SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Classic Country Music
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic Country Music Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Emmylou Harris. Beautiful woman and a beautiful voice. She reminds me a lot of Nanci Griffith for some reason.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite country story tellers...Tom T Hall:

This one is slightly more modern, but I consider it a true western love song.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Westerns were all the rage on TV in the 50's and most of the 60's, so it only makes sense that it bled over into music.

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post

The first Dwight Yoakum song I ever heard; the great Pete Anderson on lead guitar.

Posts: 13154 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Not really a "classic" in a time sense, but a great tune.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gus. I absolutely think “Little Rock” is a classic, using the classic car definition of 25 years or more; there was some great Country music in the 90s.

I can’t listen to a Dan Seals recording and not think of this one, probably his best known.

You might have recognized Janie Fricke on the stage with Dan Seals.

I’ve always loved the female singers, I could imagine they were singing to me. Of the “pure Country” singers, I always thought she was the best. My wife and I saw Tammy and Jones live back in the 80s. I don’t know if her technique was perfect, or if she was just blessed (probably both), but I thought she could sing to the back of the performance hall without a microphone, incredible power.

Posts: 13154 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

And one written by the great Steve Goodman.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post

This is a great song. I’ve always termed it “LA Blues”

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5290 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Loved Johnny Horton. North To Alaska, Whispering Pines, ect...

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
now Country is basically easy listening,

I find modern country music like a bad parody. A bunch of guys sounding like they think they're supposed to sound, or doing what corporate tells them. I've always said country singers were fake. lol The twang, the affect. Now days when I hear it it's so bad I cringe. Linguistically speaking a British accent and a southern accent are very close to being the same thing. Yet when Brits sing, really no accent. Country? Tons of accent. It's a put on. Big Grin

I could not agree with you more. It's been a couple of years, but I thought this fellow did a great take down on the current state of Country music.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6363 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
As a Northerner, I was not brought up on Country music. But, in the mid-80s, I drove from Chicago to Dallas to visit my sister who'd moved there.

On the way, scanning the radio dial, this song by a guy I'd never heard of was wildly popular and I was hooked.

Later on, I started listening to another fellow who didn't get much airtime in Chicago. My friends groaned when I'd put on his albums, but I didn't care. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6363 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Emmylou Harris is my favorite female vocalist of all. Some may argue that she’s not “pure Country,” more Americana, ...

You won't get an argument from me. She may not be "pure Country", but she is fantastic.

I love her version of Evangeline.

Similarly, Eilen Jewell may not be pure Country, but I like her music a lot.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Eilen Jewell’s guitar player is Jerry Miller, and he’s outstanding!

I like his solo on this one

Speaking of guitar players (and Emmylou).
I don’t know what the problem is with embedding this video, it’s Vince Gill at the 2007 Clapton Guitar Festival. It’s a fun perf and worth following the link to YT. The drummer is Billy Cannon, who’s played with Vince for years. The bass player is Michael Rhodes, a Nashville based player who does a lot of touring and session work; I’ve seen him twice touring with Joe Bonamassa.

Albert Lee

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Eilen Jewell’s guitar player is Jerry Miller, and he’s outstanding!

I like his solo on this one

Great song.

One more Emmylou Harris. She did an album and tour with Mark Knopfler. Definitely not Country, but I think her work with Knopfler speaks volumes for her range and talent.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
No Garth yet.