SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It was boring. Rain normally makes thing variable and more fun. Not this week.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
For a no DRS race, it wasn't bad. Glad VB gets a win.
Ocon did the entire race on a single set of tires.

Max goes into Austin with a 6 pt lead, I believe.

Ocon was lucky to get away with it. Post-race photos show a large chunk missing on his right front tire. One or two laps more and that tire would have disintegrated.

https://f1i.com/news/421067-oc...-in-the-factory.html

Agree it was mostly a dull race, except for Hammy and Perez going wheel-to-wheel for 4-5 corners.

I still don’t get Gasly getting a penalty. It was Turn 1 on the first lap, in the wet, and someone was in the inside of him, so he had no place to go. The stewards have let a lot worse Turn 1 stuff go on all season.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A very tactical race, unexpected given the conditions and the track. This should have been a wild and exciting race.
Lewis' mistake was not coming in when the team first told him to. He couldn't earlier, to cover Max's stop, because he was far enough behind that he wouldn't fall into the same gap as Max. Not his or teams fault at that point, just the circumstances he was in so he had to go on at that point.
If he had stopped when called by the team towards the end, he would have had more laps to try to use the advantage, however small, of the new tires after they recovered from the graining phase.
He didn't for several laps, but probably only lost one position due to that mistake. He would have lost big time if it had started raining harder at the end and still on the first tire set or had a tire failure like Ocon was close to having.
Poor Sainz, a poor pit stop.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
A very tactical race, unexpected given the conditions and the track. This should have been a wild and exciting race.
Lewis' mistake was not coming in when the team first told him to.

He thought his tires were find and he could always dive in for a change if he needed to. What he didn't take into consideration was the graining the Intermediates needed before they would start working.

I was listening to Peter Winsors podcast and he said they take about 5 laps to get up to speed...that's why you heard Lewis complaining about them "not working" and him sliding around. If he had come in when they first called him to "box", his tires would have had time to "come alive" and give him a run at the cars ahead

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Go Max!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sainz really had the bit between his teeth, but his pit crew let him down. He is only 1/2 point behind Laclerc.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Sainz really had the bit between his teeth, but his pit crew let him down. He is only 1/2 point behind Laclerc.

He’s actually 1/2 point ahead of Leclerc.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected....

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
Michael Andretti possibly buying into F1 and bringing Colton Herta with him.https://currently.att.yahoo.com/autos/connecting-dots-possible-michael-andretti-205500556.html

Posts: 456 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, with her one win in like 350 starts, and no F1 experience, I’m sure she can provide some valued commentary. But hey, if they give Crofty air time every race, I guess anything is possible.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
The absolute very best part of this is Ricciardo now gets to drive Dale Earnhardt‘s car from the Zak Brown collection!

And they are smart enough to take advantage of the press this will get in the USA. Looks like Zak had his car shipped to the States for Daniel to drive at COTA this weekend. Good for the fans, should attract some NASCAR eyes, and great for Danny Ric! Hope he has fun and gives it hell.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The absolute very best part of this is Ricciardo now gets to drive Dale Earnhardt‘s car from the Zak Brown collection!

And they are smart enough to take advantage of the press this will get in the USA. Looks like Zak had his car shipped to the States for Daniel to drive at COTA this weekend. Good for the fans, should attract some NASCAR eyes, and great for Danny Ric! Hope he has fun and gives it hell.

Hoping that gets covered on the broadcast coverage.
DR is one of my favorites, hated seeing him languish at Renault.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Well, at least we know what her lead focus is going to be now.

Danica Patrick Challenges F1 To Make Female Drivers ‘Feel Welcome’

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whatever. Get a female driver to do well in a F1 feeder series like F2 or get someone to put up a ton of sponsor money and buy a seat. The same as for men. The reality is that none of the top teams are going to take a chance on a driver without having some evidence that they are going to be successful. Most of the big teams have driver academies or programs to develop talent that they select drivers from. They usually don’t have drivers just parachute in from outside. That leaves the back marker teams who are looking for pay drivers, but that means being stuck in a crappy car, but maybe you’ll show enough talent to move up in a couple of years, and maybe you won’t and just be frustrated.

The problem isn’t F1 not making women feel welcome. It’s women not being in a position that F1 teams want to pick them up, and a lot of that is due to things outside of F1.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think F1 is necessarily 'unwelcome' to female drivers, just that none are at the level necessary.

I think it was Susie Wolff that said that physiologically it is harder for female drivers.
I think her lap times were something like 3-5 seconds slower than Bottas in the same car.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'll just leave this here

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Well, with her one win in like 350 starts, and no F1 experience, I’m sure she can provide some valued commentary. But hey, if they give Crofty air time every race, I guess anything is possible.

At least she can speak English. It’s more than Paul diResta can do…

As far as female drivers, Simona deSilvestro was a Sauber junior driver that had a solid IndyCar career with crap teams and terrible equipment, but she got hushed away with Monisha Caltenborn after Monisha stole Geido van der Garde’s money and gave his race seat to someone else. It was a wasted opportunity for someone that could do a lot more than Suzie Wolff, but Simona wasn’t married to the head of the Mercedes F1 program.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
It'll be interesting to see how Lewis dresses up in Saudi Arabia.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Close all the way to the end.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post