SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    House of the Dragon
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House of the Dragon Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'm enjoying it so far. It doesn't seem rushed, which I like. I guess one of the big differences between this and GOT was that GOT used dragons sparingly because of the CGI cost and we saw a lot less dragon footage.

Either CGI cost has come down or the show put more budget into being able to show more dragon time.

And yes, there's a much smaller net of characters this time around, at least at this point in the series.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5392 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have to add, I really enjoyed the Price Daemon scene at the planning table, when the messenger from the the King came up. Thought Matt Smith really played it well, all without saying a single word.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Have to add, I really enjoyed the Price Daemon scene at the planning table, when the messenger from the the King came up. Thought Matt Smith really played it well, all without saying a single word.

Yes, he owned that episode!
My daughter and I are huge Matt Smith fans, but she isn't a game of thrones person. But she saw me laughing and saw Matt, so now she is starting House of the Dragon.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8007 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
And there it is. They just had to do it. Hopefully this “girl” says fuck it all and raises hell and war. At least make it interesting.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12613 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Found out a few days ago that the wife and I get HBO Max included in our ATT cell phone plan... Who knew, wish i had known earlier since i've had this damn plan for nearly 4 years...

Anyway, we got caught up tonight.

As soon as the wedding was announced I assumed in the fashion of this series... Bad news was afoot.

It was actually tame from the PAST weddings in this universe.

I'm liking it though. 5 episodes in we are entertained.

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8007 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prince Daemon is by far the most interesting character in the show and Matt Smith is crushing it. Busting in on the wedding uninvited and his interplay with his dead wife’s cousin were boss moves.

A bit disappointed with the preview for the next episode. The episode ended with it looking like Viserys was about to pack it in, but the preview shows he’s still alive and kicking after the 10 year time jump. Gave away too much.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

Prince Daemon is by far the most interesting character in the show and Matt Smith is crushing it.

Matt Smith is a great actor. He portrayed one of my most favorite iterations of The Doctor on Doctor Who after Tom Baker, the very favorite of myself and many.

Posts: 33744 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Anyone else find S1E6 less than stellar as well as somewhat distracting due to some of the cast having been replaced? If they wanted to show a decade later why have only some of the characters replaced with others looking just like they did in S1E5?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Anyone else find S1E6 less than stellar as well as somewhat distracting due to some of the cast having been replaced? If they wanted to show a decade later why have only some of the characters replaced with others looking just like they did in S1E5?

I thought the recasting with older actors was a bit jarring, too.

The new Rhaenyra, in particular, didn't much resemble the previous one. The Alicents were similar enough that they didn't bother me too much.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes. I found I spent half the episode trying to figure out who all the people were. While it wasn’t that difficult it was distracting and annoying halfway through a season. So far this has been a big yawn for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’m tired of the lack of action. Monarchy melodrama week after week. They need to get it on.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12613 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Agree with prefontaine.
By accident we climed on the E6 trailer looking for the full episode. The trailer is A LOT better and worth watching, the episode not so much.

Thinking they should go “Dracarys” on the whole First Season and move on to the next.

Enough with the foreplay, let’s get down to business!

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The entire show strikes me as a low budget, wannabe, Game of Thrones.

Posts: 4619 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

I thought the recasting with older actors was a bit jarring, too.

The new Rhaenyra, in particular, didn't much resemble the previous one. The Alicents were similar enough that they didn't bother me too much.

Agree that new Rhaenyra didn’t look much like classic Rhaenyra. She also seems pretty whipped down. Speaking of whipped, Daemon was pretty lame too. Much less interesting than he was in the previous five episodes. I can only assume that this episode was just a massive setup dump and things are really going to pick up from here. Or at least hope so, otherwise interest in the show is going to drop off pretty quickly. The preview of the next episode looks like Rhaenyra and Daemon are going to team up, get their mojo back, and presumably spark it up.

For who got recast and who didn’t, it seems like they recast just the characters that were supposed to still be teens at the end of episode five. They aged up the King, but it’s strange they didn’t age up any of the other actors. You’d think the adults would show some sign of aging 10 years.

I just don’t buy that the King would just let his daughter just pump out bastards and not do anything about it. I get he knows what’s going on, but at least he’d suggest that she mix it up a little instead of all from the same guy. After the second one, looking the same as the first and looking nothing like the “official” father, literally everyone knows. You have to believe that he’s politically savvy enough to realize that this is a threat to his authority.

Speaking of kids, Alicent’s first born doesn’t seem like future king material. Really didn’t need to see him masturbating in the window.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of kids, Alicent’s first born doesn’t seem like future king material. Really didn’t need to see him masturbating in the window.

That was a bit bizarre. Yeah, he's a punk who brings zero to the table.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I agree. That was a big turn off for me. That was "The Boys" material right there. I actually stopped watching that series as it got too raunchy for my taste.

I'm wondering what the symbolism is with the rat. It keeps popping up. Daemon seems to change a little every episode.

As for the king turning a blind eye, his whole character this series has been a do-nothing who doesn't want to stir the pot.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5392 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
The entire show strikes me as a low budget, wannabe, Game of Thrones.

Because that is exactly what it is

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Had high hopes, not sure I will continue watching. It does feel like a wannabee half effort...

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
Had high hopes, not sure I will continue watching. It does feel like a wannabee half effort...

Yeah - but compared to the last season or two of GOT, it is genius! Look on the bright side.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post