SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Some bars have great collections, too. It's a nice way sample a few.

Casual tastings at homes are the best, imo.

Unpretentious, a bunch of open bottles on a bar or table at someone's house, help yourself, have seconds, etc. Someone brings Oyster Crackers, maybe some Aged Gouda, sometimes there's a pool table, some guys have cool basement bars, it's awesome.

Most American cities/areas have dudes doing this already, I imagine. 2-10 people, usually 3-6 or so, time or three a year, that's been my experience.

There are dedicated whiskey and Bourbon forums, too, and there are meetups, locally and in Kentucky for tours and shopping trips.

There's usually one super nerd in each group or a dude with a bunch of them to try, and the ones I've met in a few states have all been quite generous and normal folk.

I learned a ton in one particular year in about six meetups, month or so apart. Well over 100 things to try in that period, made some friends, and once in a while they'll even be super nice and let you buy a bottle from their stash/boonker...

Whiskey Networking is real. What stores have what. The occasional trade or sale...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
A friend called me today and told me Buffalo Trace was on hand in the town about 20 miles away. It was a beautiful day for a road trip, so I went.

I haven't had BT before, and after an initial sample I can say, "I like it."

God bless America.

Posts: 13419 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay, I had my first tasting of the 46.

Nose: -OH coming off was too strong. Made me cough. I was using a glencairn glass so maybe it concentrated the vapors a bit. But I didn't get any pleasant notes, just a blast of -OH. Will try again next time after letting it breath a little.

Taste: less sweet, less fruity and more dry than the BT. After the first tasting, I like the BT considerable more. I liked the BT from the first tasting. I'll give the 46 some additional chances.

The 46 is definitely hotter than the BT; it's not a long burn but definitely hotter. I prefer the milder burn of the BT.

I'll give it another half dozen shots or so. We'll see if it grows on me. Otherwise, I'll give this bottle away like the Larceny and go on to the next candidate. Or maybe really just stick to BT.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12682 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it takes a few samples to get a true flavor profile. Air introduced to the bottle can alter the taste. I cracked open a fresh bottle and it was different than a bottle that I have been drinking. The previous bottle started out similar to this bottle but "aged" , oxidized for the technical term, extremely well. The vanilla, caramel, and toffee really came through towards the end of that bottle. Some of the best pours come after a few drinks from the initial ones.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I have spent way to much money trying bourbons, if it’s not made in KY I don’t bother, if it’s made in Tenn it’s not for me, if has been aged in anything other than a new charred oak barrel no thanks, solera fuck you to, rolled around the hold of ship dump that shit overboard, orphan barrel my ass you think some amazing booze was passed over for someone to magically find, no that crap was sampled and passed on by people who know bourbon.

I pretty much mostly drink Buffalo Trace products. E H Taylor small batch IMHO the best value on the market.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hit some of my spots last Saturday to see what unique stuff I could find and in one store walked out with an Old Forester Single Barrel, Barrel Proof that was also a store pick. It'll be awhile before I crack it open but at 130 proof I might need a little ice with this one.

This is also the place where I can usually score a bottle of Eagle Rare once in awhile if I talk to the manager but I couldn't get anywhere near him this visit. I'm guessing something special came in because there was a guy in talking to him when I got there and an employee was coming out of the office with something in a bag headed to the register and not 10 minutes later there was another guy in there talking with them as well and I saw the same employee coming out with a different bag. At this store all of the allocated stuff stays in the managers office and when you are in there all you have to do is ask what he has, he'll tell you and if there is something you want he'll give you 1 bottle to purchase. He said it keeps someone from coming in and wiping him out of everything.

Had a lead on some Blanton's and when I got there it was all gone. Guy told me that someone came in and bought 5 bottles just a couple days before I came in and asked.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got some questions for the bourbon gurus:

1) Does an opened bottle of bourbon keep indefinitely, or is there a lifespan?

2) Mixing bourbon and water (for those that do):
- regular or soda?
- how much do you use?
- only on some bourbons, or all?
- what does water accomplish in the overall taste and enjoyment of bourbon?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Got some questions for the bourbon gurus:

1) Does an opened bottle of bourbon keep indefinitely, or is there a lifespan?

2) Mixing bourbon and water (for those that do):
- regular or soda?
- how much do you use?
- only on some bourbons, or all?
- what does water accomplish in the overall taste and enjoyment of bourbon?

1. For the most part, yes. At least as far as being safe. Flavor shouldn't change a ton unless the seal goes bad or it has major temperature variations or something like that.

2. Regular water or an ice cube, as I like my whisky slightly cooled. Specifically for tasting, just a splash of water. For drinking maybe two small rocks or ine big rock. It can be used on any bourbons. The science says adding a bit of water frees the flavor molecules up to be smelled by the human nose better. Apparently those molecules bind with alcohol molecules but adding water "releases" them. I feel that it is especially effective for knocking down the alcohol-forward flavor and nose, which I guess is saying the same thing.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10469 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An open bottle should keep indefinitely. You’ll want to store it upright and out of direct sunlight. Dark and cool is better but not totally necessary. Make sure the seal is tight. As the volume lowers oxidation can occur. You’re generally fine until you get 30% left or so. Note that sometimes a little oxidation improves things for some people.

On the ice and water front it’s all personal preference. Experiment. A dropper helps control the added water. Some pours might benefit some might not. Water can open up a pour or make it a mess. Ice can open up or dilute the same way. Note that cold tends to close off some taste.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen the first batch of Booker’s for this year? Has not hit here in Idaho yet, but keeping my fingers crossed.

A couple weeks ago we had a strange, but super drop of EHT single barrel and batch 8 of the EHTBP. Like cases to most stores. I’m not complaining, just odd.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
I haven't run across Booker's at all down here in Tampa but I sure wish we had your EHT release!

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Finally found my 2022-01 Bookers at the end of May, it is solid and will revisit this weekend after getting a chance to breath.

Idaho dropped their collective Elijah Craig Barrel Proof private barrel picks last Saturday and I managed to get all 4! Surprised they didn’t sell out quicker. Fortunately, a fellow enthusiast and friend was able to get me an ECBP B522 and Larceny B522 over in Oregon. Just needs the C922 batches to finish the sets this year!

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have liked the Knob Creek offerings and have a new favorite among them. I really like the Single Barrel Select Rye at 115 proof. I've been able to find it in my area for 39.00.A great deal in my opinion.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my way to Saudi Arabia in mid 90s on deployment, we stopped at Shannon, Ireland. Everyone was having one last drink before hitting the big cat box. I had a shot of Bush Mills. Needless to say, I still drink this today on occasion. I was in the Air Force, working with the other services and the Brits. It was a great experience.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Yesterday was a great day. MY hold card at Julios`s in Westboro MA was picked for a Russells 13 year old Barrel proof and my wife grabbed me 2 Weller 107`s at local Wegmans. Earlier in the day my neighbor called me from our local BJ`s and said they had 6 Blantons- how many do you want? Took 2 at $57.00 bucks each.

I’ve never had the Russell`s but have had the Weller and love it.

I`m in line for a new job and when I get it the Russell`s is getting opened.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A good day indeed. Anxiously waiting for your review of the Russells 13.

107 and Blanton's never fail me.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Having issues posting pics? Not sure why.

Finished my second bottle of Eagle Rare while on vacation in Michigan last month.

More importantly, I have been looking for a bottle of John J Bowman for the past two years. Not particularly expensive or rare, but I have intentionally avoided the secondary market.

Thursday morning, I was downtown getting a building permit and decided to hit The Party Source on my way back to the office. When I waled in, I saw a familiar shaped bottle on the counter and their Cask Central (an area where they typically distribute their allocated bottles).

They have had Bowman Brothers and Issac Bowman in the past, but those are not considered allocated.

Holy crap, it is a bottle of John J Bowman. I ask the Clerk if that bottle is available? She responds with a hold on one second. She checked with another woman, who nodded yes.

However, it was their last bottle.

That is ok, I only want one.

Needless to say, I am a happy camper.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hit a few liquor stores over the weekend looking to score anything I typically cannot find local to me.

Came across a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle Special Reserve 12yr in a small town liquor store. From a little distance I thought the tag on it said $189.99. When I got closer I saw I was way off.

They were asking $1899.99 for the bottle. I'm guessing he will be sitting on that one for awhile.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To ME, there is NO whiskey that is worth that price!!! I am NOT a collector, but a drinker.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
To ME, there is NO whiskey that is worth that price!!! I am NOT a collector, but a drinker.

I'm with you on that one. There are a few different bottles I'll pay a little over retail for them but that markup is insanity. Crazy thing is eventually someone will walk in and pay that just to have it.

I've been buying McKenna Henry 10yr for $40 a bottle for the last two years in my area. Couple weeks ago I was in a store that I've never bought it in and they had it but had $79.99 a bottle on it.