SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Is the 1910 malty? Canadian whiskey skeers me. I havent seen any decent reviews on how it stacks up

I get why. As I'm sure you know, in the US rye whisky must be 51% rye. In Canada, as I understand it, it technically doesn't have to have any rye in it, and can still be called rye whisky. I think a little research on the mashbill is in order before you buy, but there are some like Alberta Premium I'd buy if I could.

From Pendletons web site "Crafted from 100% rye, distilled and aged in Canada"

Posts: 5290 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed 2 fingers of Loch & K(e)y Society (Julio's Liquor's) pick of Blanton's. Super tasty - bunker needs another bottle! Big Grin

No Whiskey Wednesday romp since they were tasting Dutch gin - understand the room was fairly empty . . . . . . Razz

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Found a Blantons original SB and a Stagg Jr today, never had them. I usually drink neat or with a bit of water. What do y'all recommend?

Posts: 5290 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Found a Blantons original SB and a Stagg Jr today, never had them. I usually drink neat or with a bit of water. What do y'all recommend?

Blanton's neat. StaggJr needs more air than water, IMHO. Open the bottle and let it sit for at least a week before trying it. Big Grin

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
quote:

Blanton's neat. StaggJr needs more air than water, IMHO. Open the bottle and let it sit for at least a week before trying it. Big Grin

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

The Stagg Jr is garbage? Only sipped on some of that 1910 again, do like

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:

Noooo, the StaggJr (with a proof somewhere north of 130) is mighty fine! But it's really hot when first opened and greatly benefits from some air before drinking. Wink

'15 WLW (William Larue Weller from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection) @ 141.5pf is the same way when first opened. But let it sit for a while (or pour off an ounce or two for posterity) and it tastes like liquid heaven without the fire! Big Grin

However, some folk think I'm a wimp, too. I'm not weak, just old . . . . . . . Razz

JMHO,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Noooo, the StaggJr (with a proof somewhere north of 130) is mighty fine! But it's really hot when first opened and greatly benefits from some air before drinking. Wink

'15 WLW (William Larue Weller from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection) @ 141.5pf is the same way when first opened. But let it sit for a while (or pour off an ounce or two for posterity) and it tastes like liquid heaven without the fire! Big Grin

However, some folk think I'm a wimp, too. I'm not weak, just old . . . . . . . Razz

JMHO,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

just use a wine aerator Smile or shake the bottle a few times and open the top repeatedly.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I love those BTAC barrel-strength offerings so much. Handy, Stagg, and WLW by themselves almost scratch my whiskey itch. Bold, delicious, and barrel strength.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I love those BTAC barrel-strength offerings so much. Handy, Stagg, and WLW by themselves almost scratch my whiskey itch. Bold, delicious, and barrel strength.

Moi aussi! Next BTAC bottle up to open is my last of the "tanked" Sazerac 18 - just can't quite muster up the strength to crack that cork, yet . . . . . Wink

YMMV,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Gents, has anyone tried either the Virgil Kaine Ashcat bourbon or ECBP small batch? Are either of them worth the 60$ and 50$, respectively? Thanks!

Posts: 2390 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof quite a bit. I think its the best Heaven Hill has to offer.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
Gents, has anyone tried either the Virgil Kaine Ashcat bourbon or ECBP small batch? Are either of them worth the 60$ and 50$, respectively? Thanks!

Never heard of Virgil Kaine. Upon looking it's a creation of two chefs who have concocted a marketing plan and source their whiskey from who knows where. Maybe it's good. Maybe it's $20 whiskey you get the privilege of paying $60. I'd pass without tasting first.

The Elijah Barrel Proof is probably the best thing going in bourbon. At $50 I'd buy more than one.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof quite a bit. I think its the best Heaven Hill has to offer.

46and2 turned me onto ECBP, it's certainly one of the best values out there. From HH, I also like Parker's Heritage when I can find it/afford it, and Pikesville Rye, the 6 year.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
In Washington, DC on family business. Came down on Monday to beat the big snow storm last night and today. Now have some free time - what to do? VA ABC liquor stores are OPEN so let's go do some shopping! Big Grin

So far, picked up a John J. Bowman Single Barrel Virginia bourbon @ 100pf (purported to be 10yr), two (2) 1792FPs @ 125pf, and a Belle Meade 9yr Single Barrel Tennessee bourbon @ 105.1pf. Waiting for delayed deliveries to show up on Thirstday (delayed by snow) for more goodies. Hope the credit cards can hold out . . . . . Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Washington, DC on family business. Came down on Monday to beat the big snow storm last night and today. Now have some free time - what to do? VA ABC liquor stores are OPEN so let's go do some shopping! Big Grin

So far, picked up a John J. Bowman Single Barrel Virginia bourbon @ 100pf (purported to be 10yr), two (2) 1792FPs @ 125pf, and a Belle Meade 9yr Single Barrel Tennessee bourbon @ 105.1pf. Waiting for delayed deliveries to show up on Thirstday (delayed by snow) for more goodies. Hope the credit cards can hold out . . . . . Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

So, the John J Bowman ain't bad at all. It's a Sazarac product these days, the first 2 distillations occurring at Buffalo Trace, the last one occurring in Fredericksburg VA then aged in #3 char. What you won't read in the brochure is that prior to Sazarac, A Smith Bowman was owned by the Lee Family, as in Robert E Lee. I went to school with Rob Lee V, and his dad, Robert E Lee IV was the CEO and owner before selling to Sazarac in 2008.

If you like the John J., you'll want to think about trying to acquire the limited release Abraham Bowman. The product varies from release to release, but is acquiring quite a reputation. I have a high rye bourbon Abe that is simply outstanding and a wheater Abe that is nearly as good as the 2015 Lot B I just opened. A couple of releases of Abe have been infused, one with coffee, and the other with vanilla. I'm not a big fan of the concept, but people were falling all over themselves to get their hands on both of those.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
a high rye bourbon Abe ... and a wheater Abe

These two sound interesting. How rare are they?

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
a high rye bourbon Abe ... and a wheater Abe

These two sound interesting. How rare are they?

Each release is different, so each of these has come and gone. Think Parker's Heritage releases, and you'll get the idea. I don't know that you can get Abraham Bowman outside of Virginia. Each release sells out within hours at the distillery, and it's gone to lottery here in VA. Not impossible here, though. I won 3 bottles of the wheater, but only picked up two. I wish I had more of the high rye, it's great.

BTW, I will mention one last time the Four Roses Single Barrel Cask Strength OBSK Private Selection from Ace Spirits. Really, really outstanding bourbon. I'm going to buy more.

Link

Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
So, in the spirit of a gun forum, if you can only have one bourbon forever, or perhaps your top three, due to a worldwide shortage, what do you stock up on? It can be anything, so if you really love Pappy that much, go for it!

(Just trying tonget this back on page one) Smile

I am surprised how much I am liking Elijah Craig these days, it might make it into my bunker.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
So, in the spirit of a gun forum, if you can only have one bourbon forever, or perhaps your top three, due to a worldwide shortage, what do you stock up on? It can be anything, so if you really love Pappy that much, go for it!

(Just trying tonget this back on page one) Smile

I am surprised how much I am liking Elijah Craig these days, it might make it into my bunker.

I'll be realistic and not say that I'd stock up on the unobtainables. So of the ones that are fairly easy to get so I'd probably go with Elmer T, Makers Mark Cask Strength, and Stagg Jr.

I could sub in Eagle Rare as the everyday drink in place of Elmer T. And I could sub in Old Weller Antique 107 for the MMCS.

I like wheat...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10465 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bourbon neophyte here, but I've been enjoying Russell Reserve, so if I had to pick one....

And thanks, among my list of new stuff to try: barrel proofs. And since I liked Elijah Craig, the ECBP on my short list now.

Posts: 198 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post