SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to buy Henry McKenna 10 y/o bourbon at ANY price in my part of the Country. I would likely pay that $79.95 for it if I found it.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
It shows up around here from time to time. Expect to pay $60.00 here in Ohio.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was given a bottle of Oola Waitsworth bourbon by a customer. Local distillery, though I admit that I'm not all that knowledgeable about the nuances of bourbon (me likey single-malt scotch) so I dunno much about the brand. Seems to be well liked based on the internet reviews, but y'all know how that can go. Doesn't seem to be all that expensive at $35 for a 750ml online ($45 if I drive to their distillery and buy direct). Our shop manager loves the stuff, says it's dynamite chilled with a big ol' ball of ice. Who knows, maybe I will take a liking to bourbon and seek to expand my narrow-minded, limited horizons.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Been awhile since I found anything newsworthy but had a funny/lucky experience this weekend. Dropped into my local shop to grab a bottle of rye with which to make my Old Fashioneds. I'm not picky on brand. Noticed behind the counter, where they keep their good stuff, they had some Eagle Rare on the shelf. So I asked for a bottle and the clerk asked if I wanted their store pick. I said absolutely, I'll take two. Well she rummaged around and couldn't find any more so I just bought one standard ER. I had an open-but-full bottle at home already but I buy it if I find it reasonable.

Well we went to a party that night and I took the open-but-full bottle and passed it around. About 3/4 of the bottle was consumed so I donated the rest to the host and decided to go back to the shop the next day and get one more bottle. When I go in, I see that everything on the shelf now is the single barrel store pick, so I snag two bottles. Yay, me.

Haven't tasted it yet but I'm excited to dig in.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Yellowjacket, I just traded a buddy of mine for an ER barrel pick. I havent opened it yet, but I'm sure its good.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
Hit a few liquor stores over the weekend looking to score anything I typically cannot find local to me.

Came across a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle Special Reserve 12yr in a small town liquor store. From a little distance I thought the tag on it said $189.99. When I got closer I saw I was way off.

They were asking $1899.99 for the bottle. I'm guessing he will be sitting on that one for awhile.

My stepdad got gifted a bottle of PVW by the project manager on a job he was on & finished early & under budget.
Doubt it'll get opened anytime soon.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Yellowjacket, I just traded a buddy of mine for an ER barrel pick. I havent opened it yet, but I'm sure its good.

nice, I plan on doing some blind tasting of it with some other BT bourbons. I'm thinking I'll start with simple ER vs ER single barrel. Then broaden out to include BT and Stagg Jr, all from BT mashbill #1.

Then maybe another time try to compare my favorites from mashbill #1 to Blantons and ETL.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Eagle Rare is a favorite for me. A store pick would make it even better.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lately I have been getting heartburn from Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace. Anyone else experiencing this? I have been sipping on Russell's 10 year and Old Forrester bottled in bond and their rye without issues.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Lately I have been getting heartburn from Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace. Anyone else experiencing this? I have been sipping on Russell's 10 year and Old Forrester bottled in bond and their rye without issues.

I get that from time to time on some of the higher proofs (confirmed ulcer) but not those two particular bottles. Four Roses Single Barrel (my current fav) never does that.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I stopped drinking for a while.
Way too many parties, weddings and other miscellaneous fiestas the past month or so. Going to dry my liver out for a bit.

That being said, I apparently quit drinking, not buying... I picked up a bottle of Basil Hayden's Toast and a bottle of Rye. One of my friends is raving about the Subtle Smoke, and might have to grab one of those too.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My Son moved to San Francisco a couple of months ago.

Not everything is more expensive in CA.

He called me today, to let me know Costco has Buffalo Trace for $20.00 per bottle.

I live 1.5 hours from the Distillery and cannot buy it for that, in KY or Ohio.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
My Son moved to San Francisco a couple of months ago.

Not everything is more expensive in CA.

He called me today, to let me know Costco has Buffalo Trace for $20.00 per bottle.

I live 1.5 hours from the Distillery and cannot buy it for that, in KY or Ohio.

Costco in the Bay Area has a limited selection that varies by store but the prices are almost always as low as can be found. Booze is just about the only thing CA has yet to ruin.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
So, I really need to figure out the whole picture thing, might need a new account to host them. August was starting to be pretty dry in Idaho, but it's been a pleasant fire hydrant trying to take it all in.

It seems like feast or famine here, but was super lucky and at the right place at the right time to snag a State of Idaho single barrel pick of Weller Full Proof and Antique 107, regular bottle of Weller 12 & Special Reserve.

Wednesday I hit on a unicorn, Old Fitzgerald 17 Eek

Can't wait to see what the rest of the month holds.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Finally scored one of those elusive Eagle Rare bottles. It wasn't cheap. Hoping to enjoy it soon. I got the last one on the shelf.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
tlbailey1-I hope the end of the month has been as good as the beginning for you.

konta88-Eagle Rare is a long time favorite of mine. It is a reasonably priced (when you can find it) 10 year old, with more mature flavors (for me), than many other BT offerings I have tried.

Here is a bottle I finished while in MI this Summer.

A family picture from December, when I finally scored a 375 ml.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
To ME, there is NO whiskey that is worth that price!!! I am NOT a collector, but a drinker.

I'm with you on that one. There are a few different bottles I'll pay a little over retail for them but that markup is insanity. Crazy thing is eventually someone will walk in and pay that just to have it.

I've been buying McKenna Henry 10yr for $40 a bottle for the last two years in my area. Couple weeks ago I was in a store that I've never bought it in and they had it but had $79.99 a bottle on it.

I just scored a bottle of McKenna Bottled in Bond and paid $79.99. That’s more than I’ve ever paid for a bourbon, there are so many very good ones for less than $60, but…I had the McKenna before and really liked it. I’ll nurse the bottle and enjoy it for several months.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats and enjoy!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Snagged a September 2022 bottling of Kentucky Spirit today and grabbed a store pick ECBP Single Barrel last week. 130 proof. It's a great.