SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Some deep discounts on merch. Put 2 shirts in a cart (polo & t-shirt) for less than the normal full price of the polo.
Need some Alfa gear & really tempted by some of the Gulf/McLaren stuff.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15312 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
1988 McLaren

This is long but a worthwhile video on the Prost/Senna McLaren of their killer 1988 season.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
1988 McLaren

This is long but a worthwhile video on the Prost/Senna McLaren of their killer 1988 season.

One thing I didn't hear mentioned about that season, beyond winning 15 out of 16 races.
Senna was leading the Italian GP but was taken out by a lapped car. Prost had stopped earlier due to an engine problem.
That was the only race they didn't win that season and not through their fault at all.
That was also a notable race because the Gerhard Berger Ferrari ended up the winner at Monza, just after the passing of Enzo Ferrari.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
11th Team - Andretti/Cadillac?

quote:

Andretti Global and General Motors have announced plans to enter a new Formula 1 team in the coming years under the latter’s Cadillac brand.

Andretti revealed last February that it was planning to open an F1 operation in the future, and spent much of the 2022 season discussing the possibility of expanding the field with the existing 10 teams.

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem revealed on Twitter earlier this week that he had asked his team to look at starting the process for expressions of interest from potential new F1 teams, marking a first step to expanding the grid.

In an announcement made on Thursday, Andretti and General Motors revealed their plan to enter an “all-American team” in response to the FIA’s call for expressions of interest as an Andretti Cadillac team.

“We are continuing to grow Andretti Global and its family of racing teams and always have our eyes on what’s next,” said Michael Andretti, the chairman and CEO of Andretti Global.

“I feel that we are well suited to be a new team for Formula 1 and can bring value to the series and our partners, and excitement for the fans.

“I’m proud to have GM and Cadillac alongside us as we pursue this goal. GM and Andretti share a legacy born out of the love of racing. We now have the opportunity to combine our motorsport passions and dedication to innovation to build a true American F1 bid.”

Andretti, the chairman and CEO of Andretti Global, would not be drawn on when the new team would be ready to join the grid, saying it would “depend on the expression of interest, how long that takes, and where we are at the time.”

“But we are going to be on-track when it all makes sense to be on-track,” he added.

The potential team would initially receive a power unit supply from another engine manufacturer, but both Andretti and Cadillac are set to offer technical support as part of a collaboration.

The team would operate chiefly out of the new Andretti Global headquarters that is under construction in Fishers, Indiana, due to start operations in 2025. A satellite facility would also operate out of Europe for the team, as well as aiding with Andretti’s other racing interests.

F1 has not had a new team since Haas joined the grid in 2016, but there is understood to be interest from a number of parties about joining the field in the future.

The process for Andretti and Cadillac to join the grid is one that requires the support of F1 itself and the current teams, only two of which have been publicly supportive of Andretti's plans amid concerns of the potential financial impact.

Any new team joining the F1 field is required to pay a $200 million fee as a dilution fund that is split between the current grid to make up for splitting the teams’ payouts with another entrant.

Since first discussing plans to join the F1 grid, Andretti has been vocal about wishing to field an American driver in one of its seats, namely Colton Herta, who races for Andretti Autosport in IndyCar.

Asked by Motorsport.com if the plan was still to hand Herta one of the seats, Andretti said: “We definitely have plans to have an American driver. I think you all know who is leading the pack on that one.

“Colton we have under contract right now in Indycar. We want to make this an all-American effort to make sure we have an American driver in the seat.”

Cadillac’s interest in Formula 1 follows an expansion of its racing operations in recent times to include an entry to the World Endurance Championship under the new LMDh regulations.

“Cadillac and F1 both have growing global appeal,” said Mark Reuss, the president of General Motors. “Our brand has a motorsports pedigree that’s more than a century in the making, and we would be proud to have the opportunity to bring our distinct American innovation and design to F1.”

Posts: 15312 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
At the very least, it shuts up Toto Wolff in regards that Andretti brings nothing to the table, and F1 has been looking for more engine suppliers. It should be interesting to see how competitive this package would be for the new engine regulations.

Posts: 4164 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Are the new engine regs radical enough that a new supplier (Cadillac i.e.) would have a chance to be competitive, everyone being on a more equal footing?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Should be interesting to see how both the teams and organizers (plural) react to this.
The FIA just pointed out that they have to satisfy both the F-1 organizers and FIA for this to happen.
I guess that simply means their is a second group with their hand out or needing backscratching ($$$) plus the other team owners.
Besides that, the Andretti organization hasn't exactly been dominating the Indycar field lately and this is a big step up in almost every area.

Also sounds like they will be starting out with an existing and unnamed suppliers engine.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...power-unit-supplier/

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Porsche, until GM gets their PU up to snuff?

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
^^^^

Are the new engine regs radical enough that a new supplier (Cadillac i.e.) would have a chance to be competitive, everyone being on a more equal footing?

So far, it sounds like the only thing different is the deletion of the MGU-H. I'm not sure if any other details have been released.

Posts: 4164 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Porsche, until GM gets their PU up to snuff?

They already have an agreement with Renault/Alpine for engines before the GM backing came out.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
James Vowles to be new Team Principal at Williams.
Didn’t see that coming. Wonder if anyone else will follow?
This might be another unanticipated effect of the budget cap. Not just car development is limited by funds. The big spending teams have to limit spending but have formerly built the teams around whatever they had. That was a lot more for some like Mercedes.
Since Williams is a Mercedes affiliate, I suppose this is less surprising.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...-new-team-principal/

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
And while not technically F1 news, Kevin Magnussen will probably not take part of the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona due to hand surgery.

https://racer.com/2023/01/13/h...x-24-run-into-doubt/

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
In news that will sadden no one:

https://racer.com/2023/01/17/f...ace-axed-chinese-gp/

quote:
F1 won't replace axed Chinese GP
Chris Medland January 17, 2023 7:08 AM ET

The 2023 Formula 1 season will consist of 23 races as this year’s Chinese Grand Prix will not be replaced on the schedule.

China was originally on this season’s calendar as the fourth round of the season between Australia and Azerbaijan, but was cancelled once again due to the COVID-19 situation in the country. Although China reopened its borders at the start of this year and wanted to speak to F1 about being reinstated, an agreement couldn’t be reached for it to retake its slot given uncertainty over how other regions are reviewing travel to and from the country.

F1 analyzed potential replacements for the race but did not find a suitable alternative that would work logistically in an already-record calendar, and as a result has opted against substituting China with another venue.

Given the planning required for the early part of the season and tickets already being on sale for events, no other dates will change meaning there will be a three-week gap in the schedule between the Australian Grand Prix on April 2 and the Azerbaijan Grand Prix on April 30, with the latter forming the first part of a double-header with Miami.

China has not held a race since 2019, having been the first grand prix called off when the COVID-19 pandemic evolved and restrictions remained tight over the following years. At the end of 2021, F1 extended its contract to race in Shanghai until 2025, when F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said “China will be restored to the calendar as soon as conditions allow”.

This year’s calendar is already the largest in F1’s history at 23 races, with the addition of Las Vegas and returning Qatar Grand Prix only offset by France dropping off from 2022.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2023 Livery launches are all announced

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Haas VF-23 Livery Reveal
https://www.formula1.com/en/la...wRq0W67E02WkPsV.html

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I think it looks good, but still prefer the VF17 color in battleship gray

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Reb Bull is next, on Friday.
I guess their apparel site is up, haven't looked, but have read that the designs aren't all that exciting. Hoping we don't end up with a drab field of liveries.
At least the Alfa should still be a pretty car, and the Silver Arrows are always a personal favorite, now that they're not black arrows anymore.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
So FIA has opened up the application process with revisions.
I'm not in a position to understand what all the talk about bringing value to society and sustainability means in real terms.

I suspect that's really a bunch of vague terms to allow them to put up roadblocks as needed or if needed.
They seem to have made it look more practical to buy a Team like Haas as opposed to jumping through all these ever changing hoops.

This is also a slow time of the year for real F1 news too so that may factor in some too.
I'll be glad when the cars start to hit the track again in a few weeks, even just for testing.

My next question is how to watch racing next year. We watch so little regular TV anymore that paying even $65 a month ($650 for the ten months we use it) for Youtube TV is starting to make one of the subscription service versions, like Sky, look a lot better. I also need Indycar so that throws a curve ball in there since I don't think Sky helps that. Each series is also not showing all the sessions anymore at certain events.

It's possible that a dedicated subscription to each series would be the best bet and you get much more coverage if you want it.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...application-process/

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
F1TV is $80/yr or $10/mo

https://www.formula1.com/en-us/subscribe-to-f1-tv

If they ever release an app for Samsung smart TVs, I'm all in on it.
But, I don't want to deal with streaming it from another device when I have Sky via ESPN on YTTV.