SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I tried the Costco Kirkland brand Premium Small Batch 7 year Bourbon and was quite impressed with it! I guess that would explain why there were only three bottles left on the shelf.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Release #11 (139.4 proof!) just came in yesterday - $49.99 OTD.  Only three (3) bottles showed up, tho' - now there's only one (1) left. Shelf clearing is bad karma, especially with "home-field advantage," yes? Big Grin

Might be time to do a side-by-side tasting with Release #10 over the Memorial Day holiday. A fitting toast to remember and honor friends and comrades, past and present. Cool

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
How much is the Knob Creek 15 year and where did it actually hit the shelf? Our liquor store never heard of it.

Posts: 13739 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
How much is the Knob Creek 15 year and where did it actually hit the shelf? Our liquor store never heard of it.

115 bucks. Missouri

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

$120ish. Hasn't hit a lot of places yet.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's being referred to as Knob Creek 2001, maybe that's why. $125.00 here, and available today in Virginia for online ordering. They'll ship it to your store. Better hurry, , we got 500 bottles total. Problem is, there are three batches. #1 is sweet and flavorful, #2 is very oakey, #3 is less oakey better balance. In VA I think you get what you get, can't specify. Here's the link:

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/p...B8F6-19AE42F6CE35%7D

I'm not a Knob Creek fan. I've tried both the small batch and single barrel. Odd, because I like Bookers quite a bit, so I'm going to pass at this price.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ETL spring release is out in KY. Picked up a bottle earlier this week

Posts: 253 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:

It's being referred to as Knob Creek 2001, maybe that's why. $125.00 here, and available today in Virginia for online ordering. They'll ship it to your store. Better hurry, , we got 500 bottles total. Problem is, there are three batches. #1 is sweet and flavorful, #2 is very oakey, #3 is less oakey better balance. In VA I think you get what you get, can't specify. Here's the link:

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/p...B8F6-19AE42F6CE35%7D

I'm not a Knob Creek fan. I've tried both the small batch and single barrel. Odd, because I like Bookers quite a bit, so I'm going to pass at this price.

I have batch #1. Tasting tonight

Edit.

Slightly sweet.

Nose is oaky with hints of cherries

Palate has some sweetness, very oaky

Finish oak.

Better than regular knob creek but compared to other 15 years not very polished.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like Knob Creek, and I bet it's good, but I won't pay those sort of per-bottle prices, not when I've had so many excellent $20-60 whiskeys, many of which remain available.

I'm not normally a cheap bastard, but much of what I like about Bourbon and Rye is the lack of pretentiousness and that includes high prices and pains in my ass re availability.

Bummer. I'd pay 70/80 without much thought, but north of $100 can suck it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I like Knob Creek, and I bet it's good, but I won't pay those sort of per-bottle prices, not when I've had so many excellent $20-60 whiskeys, many of which remain available.

I'm not normally a cheap bastard, but much of what I like about Bourbon and Rye is the lack of pretentiousness and that includes high prices and pains in my ass re availability.

Bummer. I'd pay 70/80 without much thought, but north of $100 can suck it.

Yup, agree. Still building my bar. Up to 55 bottles. Need to purge non barrel proof. Thats 2 strike outs for me at 100+.... KC15 and ocean cask. Always a gamble.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Why does my 4roses single barrel not indicate the recipe? Anyway to decode?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Why does my 4roses single barrel not indicate the recipe? Anyway to decode?

All standard four roses single barrel are OBSV recipe.

Only there private barrel program barrel strength single barrel will show what the recipe is on the bottle.

Posts: 85 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I got a call from ABC today. The Michter's 10 Single Barrel I ordered came in, 3 bottles. They've gone to lottery on all this stuff here, but I ordered last year before they started this lottery process, so I get my order. Pricey at $119.00 ea., but the reviews are very good, and with the online lottery, it's going to be hard to get anything.

Whistlepig 15 and Abraham Bowman both went to lottery here today, so I signed up for both. I haven't had any luck with the lottery yet, but this is only the 5th and 6th entry since they started this year. Last years Bowman was a high rye, and it's one of the best on my bar. It's a wheater this time. Not much escapes Virginia, though. EH Taylor Barrel Proof should be next in the lottery. It's already in the warehouse.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I scored two bottles of Taylor Rye day before yesterday, in Albuquerque of all places.

They didn't have any Barrel Proof, though. Only the Single Barrel, in the Bourbons.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Taylor single barrel, small batch and rye are Always on the shelf. I know between single barrel small batch one is generally better thought of, but I don't remember which, so I usually pass. Of those three which would you recommend.

I picked up an interesting Four Roses barrel strength, store purchased barrel. It was an OESF which is high corn 75%, F is their herbal yeast strain. The age statement is 10 years. The F strain is only listed as being used in their yellow label, which surprised me that they aged it that long and bottled barrel strength. They don't list the F being used in any barrel strength, small batch offerings.

Butterscotch is the dominant flavor on the palate. It's very tasty.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Taylor single barrel, small batch and rye are Always on the shelf. I know between single barrel small batch one is generally better thought of, but I don't remember which, so I usually pass. Of those three which would you recommend.

I picked up an interesting Four Roses barrel strength, store purchased barrel. It was an OESF which is high corn 75%, F is their herbal yeast strain. The age statement is 10 years. The F strain is only listed as being used in their yellow label, which surprised me that they aged it that long and bottled barrel strength. They don't list the F being used in any barrel strength, small batch offerings.

Butterscotch is the dominant flavor on the palate. It's very tasty.

Butterscotch is always what I taste first in the yellow label, so that makes sense. Think there is another bottle where you got that one?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10477 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Green's on Ponce (next to the murder Kroger)

They turnover stock quickly but you never know.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Green's on Ponce (next to the murder Kroger)

They turnover stock quickly but you never know.

ok, thanks. I'll check it out if traffic isn't bad this afternoon.

Posts: 10477 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've never had that combo (OESF) but I do like Butterscotch. That sounds good. ^

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Had 7 bottles of the OESF at Greens. I only bought one. 115 proof, $61.99.