SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Well, Rittenhouse isn't amazing either, but I do like it, and an even older and even higher proof expression has promise. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look for Hochstadter's Vatted Straight Rye. I was part of a group that tasted it blind against Pikesville and Hochstadter's won 8-2.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Look for Hochstadter's Vatted Straight Rye. I was part of a group that tasted it blind against Pikesville and Hochstadter's won 8-2.

i see its sourced and the bottle reads like Lock Stock. I'll keep an eye out.

Off topic, why did Lock Stock n barrel taste like rubber? am I the only one who gets that flavor?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Found some Smooth Ambler Old Scout - should I get the 7 yr or just spring for the extra cash and buy the 10??? Inquiring minds want to know. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I've never tried Old Scout, but the 7 seems to get good reviews. How much more do they want for the 10?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ it's sourced from Indiana, and neither distilled nor aged in WV where the company is, if that matters to ya. So, it's someone else's Bourbon/etc with a fancy label. Maybe it's still good, mind you, but such situations often leave a bad taste in my mouth - so to speak.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I've never tried Old Scout, but the 7 seems to get good reviews. How much more do they want for the 10?

$40 for the 7yr, $52 for the 10yr. Roll Eyes

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I mean, I'll pay $50 for Willett's sourced 4yo 110p Rye all day long, and it's even mystery whiskey of unknown origin (my biggest whiskey peeve), because it's outfuckingstanding.

So there are exceptions.

And the Templeton/Bulleit/etc Ryes from the same Indiana folks are good, but I'm skeptical about some suddenly "new" 7-10yo Bourbon. It didn't just magically appear, and if it's that damn good why didn't someone else release it before these guys sourced it? And is it truly premium whiskey priced fairly, or decent average whiskey with a bullshit story and clever marketing?

Is it, that good? Actually outstanding?

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Scroll a few back 46n2. Ive got 2 bottles of the 10 yr. Old scout and now the rye cause its the first time ive seen it. One a liquor store barrel select. It is good. A grrat balace and berto likes it too. Berto also mentions old scout are the good guys. No fake stories. They are a newish(2008) W.V. distillery that sourced thier booze and are waiting for thier barrels to mature on thier distilled stuff.

http://www.breakingbourbon.com...ld-scout-7-year.html

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I mean, I'll pay $50 for Willett's sourced 4yo 110p Rye all day long, and it's even mystery whiskey of unknown origin (my biggest whiskey peeve), because it's outfuckingstanding.

So there are exceptions.

And the Templeton/Bulleit/etc Ryes from the same Indiana folks are good, but I'm skeptical about some suddenly "new" 7-10yo Bourbon. It didn't just magically appear, and if it's that damn good why didn't someone else release it before these guys sourced it? And is it truly premium whiskey priced fairly, or decent average whiskey with a bullshit story and clever marketing?

Is it, that good? Actually outstanding?

Smooth Ambler isn't spinning bullshit stories like Templeton and Bulleit. They're upfront about what's their own and what's sourced. They're doing the same thing Drew is doing at Willett just in West Virginia and without the Kentucky family history.

Many of the single barrel ryes released by Smooth Ambler were better than rye of the same age and provenance released by Willett. The Smooth Ambler was $55 while the Willett was $90. Same Indiana juice, same age, different label. The single barrel bourbons are just as good. The standard 7yr and 10yr releases are legit good and worth the money. The guys at Smooth Ambler pick good barrels and were sourcing before the market got nuts.

If you're interested in a sample trade hit my email.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
While deciding which SAOS to buy, I got the opportunity to buy a bottle of 2016 Yamazaki Sherry Cask today (purported to be BETTER than the 2013 Yamazaki Sherry Cask that was named 2015 World Whiskey of the Year by Jim Murrays' Whiskey Bible!). Didn't blink an eye and dropped down the credit card(s). Big Grin

Anybody want/need a Yamazaki 12 (already opened the Yamazaki 18)????? Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
picked up Jefferson's ocean age cask strength and gifted horse.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My friend made a cocktail that I enjoyed the other day, a variation of an Arnold Palmer...

Rocks glass
2 small or 1 regular ice cubes made of iced tea
2 small or 1 regular ice cubes made of lemonade
A dash of the Black Cherry Beam, maybe 0.25oz
1.5oz of Knob Creek Single Barrel
Swirl around and let it sit a minute

I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. I had four, and I rarely have 4+/night.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Did you consider dash of black cherry bitters instead? Im gonna try that recipe.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
My friend made a cocktail that I enjoyed the other day, a variation of an Arnold Palmer...

Rocks glass

I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. I had four, and I rarely have 4+/night.

That would be a John Daly instead of an Arnold Palmer

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eamonn Wright
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
quote:

Rocks glass

That would be a John Daly instead of an Arnold Palmer

Add a Marlboro & a Natty Light chaser, and you've got a John Daly.

"The government is best which governs least."- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6562 | Location: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: December 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Bulleit has a barrel strength expression coming out, with batches ranging from 118-125p.

source article (Maxim, maybe nsfw)

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I dont prefer bulleit but ill try the BP. It really does add the flavor back.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the 10yr enough to keep it around. (Most any high-rye expression, really.)

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Bought a bottle of Four Roses OESV Cask Strength Single Barrel Select yesterday - but I had to go all the way to Connecticut to get it! $69.99 + tax (dang it). I think I may have to crack this one on Sunday just because ..... Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!