SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
oh ya, avoid yippe ki ya. Mine was fairly terrible tasting. I thought it was because I dont like manhattans and it is finished in sweet vermouth and syrah barrels but my friend who loves manhattans coudlnt drink it either.

Sorry Jaywend! I would have sent it to ya but I poured it out!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of the sweet stuff so I may have been mistaken about yippee kay ay, all their bottles look alike.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
It could have been rendezvoux rye, I remember a guy on a horse on the bottle. Just checked their website, did their lineup get smaller?

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Guy on horse is yippee kye ya.

Midwinters dram is white label with story that ends with "we made this shit up!" Lol

Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I had a friend over to assist me in finishing off a bunch of open bottles. Let's just say he did his part to help out, he he. Big Grin He just about drank me out of scotch, and did his best on my bourbon. All for the best, as I am wanting to have just one high quality bottle open at a time (we'll see how that works out). Theory being I would have a good bottle to choose from each night of quality bourbon, one good scotch open, a nice cognac, a great gin, and a high end aged (not too sweet) rum.

So here is where it stands so far:
Scotch: Lagavulin and the last of the Balvenie
Cognac: Camus VSOP
Rum: Diplomatico Reserva Exclusivo
Gin: Cutler's.
Bourbon: Elijah Craig and Blanton's

I can highly recommend the Diplomatico for a rum, and the Cutler's gin. Prairie makes a great gin too. Just get beyond Beefeater and Bombay Saphire.

I'm still undecided about the Camus cognac. It is amazing, no doubt. But it is very different than usual Brandy. I think I love it. But may have to be in the right mood. Neither it nor the rum are too sweet.

Presented just in case some of you bourbon snobs can't find any BTAC and decide to try something different. Cool

By the way, if anyone has recommendations between High West rye or rendesvous, 1792 SB, Old Granddad BIB, Rittenhouse BIB, Four Roses SB, Angel's Envy, EH Taylor SmB, as these are available at decent price in my area currently.
Thanks

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ha! Rekstrom! Lol. I drink cheap vodka neat in its place or go with an old fashion.

I have been dippong my toe in anejo tequila. Really like Riazul neat, its like the blantons of tequila at 50 bucks and a slightly creamy taste.

On the rum i found out thier aging techniques are sinful, 1 drop = 23 year. I also found out they add sugar to the end product. If you have a hydrometer you can test it vs whats on the bottle. I have a bottle of over proof rum that reads 130 proof. I tried it, no where close, its actually 110. There is a rum website that found out who adds flacor and sugar to thier end product if you want to remain pure. If ur just enjoying, enjoy away!

Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
True some rum producers add sugar or mollasses, but like bourbon you have good and bad. I wonderbif the fact that rum is produced in a variety of countries means less strict adherence to standards than, say, bourbon or scotch.

I can say the Diplomatico is a revelation. Amazing.

I have tried a Centenario Reposado tequila, and found I didn't really like agave I guess. But i may circle back again.

What I need is a good bourbon to stock that meets the "good but not expensive" criteria. Something not KC or WT, but also not Bourbensia Unobtaium. Thus the querry on High West vs the others.

I still prefer a good bourbon.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
True some rum producers add sugar or mollasses, but like bourbon you have good and bad. I wonderbif the fact that rum is produced in a variety of countries means less strict adherence to standards than, say, bourbon or scotch.

I can say the Diplomatico is a revelation. Amazing.

I have tried a Centenario Reposado tequila, and found I didn't really like agave I guess. But i may circle back again.

What I need is a good bourbon to stock that meets the "good but not expensive" criteria. Something not KC or WT, but also not Bourbensia Unobtaium. Thus the querry on High West vs the others.

Rum has no official guidelines like bourbon, I also have bad news for your diplomatico, added sugar! For visualization 4 grams of sugar is 1 tea spoon. a couple have 41 grams of sugar Eek imagine dropping that into a bottle of good bourbon!

quote:
Note: the following are rum sugar tests performed by ALKO, the Swedes and Johnny Drejer, as so noted. Compiling ALL tests into a single source will benefit all those trapped in the world of Rogue Rum. Caveat: I do not guarantee the accuracy of any test, nor my typing skills. The tests by ALKO and the Swedes can be considered very precise; those by Johnny Drejer are also quite accurate. Also included are hydro-based tests performed by Moi, Cyril, the Pirate, dawsonh, mamajuana and soon from rum lovers everywhere, as submitted for "The Great Sugar Test". These latter are of course subject to error, so please point out any aberations which the testers will gladly repeat...

Special Note: the ALKO tests show two numbers, eg 1/3. The first is sugar, the second are "extractives" other than sugar. All other listings show sugar as a single value or as a range, eg "0" or "0-5". All numbers, eg "5" reference grams of sugar solids.

Diplomatico 2000: 15 cyril 15
Diplomatico 8 yr: 7 Swedes 7
Diplomatico Ambassador: 24 thefatrumpirate 24
Diplomatico Ambassador: 26 Drejer 26
Diplomatico Blanco Reserve: 8 Drejer 8
Diplomatico Exclusiva: 41/0 ALKO 41
Diplomatico Exclusiva: 44 Swedes 44
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva: 30 cyril 30
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva: 41 Drejer 41
Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva: 41 Swedes 41
Diplomatico Reserva: 9 Drejer 9
Diplomatico Reserva: 12 Drejer 12
Diplomático Reserva: 12/13 (new) ALKO 12
Diplomatico Reserva: 7/0 Swedes 7
Diplomatico Reserva: 7/0 (old) ALKO 7
Diplomatico Reserva: 9 cyril 9
Diplomatico Single Vintage 1997: 19 Drejer 19
Diplomatico Single Vintage 2000: 24 Drejer 24
Diplomatico Single Vintage 2001: 20 thefatrumpirate 20
Diplomatico Single Vintage 2001: 24 Drejer 24
Diplomatico Single Vintage 2001: 25/24 ALKO 25
Diplomatico Single Vintage: 21 Swedes 21

http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=1683

No Wonder I liked kirk and sweeneys 18 yr - Kirk & Sweeney 40% (vanilla bomb), 2/3 full: <4 dawsonh 4

suggah baby, suggah.

plenty of good bourbons at a low price, buffalo trace, 4 roses small batch, a ton actually. makers makers cask strangth. all in the 30 range

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Was Rock Hill Farms discontinued? It's not listed on buffalo trace website any longer?

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm bad about working at collecting the rare stuff to the exclusion of some very good bourbon that can be had anywhere. It's the thrill of the hunt, I guess. Tell us your budget and give us an idea of bourbons you've enjoyed and I'm certain we can make a few recommendations.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:

I'm bad about working at collecting the rare stuff to the exclusion of some very good bourbon that can be had anywhere. It's the thrill of the hunt, I guess. Tell us your budget and give us an idea of bourbons you've enjoyed and I'm certain we can make a few recommendations.

I bought buffalo trace today for old fashions but damn it was good neat and with an ice cube. For $22.99 I'll be keeping it around. Eagle Rare would be my next inexpensive must stock, followed by Elijah Craig. I mostly like barrel strength but those usually start at $50 and to me that's not inexpensive.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
quote:
quote:

I bought buffalo trace today for old fashions but damn it was good neat and with an ice cube. For $22.99 I'll be keeping it around. Eagle Rare would be my next inexpensive must stock, followed by Elijah Craig. I mostly like barrel strength but those usually start at $50 and to me that's not inexpensive.

speaking of barrel strength picked up a ECBP today.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the new, expensive hobby. A great hobby though. I have a cabinet full of Bourbons already ( most unopened ) that y'all have mentioned on here.

Just got back from a 4 day cruise to Cozumel, used my drink package to put a hurtin on the ships Buffalo Trace supply. I'm a fan

Bought some High West double rye $35 today and Weller special reserve $16.

Store owner talked up the Weller a lot, figured it's worth a try for the price. Couldn't find much about it here except some 12 yr talk.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Thanks for the new, expensive hobby. A great hobby though. I have a cabinet full of Bourbons already ( most unopened ) that y'all have mentioned on here.

Just got back from a 4 day cruise to Cozumel, used my drink package to put a hurtin on the ships Buffalo Trace supply. I'm a fan

Bought some High West double rye $35 today and Weller special reserve $16.

Store owner talked up the Weller a lot, figured it's worth a try for the price. Couldn't find much about it here except some 12 yr talk.

its not bad, the antique is better but for 16 bucks not bad at all

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Yep, Any Weller is worth the price of admission, even if it is a wheater. I actually prefer the 107 to the 12, and maybe the poor man's Pappy mix better than either alone, but I'll never turn my nose at the Special Reserve.

I found a barrel selection of Buffalo Trace in TN, and they didn't mark it up over normal prices. Imagine a single barrel hand picked version of BT for $22. I wish I had purchased a case.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Well i scored a pappy 12 finally.

I also went off the deep end and decided to invest in my dads retirement gift. Hes always talked about Louis XIII but never had it. So i snatched up one of the allocated 1.695oz bottles. I dont know if they will do them every year but figured with his retirement 5 years out, $400 was prolly worth locking in and its a memorable gift. My price per ounce just shot thru the roof!

posted Hide Post
Gator, there was a presale for RHF a few days ago. Price was $125.

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I bought 3 RHF last year at $57 each, IIRC. VA ABC usually sells at retail, and that's the price they still have on the website.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought 3 RHF last year at $57 each, IIRC. VA ABC usually sells at retail, and that's the price they still have on the website.

I need to move to VA! How was the Lot B?

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Finishing my Old Rip 10 yo as we speak before opening the Lot B, but I've got a line on some outstanding bourbon.

Heads up fellas. Ace Spirits has something I've not run across before that by all accounts is excellent. It's a hand selected barrel of Four Roses Single Barrel Cask Strength OBSK. It's $80/bottle. A good friend whose opinion I trust ordered several bottles, raved about it, then ordered more. Mine's on the way. Shipping was $26 for 4 bottles, so not terrible.

Link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,