SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to buy sazeracs caribou, im just afraid itll be malty. Also pendeltons rye is tempting but to pricey to risk.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the best resource on Canadian whiskey: http://www.canadianwhisky.org/

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
This is the best resource on Canadian whiskey: http://www.canadianwhisky.org/

Wow! Saw many I would like to try

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Old school last night, Wild Turkey 101

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I have been reading a good bit of this thread, is there a page that tells me what brands your are speaking of in initials only? I have figured some of them out.

The initials as abbreviations just evolved. Usually, an abbreviation pops up after someone brings up a particular bourbon, so if you back up in the thread a bit it becomes clear. Then there are some favorites that are discussed quite a bit. Hang around and you'll figure it out, or just ask. I am pretty new to bourbon and have learned a ton from the guys here.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Acronyms:

https://docs.google.com/docume...Ze5ap83c/mobilebasic

Well I'll be damned. I'm wrong. Again. Right about the learning stuff though.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
When considering Canadian whiskey, I always think of Crown Royal - their most famous blended whiskey - where the most important ingredient of which that anchors the entire blend is good old 15yo Bourbon, and I just end back up at Bourbon by itself.

Anyone who takes something as good as 15yo Bourbon and does that to it is no friend. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Wel shit. Missed on the raffle here for btac. Apparently they got so little like 6, they just put it on the shelf. Only 4 thomas handys, versus the 9-12 nornal... wtf!

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Deq. BTAC raffle here is closed for 3-4 more years.

I passed on the Parker's Raffle. Just couldn't justify $250.00.

ETA: Picked up the Elijah Craig 18 tonight. I know, I know, but I'm hoping it's better than the current one. If not, lesson learned, I'll not do it again. I won in only 3 of the 16 or so lotteries entered since they started last year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Picked up another Barrell Bourbon Batch #009 (13yr) for $70 OTD. Me likee, too! Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
Picked up another Barrell Bourbon Batch #009 (13yr) for $70 OTD. Me likee, too! Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

that stuff is littered everywhere. I didnt like #9 or whichever one i got that was 13 years.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the 13yr is getting close to the limit of older bourbon before it gets too woody/oaky for me, too (although the PVW20 is still mighty tasty!). But this Dickel-sourced (?!?) juice is a nice contemplative dram for a cold New England night by the fire . . . . . . . Big Grin

Working on a Glencairn of The Macallan Rare Cask before going out for a Legal Seafood dinner tonite w/SWMBO. Makes you almost forget why I left scotch for bourbon (kinda). Wink

GO PATS!

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
ya it tastes like dickel. I am done with that stuff.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Noticed something odd with the EC18. The rear label on my bottle from last year is barrel #4211 and says it was barreled on 11/18/97. The one I picked up last night says it is barrel #4312 and was bottled on 12/5/16. I wonder why the shift in language on the label, barreled vs. bottled? You're buying 18 year old bourbon, when it was barreled is far more interesting and vaulable from a marketing perspective. Interesting too that the barrels are numbered so close together, only 101 barrels apart, probably neighbors in the rickhouse.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Theres not much ec18 to go around so that doesnt surprise me. Theres around 200 bottles in a barrel after 2-4 years. By 18 years that number is half or less. That leaves 1000x100 = 10,000 bottles. Its as rare as btac and thats where btacs number lie and its just as rare.

Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Theres not much ec18 to go around so that doesnt surprise me. Theres around 200 bottles in a barrel after 2-4 years. By 18 years that number is half or less. That leaves 1000x100 = 10,000 bottles. Its as rare as btac and thats where btacs number lie and its just as rare.

Do you mean 100,000 bottles? Anyway, sure they are rare, but still odd to change the terminology. But it is still 18 years, regardless, right?

Too spendy for me in any case.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ha math is hard. Prolly more like 10 to 15 per barrel

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Trace reported they were getting as little as 1-2 gallons of Geo. T Stagg out of some barrels year before last, so Deq's number seems reasonable on the low end. When you think they start with 53 gallons and then sit on it for 18 years, 10 bottles at $130.00 a bottle sounds like it's a money loser. And, on top of that if it ain't all that good, you gotta ask, why bother? The angels are the only real winners in that arrangement.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Here is the diagram from buffalo trace thats at the distillery. I believe its

0 years, 4 years, 10 years, 18 years. They said many times in those 18 year barrels it might be 1-2 gallons