Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2021 Login/Join 
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Other than Fabio the inline fours of Yamaha and Suzuki seemed to struggle a bit. It’s wild that Fabio can do so well while Maverick struggled mightily on essentially the same bike.

Did both run the same tire setup?

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4831 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You’re right. He did have a different set up. That as well as some bad luck at the beginning of the race really hurt Mav. Though Bags was making quite a charge towards the end of the race on Med-Med tires.

On the subject of tires this is VERY interesting. Fabio Quartararo's Andalusian Grand Prix victory was partly made possible by a preparation technique Michelin advised all MotoGP teams to do, but only the Yamaha and Suzuki riders acted upon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Tire selection can make or break a rider.
I wonder what he was thinking with that setup?
What were the track conditions?

I was so inspired by the Marquez win, I changed to oil on my CBR1000rr and challenged the first person I saw to a race. It was unbelievable. I beat Cindy and her FZ-07 like a drum. Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4831 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nice!! Those are great looking bikes. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Great race. MM put the hammer down. 11 consecutive is pretty impressive.

Olivera was doing great at reeling him in, just didn't have the pace.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
USGP Confirmed, Japan Cancelled

quote:

The FIM, IRTA and Dorna Sports can now announce a new date for the Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas in Austin, Texas. The event was previously postponed and will now take place from the 1st to the 3rd of October 2021.

The OR Grand Prix of Thailand will therefore take place a week later than previously scheduled, from the 15th to the 17th of October.

The FIM, IRTA and Dorna Sports must also confirm the cancellation of the Motul Grand Prix of Japan. The ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and resulting travel complications and logistical restrictions mean that it has not been possible to confirm the event at this time meaning that it will therefore not feature on the 2021 calendar. The FIM MotoGP™ World Championship looks forward to returning to race in front of the Japanese fans at their home Grand Prix in 2022.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
It's official; Aramco Racing Team VR46 sign three-year deal with Ducati

Doubt he takes a seat himself, but I bet you see him blasting around the track on one just to see how it goes.

Posts: 2831 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ Curious how all that works, with him being a Yamaha rider & now having a Ducati team.

I'm sure there's some serious NDAs in place.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just checked the COTA site, USGP tickets go on sale in July, no mention yet on any pricing levels.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Just checked the COTA site, USGP tickets go on sale in July, no mention yet on any pricing levels.

I’ve set myself up to get the sales updates. This may well be the last chance to see Valentino Rossi on any bike in the USA.

Posts: 2831 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm only 3 hours from COTA, so if the price is right, I may try to make it out for this one, even if it's just GA tickets.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post

Monster highside for Marquez in FP2. Sure he's gonna be feeling that one tomorrow & probably the next 2 weeks Eek I swear, Honda isn't gonna be happy until they kill someone. Even Marc is having a hard time taming the beast. Give the guy a bike that isn't trying to kill him every time he gets on it and I think he might get back into his rhythm. Maybe a KTM developed by the guy that developed his championship bikes Wink

ETA: Going with 1:32:996 for pole. Cool weather and possible rain for both qualifying sessions.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It’s the electronics and this happened at Portimao to Alex and Pol. I read Marc’s debrief today and unlike him, in his way, he talked some shit to Honda. “They need to fix” etc. He never does that.

COTA tickets aren’t bad. I used to go to Laguna every year and get a paddock suite ticket for $550. That included breakfast, lunch, and free drinks (soda, water, beer). That shit at COTA is like a grand. It’s the boxes between the track itself and the paddock. But GA is not bad at all. I’ll be going all 3 days of the weekend. May be my last chance to see Vale.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m trying to figure out the logistics to make COTA happen. Looks like I’m about a 23 hour drive away from COTA not factoring in any traffic or tomfoolery along the way. That’s not bad at all to get to see these guys race in person. This is a heck of a surprise. Kevin Schwantz was talking about this being a real possibility a few months ago and I dismissed it. Well dang, it appears he was right about the behind the scenes efforts that were underway to make it happen. Japan certainly helped out. I feel bad for Japan losing two GP races and having their Olympics get wrecked. The only silver lining I can think of is that the watch fans got a second Omega special edition Olympic watch for 2021 and its a masterpiece.

With Marquez in his current form COTA could be a heck of a race.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Is being a paying member of MotoGP the only way to watch the races if you don't have cable? Tried to catch the race this morning with no luck.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My DVR said it had recorded the GP this morning, it recorded some GMA sort of show & paralympics.
Set to record again at 9pm tonight.

Will be keeping an eye out on COTA, since it looks like F1 is not making a double weekend.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
Is being a paying member of MotoGP the only way to watch the races if you don't have cable? Tried to catch the race this morning with no luck.

GP.com has offered the livestream for I think 16-17 years now. American coverages has always been shit. The last time we had decent coverage of WSBK and MotoGP was when it was SpeedVision. There were commercials but they cut the races pretty good and also had a weekly recap show with interviews, insight, etc. But that was 16-17 years ago. If you want to watch the sport in the US you have to pony up for the GP.com membership. The good thing is you get all practices, races, interviews, and press conferences, and most importantly, not got damn commercials of any kind. The fee sucks but it’s actually worth it. For one it’s in 1080p which is far superior to the 720p you’ll get watching it on a commercial station, well 1080i. And if you have a 4K panel, it’ll upconvert the signal so the graphic/image quality is really spectacular. The paint on the bikes really pop. And you feel like you are right there. I can only imagine once Dorna upgrades to 4k streaming. Holy shit.

What US station gets the rights to broadcast changes every other year. Like they said above, often you’ll set your DVR and something else ran over, or they fucked up the schedule. It’s terrible. SpeedVision you’d get the 125cc and 250cc races, qualifying. For almost two decades on US stations you’ll get the race only, and usually not the supporting classes (GP.com you get can watch all Moto3/Moto2 practices, qualifying, and races). Then instead of using the GP.com feed, we’d get US buster ass announcers calling the race that should be at the local drag strip.

Cliffs: Just pays your monies and be done with it.

COTA: We already rented a house for the weekend. Book lodging quickly. Once the locals figure out that weekend is back on the schedule, they’ll all jack the prices.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Last year, whoever was the broadcaster was also doing Moto2. This year, you get the GP race only.

If I make it for COTA, I have an aunt in N Austin that I can likely crash with.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
First time watching a GP ag Assen.
First thought, wow thats a narrow track, in places. Eek
No points, but cool to see a Texan (and a Spring native) on the grid.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That interview with Maverick today right after the race... Eek I LOVED Aleix Espargaró‘s interview and thoughts on Maverick & Yamaha. That was great and quite intriguing. Mav is clearly not happy there.

Prefontaine is 100% correct. The MotoGP subscription is worth every single cent. The free practice, qualifying, race coverage and behind the scenes stuff is amazing. You also get access to the archives (unless that’s recently changed) and can go back an watch years of races. Totally worth the cost if you love motorcycles and racing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~