SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... 228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
So I guess the new standard is when you win the race, they interview the tennis player standing next to you? WTF?

Interesting race. Somehow Mercedes managed to make Ferrari look good by being even worse. Aside from the wheel nut issue that took out Bottas, Hamilton managed to essentially lose two places since he should have been 5th after Leclerc and Bottas dropped out.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It's about time Lewis had some bad luck. At the rate he whines, you'd think he drove for Haas.

Posts: 4154 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Gutted for VB, MBZ manages to spoil his race in the pits just about every time he's ahead of LH.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'm going out on a limb but little Lew Lew may be feeling the pressure. He knows quali is everything at Monaco and stunk it up Saturday. Listening to his radio today, he seemed to be suffering. Good.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Gutted for VB, MBZ manages to spoil his race in the pits just about every time he's ahead of LH.
I guess your statement remains true because the damage occurred in the pit area, but it seems it happened before the race began, not at the pit stop during Bottas’ tire change. No excuse for that, time constraint not the same as the expected 2 second race stop.

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...ck-mercedes/6514622/

Bottas Wheel Nut Still Stuck on Mercedes Car After Pitstop Issue

Mercedes will only be able to remove the wheel nut from Valtteri Bottas’s Formula 1 car upon returning to its factory after his race-ending pitstop issue in Monaco.

Luke Smith May 24, 2021, 3:06 AM

Bottas ran second through the opening stint of Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix, sitting five seconds behind leader Max Verstappen when he came into the pits on Lap 30 to change tyres.

But Mercedes was unable to get the front-right tyre off Bottas’s car, leaving him stuck in the pits. Despite the team’s best efforts, it was forced to retire the car, bringing the Finnish driver’s day to an early end.

Mercedes technical director James Allison explained how the nut had become machined to the axle by the wheel gun, causing it to get stuck.

“If we don’t quite get the pitstop gun cleanly on the nut, then it can chip away at the driving faces of the nut,” Allison said.

“We call it machining the nut. It is a bit like when you take a Phillips head screwdriver, and you don’t get it squarely in the cross of the screwdriver.

“You start to round off the driving face of the screwdriver slots, and then you just simply can’t take the screw out of whatever it is you are trying to take it out of because you have no longer got the driving faces.

“A very similar thing happens with our pitstop nuts if the gun starts spinning and chipping off the driving faces of the wheel nut.

“Given the power of the gun, you can end up with no driving face and you just machine the nut down to a place where there is nothing left to grab a hold of, and that is what we had today.”

Allison revealed that Mercedes was unable to get the wheel nut off the car at all, requiring a high-power drill to make the removal back at the factory.

“We eventually didn’t get the wheel off, it is sat in our garage with the wheel still on it,” Allison said.

“It will have to be ground off, get a Dremel out and painfully slice through the remnants of the wheel nut. We will do that back at the factory.”

Bottas’s retirement cost Mercedes a likely podium finish in Monaco, allowing Red Bull to move into the lead of the constructors’ championship by one point after Lewis Hamilton could only finish seventh.

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff said that there were “many factors” that contributed to the issue, refusing to put it down to a single error.

“We need to review the design, we need to review the material of our wheel nut, because the mechanics that operate the wheel nuts need to do it in a way that you can’t machine it off,” Wolff said.

“And as a matter of fact, a mechanic that did that is one of the best, and one of the fittest in terms of pitstop speed, that the team has.

“So there are always things coming together. It’s never someone’s fault, it’s always multi-faceted.”

The wheel nut design on the Mercedes (pictured above) is not like those fitted on road cars.

Instead, it is custom built and is dome shaped. It features two vertical extensions that are captured by the wheel gun to rotate the nut on and off.

It was these extensions that were machined off during the Bottas stop and meant the gun had nothing to grab on to.

Posts: 4154 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
So why was Monaco this Sunday instead of Memorial Day weekend? It kinda takes away from the biggest day in racing.

Posts: 459 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
As expected, a procession around the streets of Monaco. An announcer called it a strategic race - um, okay. On to Baku, but will say I enjoyed the post race conference and the three up there will be racing for Championships over the next decade. Carlos’ answer describing the talent on the grid as incredibly high is spot on. Congrats to the top 3 teams and drivers, condolences to VBottas poor guy cannot catch a break.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hooch:
So why was Monaco this Sunday instead of Memorial Day weekend? It kinda takes away from the biggest day in racing.

They're trying not to have too many big events on one day. After Alonso running the Indy 500 and Bernie scheduling an F1 race on the same day as LeMans, they try not to do that.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hooch:

I'm not sure what determines the exact date for Monaco but this isn't the first time they have been on different weekends.
Years ago when Mario Andretti was running F-1, he missed first week qualifying for Indy because he was running Monaco.
I don't remember the last time it's happened this way but liked having the races on the same day.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice while watching the race, but read it earlier today.
There wasn't a single yellow flag in the entire race. Can't remember the last time we had a flag to flag race without [on-track] incident.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^

No point in taking any chances, huh? Not so much a race as an exhibition.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Unrelated, but just watched a few laps of Nascar at COTA.
Track limits mean nothing, taking turns to the limit of the pavement.
Also, it looks so cumbersome & slow. Stark difference to F1, obviously.

Didn't see lap times to check how much slower. IIRC, Indy was 4-6sec/lap. Nascar looked quite a bit slower, but it was raining/wet.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Saw article this morning where Toto was assigning part of the blame to VB for stopping just short of his marks on the pitstop. Wow, they just can't help but beat on him can they?

Also Ferrari apparently acknowledged the left shaft was in fact damaged in the accident and they just didn't closely inspect that part of the car? WTH??? How would they not have been doing a detailed inspection of every single component after a hit that hard? Unreal.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Also Ferrari apparently acknowledged the left shaft was in fact damaged in the accident and they just didn't closely inspect that part of the car? WTH??? How would they not have been doing a detailed inspection of every single component after a hit that hard? Unreal.

Ahhh, itsa looksa good enuffa

Posts: 2478 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Each team is only allowed a small amount of time after qualifying to check over their cars. I believe that it is something like 1-2 hours. After that, they can not be near the cars.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Each team is only allowed a small amount of time after qualifying to check over their cars. I believe that it is something like 1-2 hours. After that, they can not be near the cars.

True, but if you're concerned about it, you can 'break curfew' & take a penalty.
Lose/lose in this case.
Inspect further, break curfew, take penalty.
Replace gearbox, break curfew, take penalty.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
It was heartwarming to hear Hamilton whining throughout the race.

Felt bad for Bottas, bad management in retrospect. Wouldn't have happened under Enzo's watch.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I saw some comments on other sites that pointed out that Bottas’ other three wheels came on/off just fine.
Lewis made kind of an ass of himself with all of the complaining. Things that are best discussed in private.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post