SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 131
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Boo.

Hiss.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Thats the sound my dog makes.

If i spot an extra ill think of you while i drink it...

Dude u got multiple avatar syndrome or sompin?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8238 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
On their website, Ace Spirits has Noah's Mill and Willett Pot Still in stock right now, two that are not available in Virginia. Shipping brings in to a little over $125.00.

Must... resist....

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10358 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Noah's Mill is nothing special. I'd rather drink Bookers than Noah's Mill if we are comparing barrel strength bourbons that are readily available i.e. Always on the shelf.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4795 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
And got a bottle of Willett Pot Still for my birthday tonight. Such a lovely bottle.

I think that runs it up to 7 bottles in the cabinet right now. Most I've ever kept on hand at once. Willett, MMCS, Stagg Jr, Elmer T, Woodford, Knob Creek Single Barrel, and Four Roses Yellow.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Are they all open? I keep about 4-5 open with another 5 or so on the bench. When I find a good bottle I buy one sometimes extras.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4795 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Are they all open? I keep about 4-5 open with another 5 or so on the bench. When I find a good bottle I buy one sometimes extras.

All but the two new ones are open. 4 Roses and KCSB are almost gone. Woodford is readily available so I don't worry about it. I probably won't open the new ones for a few weeks. Really haven't been drinking much at home lately bc I'm so busy. 4 open bottles is fairly typical for me as well.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Jigray, i have two bottles of willett pot still, the 1.75 and a 750, passed on a 750 this week. you wanna trade let me know.

Errmmm open bottles? jeez less than 50 more than 35. Smile I have an addiction I admit it

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ That's how I ended up with my self imposed limit of 20 Bourbons and Ryes... because there are more than 20 good ones and just my open-bottles were averaging in the 30-40-50 bottles range, and space was becoming an issue.

#firstworldproblems

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
^ That's how I ended up with my self imposed limit of 20 Bourbons and Ryes... because there are more than 29 and just my open bottles were averaging in the 30-40-50 bottles range, and space was becoming an issue.

#firstworldproblems

I realize that I drink less that many of you, but curious how long your bottles last on the shelf? Even with 5 open at a time, I have bottles that last well over a year.

I suppose I drink the common ones most often (Woodford, Makers, Eagle Rare) and save the harder to find bottles for special occasions.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
By myself, my average consumption is less than 1/2 of 1 bottle per calendar month.

However, I share with friends and dates and such a fair amount, so my bar takes the hit of about 1 bottle's worth of whiskey per month on average.

Personally, I *try* to treat all 20 of my open bottles the same - and I try to not let price or rarity affect which one I choose to drink on a given day, that was the idea anyway, but market forces have been being a huge pain in the ass in the last couple of years so some things sit around longer now (Handy Rye, Pappy 15, limited editions of 4RSB BS, etc).

Also, when I first started really getting into it more seriously, I was drinking more on my own and sharing even more often, hosting casual tastings with friends, etc, so back when I had 30-40-50 open bottles my bar was taking a hit of about 2x what it does in the last few years.

Much of the newness has worn off for me, except when truly new expressions come along (and the recent Barrel Strength trends certainly help), but at this point I've already tasted most every notable Bourbon and Rye from the last few decades, so I'm in maintenance mode, so to speak, more concerned with keeping around the ones I like than much else.

My goal is to keep a running 2-5yr stock of the 20 I like best, based upon an average consumption of about 1 bottle of whiskey per calendar month. So, just one bottle deep of all 20 of my favorites is about 1.5yrs worth of drinking and sharing... and by adding 1+ bottles of backstock of each I get that to 3 to nearly 5yrs worth of stock with "only" 2-5 total cases of whiskey on hand. More or less...

Sometimes this is an enormous pain in the ass (VW, BTAC, etc).

That help?

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
my problem is i figured out i liked the 100+ proof stuff but have a large stock of 95 and below just taking up space. At some point I will copy 46n2's philosphy and just leave a few easy drinkers around. I am also buying triple when i ship from other states so I have 3.5 willet 2 yrs, 3 3yrs and the 4yr cask strength bourbon and rye come out this year so there's another 8 bottles....

i probably buy the most often here but drink the list. my other problem. I am limiting my drinking to 2 times a month until I hit my fitness goals. when i do drink those 2 times even with my bourbon buddy its half a bottle and we've skipped a few months and drank from his selection.

so.... party at my house??

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Four Roses single barrel barrel strength with an OESF recipe, which is a new one for me. I am almost always OB.

I am a sucker for 4 roses barrel strength.

YJ
I am pretty sure you work in town, Green's on Ponce had the 4 roses.

As far as stock rotation, during my Bourbon season Nov - May I go through 4-5 bottles rest of the year maybe 1-2 bottles.

Edit to add if my wife were to see this your father and brother drink most of my Bourbon. Oh and the four roses was on sale for $19.99

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GA Gator,

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Whistle pig 12 year: good stuff, worth the price in my opinion.

I concur Bookers is far superior to Noah's Mill.

Bottles usually last me a year or more, unless I share with friends.

Posts: 2438 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I've learned so much here, and it has made this hobby much more enjoyable.

I try to keep the number down, but there's always something I haven't had yet since I'm only 2 years into discovering I even like this stuff. Today, I ran across some Rittenhouse Rye BiB. Not plentiful in these parts, has a wonderful rep, and my experience with Rye is very limited, so I picked one up. Not prepared to render an opinion, but one of the least sweet whiskeys I've thus far tried.

I have about 2 dozen bottles opened, and another 3 dozen in reserve. At my rate, I figure a 3 year supply. I top fill with nitrogen/argon to keep them awy from oxidation. Might be unnecessary, but it's cheap easy insurance.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10358 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
rittenhouse is awesome for a rye. 7/10 id say. Makes a killer old fashion too.

I just grabbed black maple hill, OR edition(i know). Wow for a bourbon its pretty rye heavy.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Rittenhouse has a distinct, to me - smokey, taste in the Rye world.

It's good, and inexpensive, and IMO it shows what Heaven Hill is capable of in Ryes.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Rittenhouse has a distinct, to me - smokey, taste in the Rye world.

It's good, and inexpensive, and IMO it shows what Heaven Hill is capable of in Ryes.

Then wait 'til you try Pikesville - Rittenhouse @ 110 proof and 2 more years in the barrel! Delicious . . . . Big Grin

HTH,

"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2833 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Interesting (6yo, 110p, Rittenhouse)... I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Thanks.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
i didnt recall pikesville be amazing ill have to try it again.

Scored a 7 year old 100 proof old scout today. Found a new store that had a great selection, stuff i havent seen in awhile at decent prices. I was surprised.

I noticed "Kings County" caught fire apparently, it used to be dirt cheap and now its 46 bucks for the flask size?

*Still awaits the bourbon bust*

EDIT* old scout RYE

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Deqlyn,