SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I can't blame the penalty on Max (and I'm not a big Max fan), maybe even the team...

My mistake. I watched part of the race, and saw the collision in the pits that resulted in the penalty. My earlier comment was based on Verstappen's bumping Hamilton at the chicane on about the 76th or 77th lap, which I thought was the reason for the penalty.

Yeah, the pit incident was just one of those things. Too much Ferrari team blocking Verstappen's crew's view.

Hitting Hamilton was pure recklessness on Verstappen's part.

This sort crap is why Monaco is the only race I'll watch this year, and that's just because it's been tradition for me to follow it, going back to the early 1960's.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Perez coming out of the pits, safety car on track --

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek
A few lucky guys there. No idea what they were doing on that part of the track?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Eek

Running for their lives!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eek

They were picking up loose car parts/debris that caused the yellow, during the full course yellow. It was all around the track and has nowhere to go by itself at Monaco with walls at the edge of the track.
Perez didn't need to re-enter at warp speed and didn't slow much, if at all, and clearly saw them. He simply dodged the moving targets.
Since they were all going to end up behind the pace car and you can't overtake, he could have showed a little more (all of them) respect to those that are out there to make him safer.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perez didn't need to re-enter at warp speed and didn't slow much, if at all, and clearly saw them. He simply dodged the moving targets...

Perez did slow some, lift or brake not sure. With an F1 car's braking ability, I would think he should have been hard on the clampers. He didn't have much time to react. Like Max and Bottas in the pit incident, the track curve limits view except for the immediate.

I wonder about Perez's choice to go straight. Two guys in front moving right, I think I'd have moved left. Except that crosses the pit exit line, conditioned not to risk that? Probably, staying off the racing line seems prudent. Anyway, Perez got real lucky when the trailing worker stopped and leaned back, creating a gap for Perez.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Eek

They were picking up loose car parts/debris that caused the yellow, during the full course yellow. It was all around the track and has nowhere to go by itself at Monaco with walls at the edge of the track.
Perez didn't need to re-enter at warp speed and didn't slow much, if at all, and clearly saw them. He simply dodged the moving targets.
Since they were all going to end up behind the pace car and you can't overtake, he could have showed a little more (all of them) respect to those that are out there to make him safer.

I remember Leclerc's car shedding floor & tire bits, just didn't realize it was that widespread.

Either way, a lucky day for all 3 involved here.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Nice tribute video from Mercedes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...xHO2tehH5XPWU3Cm24dA

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
watched some of the practice today for the Montreal race

it was nice to see LeClerc bounce back from Monaco - I hope he manages to keep it going through the weekend

it also warmed my heart to see Hammy hit the wall and take out the back end of the car...couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I can’t imagine that’s the result F1 and the FIA wanted to see.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Booo!

Guess when I changed the channel.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Letting the Stewards decide the race in Hamilton’s favor is the last straw for me. Screw F1...I’ll watch Indy and IMSA.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Great race, bad call.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
My take, no contact, no damage, no penalty.

Seb has minimal control in the grass, finds just enough back on the racing surface to keep off Hammy and the wall. Lew had to know the red car was headed back on track, he either slightly lifted or braked. Not sure most other drivers could have avoided contact, these two pulled it off. Dangerous driving? Once Seb was back on track, just the opposite. Well done, guys.

When it happened, one of the announce team said Seb hadn't made a mistake, something about the nature of that point in the track created the problem. I refuse to run the DVR back to see what was said (joyfully erased), after that, Seb made a mistake, end of story.

Funny how earlier, Perez bounced Grosjean off track, "rubbin's racing in these parts" was the idiot observation by one.

In this case, no contact, no penalty, pure racing incident.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
awesome race - best I've seen so far

bad outcome

I hope Ferrari appeals it - given the response time from the driver actually in the car and doing the work, the stewards blew it big time

Ferrari has the best car this weekend, had the best race and made the right decisions for the first time this season and the stewards culdn't have anyone but Merc win

what a disgrace

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I kinda think Hammy would have won this without the incident. Vettel's car seemed to have lost its edge. At worst, the stewards should have had Vettel give up the lead, we'd have still had a fight to the finish. Maybe.

F1's most embarrassing day since the Michelin debacle at Indy where three teams competed.

posted Hide Post
I recorded it, but it sounds like I shouldn't bother to watch it. I knew Seb won pole and hoped he would do well.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I recorded it, but it sounds like I shouldn't bother to watch it. I knew Seb won pole and hoped he would do well.

So sorry if we spoiled this for you. It was hard for me to keep my mouth shut on this one, should have used "spoiler alert".

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Too bad that the officials became such a big part of the story.
Nice to watch a race where the race for the lead is the story, not just the midfield guys. The midfield races were probably good too but they got a lot less coverage than normal due to action for the win.
Vettel made the error that started the controversy but wasn't the only one. Grosjean went off on the first lap across the runoff and reentered right into the middle of others and no mention was made.
When Vettel came back on he had dirt on his tires and did a great job to regain control. If he actually did that and was still able to intentionally block Lewis but not squeeze him into the wall that was an amazing piece of driving. Vettel never went over the white line that everyone goes over there and appeared to give room.
I thought it looked like part great driving, and part dumb luck that it worked out.
The slow motion where you can see how close they were to each other and also the outside wall is amazing.

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...8zwsPK8lenGCRn3.html