Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2021 Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Rins has a contract with Suzuki until 2022. I doubt Suzuki cuts him loose. Their biggest issue is the lack of a satellite team. Brivio leaving Suzuki for F1 hurt that process.

This is the long straight at Mugello today. I noticed both the Yamaha and Suzuki bikes tended to power wheelie all week when the course dipped slightly on the straight. The Ducati’s aero often kept the front end planted there as the bike rocketed past the inline fours with ease on the long straight. It was a fascinating thing to watch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The Ducati’s aero often kept the front end planted

That it does. Part of the issue with their ability to turn in too I believe. Give and take. I can't image trying to get these machines sorted. So much technical data to keep track of. It's amazing really!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finally got to watch. Crazy race for sure.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Binder to Stay at KTM Through 2024

quote:

Binder has spent much of his road racing career with KTM, coming through the Red Bull Rookies Cup into Moto3 in 2012 before joining KTM’s main Ajo Motorsport squad in 2016.

The South African dominated the season to win the Moto3 crown before spending three seasons in Moto2 with the Ajo KTM squad – finishing runner-up in 2019.

Graduating to MotoGP last year with the factory KTM squad, Binder stunned when he scored his and the Austrian marque’s first victory just three rounds into the campaign at Brno.

“I’m super, super happy to have signed again for three more seasons with KTM and it will take us up to ten years,” Binder said.

“It’s incredible to have been with this manufacturer for such a long time now and we’ve always had a good relationship.

“I’m extremely happy in KTM colours so it’s extra satisfying to have a long contract signed-up.

“It’s cool to have that belief and support from a company.

“It’s an honour. From here on we can focus on building ourselves towards the front.

“We are not terribly far away, and it would be really nice to do something great together.

“It’s exciting to see what these next years will bring.”

KTM motorsport boss Pit Beirer added: “This was a very easy contract for us to do because we love Brad as a racer and what he brings to the team, the factory and the MotoGP class.

“He was also very enthusiastic to make a big commitment to us and that says a lot for our progression and our potential in this championship.

“Sometimes you find a racer and a mentality that really fits with your own philosophy and the fact that Brad has come all the way to the top with us in a ten year period is a very special story.

“We’re really proud to continue racing with him and to keep setting new targets together.”

Binder’s current teammate Miguel Oliveira is expected to extend his stay with KTM, having stepped up to the factory squad this year.

At Tech 3, KTM looks set to shake-up its line-up there after it emerged the automatic renewal period on Danilo Petrucci’s contract has expired and KTM did not exercise the option.

Moto2 frontrunners at the Ajo squad Remy Gardner and Raul Fernandez are linked to promotions to MotoGP for 2022.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Remy Gardner joins KTM Tech3 for 2022

quote:

The current Moto2 world championship leader will remain in the KTM fold to make his premier class debut, while also returning to Tech 3 having competed for the French team in 2017 and 2018 in the intermediate category.

Fresh from his first win of the 2021 Moto2 campaign last time out in Mugello, Gardner will also follow in the footsteps of his father Wayne, who won the 1987 500cc world title in a top-class career which ran between 1983 to 1992.

Gardner is naturally delighted with the deal knowing his MotoGP future is secured, meaning he can focus on fighting for this year’s Moto2 world title.

“I’m extremely happy that KTM have given me this opportunity. It’s a dream come true for me and what we have worked for up until this point,” Gardner, who leads the Moto2 standings by six points, said. “It’s an incredible chance for me and I cannot wait to ride the bike.

“I just want to thank KTM for believing in me. Right now we need to focus on finishing 2021 in a strong way. I want to thank also everyone who has supported me to reach MotoGP. We’re just getting started.”

Gardner also becomes the latest name to reach MotoGP in KTM’s rider academy ladder, following on from current KTM MotoGP factory riders Miguel Oliveira and Brad Binder. On Tuesday, Binder agreed a new three-year deal to stay with the factory KTM squad until the end of 2024.

“It’s a real pleasure for us to bring Remy to MotoGP next season because we knew about his speed and ability for Moto2 and he has confirmed that potential,” Pit Beirer, KTM’s motorsport director, said.

“We believe there is much more to come from him and it’s important he has this opportunity to keep growing. Remy is a typical racer. He’s super-determined and never gives up. He’s exciting to watch and we’re looking forward to working with him in this next step.

“Again, we’re also showing that the KTM GP Academy can give the right opportunity for riders that want to go all the way.”

With Tech 3 signing up Gardner for 2022, it means either Iker Lecuona or Danilo Petrucci is set to leave the team at the end of this season.

Lecuona joined Tech 3 from the final round of the 2019 MotoGP season, while Petrucci arrived from the factory Ducati squad at the start of this year.

“Although we are flat out into our 2021 campaign, having done six races with pretty good results at the last two rounds, we as well also have to think what will be our future,” Herve Poncharal, Tech 3 team manager, said.

“Winston Churchill said, to govern is to foresee and I think we have to think about what could be the ideal line up for 2022.

“With Red Bull and KTM we have an incredible tool, starting from the Rookies Cup, going to the Moto3 world championship teams and then of course the official Moto2 team and therefore it was important to secure Remy Gardner, who is now leading the Moto2 world championship, having won the last round in Mugello in a very smart way.

“It was wise and good to secure him and to give him the chance to finally reach his dream, which is riding in MotoGP. We are very proud, happy and confident to welcome Remy. We believe he will be a strong asset to the KTM MotoGP line up and I think having taken this decision is going to help Remy to focus 100% on his Moto2 world championship and will also help us, the Tech 3 KTM Factory Racing Team, to focus on our 2021 season.”

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Rins to Miss Catalan GP

quote:

Team Suzuki Ecstar’s Alex Rins will miss this weekend’s Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya after suffering a cycling accident at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya on Thursday morning.

After the unfortunate fall, Rins was taken to Barcelona’s Universitari Dexeus Hospital for further examination and medical checks revealed a fracture in the radius bone. Suzuki have confirmed the fracture is immobilised and on Friday morning, Rins will undergo surgery, meaning he will not take part in his home Grand Prix.

The Hamamatsu factory have confirmed Rins won't be replaced at the Catalan GP, so reigning World Champion Joan Mir will be the sole Team Suzuki Ecstar representative during Round 7. Hopefully we will see Rins back on track in a couple of weekend's time at the Sachsenring.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
reigning World Champion Joan Mir will be the sole Team Suzuki Ecstar representative during Round 7

Suzuki doesn't have any sub riders?

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Suzuki’s tester is 2014 WSBK champion Sylvain Guintoli. He races wild cards occasionally but he is not going to be anywhere close to Rins level of performance so they will only run one GSX-RR.

**edit to add**

Are any of y’all trying to win Tissot’s pole predictor? If you can guess pole time you can win a Tissot watch. 1:38:691 for the win! Big Grin

Link to MotoGP pole predictor

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are any of y’all trying to win Tissot’s pole predictor? If you can guess pole time you can win a Tissot watch. 1:38:691 for the win! Big Grin

I was doing pretty good until that rain screwed me in Le Mans. Only 2 people got their full points for that one. I'm guessing 1:38:659 by Fabio This years bike is suiting him very well.

Tough break for Suzuki. Rins can't even keep a bicycle rubber side down Razz

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah barring anything extraordinary this recent crash basically boots Rins from any championship hopes. Which sucks because I was really rooting for Rins to have another amazing season. Mir appears to be quite confident and seems to think Suzuki is about to visit a few tracks where they believe they have a good shot at winning.

I’d love to see a race at the Red Bull Ring or Silverstone but not until the world returns a little bit more to how it was before China fucked everything up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Finally watched the Moto 2 race...Whew, what a finish. Sucks for Joe that he got penalized. I'll have to go back through and see if I can see where he exceeded track limits.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes! Am I reading into this incorrectly or is Maverick basically saying “I should never have left Suzuki” without actually saying it verbatim? VERY interesting Maverick Vinales interview

If he isn’t referring to leaving Suzuki a few years ago as a mistake what is the mistake that happened a few years ago that is he referring to and hoping he does not repeat?

The part about having to change his riding style to fit the bike etc and not getting it the way he wants makes me think he is missing the Hamamatsu manufacturer that gave him a ride in the big league.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
That’s how I read it too. I don’t think Mav will be around Moto GP after next year. He hasn’t given many results other than a few flashes of brilliance in an otherwise lackluster career in the big leagues. There’s a lot of talent coming up through 3 and 2 right now. I’d almost bet that he won’t be picked up by any major team for ‘23.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’d like to see him go back to Suzuki, he has the puzzle piece they need, fast qualifying times. But I believe he might have burned that bridge with his departure to Yamaha. Maybe on a satellite team if Suzuki can ever get one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m not going to spoil it so I’ll just say WHOA! Fabio Quatararo is insane! Have you ever seen something like what he did today during a race? The guy is fearless. Why did he do that!?!?!? Did he get too hot?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why did he do that!?!?!?

I know the commentators were hamming it up saying he must not have been "comfortable" but I think it was a simple wardrobe malfunction.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Managed to squeeze in the race before leaving for work this morning.
Lots of offs, was the T10 change that dramatic?

Definitely seemed odd with FQ, not sure if it was a suit malfunction, can't imagine you'd intentionally do that, but also not sure how it would unzip like that; didn't seem like a zipper malfunction, as they showed him zipping it on the in lap. I can only imagine how that must feel at 200mph.

Bummer for Mir, just can't beat that Ducati straightline speed. He put in a great race today & a lucky promotion with the FQ penalties.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Rins missing the race screwed Suzuki BIGTIME. They only had one bike to get track data. The inability to test all the tires and get a good feel for which one to choose ultimately cost Mir a chance to fight at the front. Compare that with the other manufacturers he was racing at the front that all had factory and satellite teams and all elected to go with a hard rear tire (compared to Mir’s medium).

I still think it was an amazing race. Miguel Oliveira and KTM were just brilliant. Did you see his consistency with those lap times!? That was just masterful.

**Edit to add**
I have a feeling this season is going to end up as a slug fest between Yamaha and Ducati with KTM as a wild card. I don’t think Suzuki expected the other manufacturers to improve as much as they did with the freeze on engine development.

Listening to a somewhat deflated Mir say they don’t have much to test right now and they need to get more creative with improving the GSX-RR and figure out how to get new parts to the team quicker was not confidence inspiring. He all but said the other manufacturers improved and we did not. Now that Rins health and shoulder is a question mark yet again it does not look good at all for Suzuki’s title defense hopes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Olivera's average was quite impressive, as was keeping FQ behind him.

Ducati seems to be at the front with the most bikes, if only by raw power? No one can touch them on the straights & they seem to be doing a good job of keeping the rubber side down.

FQ is pulling the Yamaha at the front, the other 3 aren't really putting it to the fight, it seems. MV was getting these yesterday, but VR & FM were stuck midfield.

The Suzuki still looks good in the turns, just nowhere with straightline speed compared to the competition, though JM did have the 2nd highest trap speed that I saw when it popped up. I'm guessing that was with a tow from the Duc.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The only time you will see the GSX-RR going fast on the straight right now is when it’s slipstreaming a Ducati. Suzuki is the only manufacturer currently without a ride height adjuster. This hurts them in the top speed category and it appears Mir has been a bit open about his frustration with Suzuki dragging their feet with new parts to test.

Despite the lack of a ride height adjustment system Suzuki has seen some incredible starts so it isn’t hurting them in that regard. Or at least it doesn’t seem to be hurting them too much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~