. It was a forced arrangement. They just happened to fall in love later.

Posts: 2659 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I thought the first episode was okay, but not great. I do agree the unrelievedly dark sets were off-putting. I know they used candles, but I still like to see the characters.

I'll give it another go, but I am not burning to watch episode 2.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post