SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Everyone Hates Star Wars: The Acolyte and That's a Good Thing
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everyone Hates Star Wars: The Acolyte and That's a Good Thing Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell me what was different (in leadership, corporate oversight) such that it allowed the absolute MASTERPIECE of Andor to be created?

Andor was so good, that it actually made in the impossible scenario of a universe rebelling against the empire seem plausible. The acting was superb, the scenes were amazing. I consider it the best Star Wars product EVER made. And my opinion is that it has that lead by a comfortable margin.

And then it seems like a few months (probably years) later, this!?

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Can someone tell me what was different (in leadership, corporate oversight) such that it allowed the absolute MASTERPIECE of Andor to be created?

Andor was so good, that it actually made in the impossible scenario of a universe rebelling against the empire seem plausible. The acting was superb, the scenes were amazing. I consider it the best Star Wars product EVER made. And my opinion is that it has that lead by a comfortable margin.

Totally agree with you about Andor. It was superb.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4249 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
quote:

Totally agree with you about Andor. It was superb.

Andor: Two best monoluges by actors, both in one episode:

Kino's Monologue:

Shortly followed by Luthen's Monologue:

And this year Disney gave us:
The Power of Pee
The Power of Poop
The Power of Butt Pee!

Posts: 4052 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Andor was well under the radar compared to all the other projects Disney/Lucas were planning. Just about all the shows/movies outside of Andor were action-oriented, major doses of CGI & stunt work, and generally focused on a young audience; Andor on the other hand was more drama/dialogue focused thus the spotlight (and budget) wasn't very bright from higher up. Given the success of Rogue One, in large part due to the rewrites and reshoots by newly installed director Tony Gilroy, Disney went back to the well. Seeking a spy-thriller series, Disney pitched the idea to Gilroy, and he created a storyline for the years leading up to Rogue One.

I think a major part of why Andor was so successful and well reviewed, is Gilroy and his team are veterans of the industry. They had bonfides in how to write a script, develop a character and make movies/shows; Gilroy is responsible for the screenplay of The Bourne Identity-movies and Micheal Clayton, amongst others. Despite hiring him, Kathleen Kennedy couldn't intimidate or, over-influence the project, in the other series' the senior people responsible on Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Kenobi, etc, are all neophytes. Kennedy knew this and could step-in, influence and handhold everything going on. Even on Mandalorian, Jon Faverau had some leeway but, as success increased it became clear his 'partner' in the project Dave Filoni, was loyal to Kennedy and not to the project itself.

The original idea for Andor was for a 5-season series leading up to Rogue One. After s1 Gilroy saw the amount of work and drama that was involved and settled with Iger on just 2-seasons. I think it's safe to say, Gilroy got to scratch his Star Wars itch, he made his mark and recognized a good opportunity to pop-smoke and clear out without burning any industry bridges.

Posts: 15053 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
This is what we want from Star Wars.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34381 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 108990 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It’s been daily videos on YouTube. I don’t post them. Just too many of them. Today Disney had several of their series removed from audience scores.
https://youtu.be/jS9mPrbBRYs?si=rnJ5GGGsJu3RvrkD

This is the straw that broke Disney’s Camel back. It’s burning. Their stock price is way down. Rumors of Elon wanting to buy the Star Wars franchise now. Acolyte season 2 is canceled. Several other Star Wars projects the Acolyte star was going to be in, those are canceled too. The new Rey movie, shooting is postponed. Bob Eiger, CEO, has come out and said they will NOT be promoting any more agendas and instead will focus on solid content. Meanwhile the Acolyte star and director, are lashing out blaming this on all fans. Kennedy is trying to muscle Eiger and the board of directors. This one woke series, where they took it all so far, well it’s never going back. Disney is fucked. Every single one of the Star Wars series in recent years have been losers. Every single Marvel film, losers, costing them hundreds of millions. Aggregate them, in the billions.

This one series has people canceling their streaming service, canceling trips to their theme parks, their world is burning and we get to enjoy watching it burn Razz

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

This one series has people canceling their streaming service, canceling trips to their theme parks, their world is burning and we get to enjoy watching it burn

Razz

Saw an article this past week about attendance at Disney theme parks is WAY down for this time of year.

Posts: 34514 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Bob Eiger, CEO, has come out and said they will NOT be promoting any more agendas and instead will focus on solid content.

Didn't he say that a couple of years ago too?

Posts: 6561 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I believe the you tubes have been claiming all of that since the beginning of time without credible sources.

It works like this:
Disney will declare bankruptcy tomorrow. That’s right! You heard it here, first! Click ma’ stuff!

Posts: 11590 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It's what he mentions to Variety and some conference held by the New York Times earlier in the year. It was also the same event where Elon Musk told anyone trying to strongarm him on free speech to Go Fuck Themselves.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Meanwhile the Acolyte star and director, are lashing out blaming this on all fans.
You're supposed to make entertainment for THE FANS. You FAILED. Too F'in bad...your cash cow died, which is all you cared about - the $$$.

Posts: 9245 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 34514 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
That settles that.

Posts: 2055 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
But wait, I thought it had great ratings? I thought the fans loved it? I thought it was soooooo successful, and any talk otherwise was just jealous incel trolls? Why would they shitcan something successful?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17083 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was bad. Miscast and a mess. It finally got interesting at the end but too little too late.

Posts: 4321 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
It was bad. Miscast and a mess. It finally got interesting at the end but too little too late.

No offense, but I don't understand this behavior; you say the show is bad, miscast and a mess. Yet you watch it all the way through to the end? Confused

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17146 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Yet you watch it all the way through to the end?
Glutton for punishment. Big Grin

Posts: 9245 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The lead actress and the director keep making statements, blaming “toxic” fans, etc. Nah, your story writing, directing, and acting just suck. Lesbian Space Witches + making the Jedi “the bad guys”, what did you think was going to happen? Oh and pronouns. Just imagine Han Solo stating “my pronoun is him or they”. 5% of the population wants to be 100%. Yeah that was going to end well.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post