SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Everyone Hates Star Wars: The Acolyte and That's a Good Thing
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everyone Hates Star Wars: The Acolyte and That's a Good Thing Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
“Discount Ezra Miller” LMAO Razz

Critical Drinker never disappoints.

https://youtu.be/ng846hx8Z_s?si=kQUbQiYySkRr-SiW

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Wow, The Acoylyte is horrible but the reviews on Youtube are hilarious!

Yep, another reviewer who talks about Discount Ezra Miller!

Posts: 4052 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Star Wars was something I watched and liked when I was a kid, seeing it in the movie theater several times in 1977. Saw the next two, then never really thought about them again until my son was born and he went thru a Star Wars phase; the only reason I watched the three prequels was because my son's choices in movies dictated our visits to the theater. I don't remember anything from these films. Got DVDs of the older films for him. The last two films we saw as a family were Force Awakens (awful) and Rogue One. After that, thankfully no more; my son lost interest and I dropped the whole thing like a bad habit. I stored the DVDs in my storage unit to keep for my son in case he wants them for his child, but otherwise I never watch the stuff when it comes on TV. There are still many things from my youth I will listen to and watch, but not Star Wars.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17146 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was recently at Costco, in the cookie section Oreo's had a special Star Wars variety, good guys on one-side, bad guys on the other. The packaging had all the characters however, what was missing was...no new characters. The only characters shown were from the original trilogy Cool I'm not saying this some kind of low-level victory but, it is telling that a brand, licensed to use Star Wars name & imagery, is showing the 'old star wars' characters and none of the news one are showing up.

Posts: 15053 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It’s unwatchable and my earliest memory is watching Star Wars in the theatre. Been a fan literally my whole life. It actually hurts me that I hate it this much. It makes Revenge of the Sith look like Empire.

Posts: 2652 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
LMAO!

The Acolyte Isn’t Ruining Star Wars — You Are

That sounds like a winning strategy…blame the viewer for being too narrow minded and “hateful”. Roll Eyes

It’s official. Star Wars is dead and Disney killed that golden goose.

Posts: 34514 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bad casting (Hayden was a complete joke, whining like a bitch the entire 3 films)

That wasn't bad casting. Hayden has been a fine, if not good, actor in almost everything else he's been in. It was horrifically bad writing and directing.

Posts: 10213 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I am actually enjoying this guy's reviews for the humor:

Posts: 4052 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 108990 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Drinker back at it. LMAO. It’s a dumpster fire.

https://youtu.be/yofjGi6LOVc?si=qYwRrg0D-_NEhkKt

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
THEY ARE NOT LESBIANS!!!!! They are space witches.....who prefer the company of other ummm space witches......who use ummmm magic to conceive children.....who the "galaxy" persecutes......but they ARE NOT LESBIANS!!! Roll Eyes

Sigh here we are. I hope time travel is never invented because I shudder at bringing this news to my child self just after seeing STAR WARS.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7857 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I was holding out until I read where the miserable non-binary troll in charge said it’s now canon that R2-D2 is a lesbian. Just ensured that I’ll never watch this dumpster fire.

Posts: 13826 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I mean R2D2 is a robot so technically there is no disputing he is binary..........I'll show myself out. Big Grin

Posts: 7857 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The more they try and strike the Critical Drinker down, the stronger he becomes.

Posts: 4754 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
That sounds like a winning strategy…blame the viewer for being too narrow minded and “hateful”. Roll Eyes

Man, that's what they said at every turn when Disney was squeezing out the sequel trilogy.

Let's see this article.... Yep, it's all there. I'm not disappointed. Hit all the talking points just as squarely as Disney checked all the DEI checkboxes.

quote:
It also might be the most diverse Star Wars story yet — and while that’s definitely a boon for marginalized fans[...]

Why? Why is it a boon to "marginalized fans?" I keep hearing "because people want to see themselves represented on screen," and that's fine, but they don't want to see themselves represented poorly. I've heard several gay people speak up and say they'd rather see a film with no gay people than a film that has token gay characters that are only there to be gay and otherwise offer nothing to the story. What does it serve "marginalized fans" to have token and otherwise utterly meaningless and poor representation on screen, awkwardly shoe-horned into every last bit of media? I want to know.

quote:
To them, The Acolyte’s “woke” agenda is something to be feared. It’s ruining Star Wars; it’s poisoning pop culture itself. It needs to be stopped by any means necessary.

We realize how ridiculous that all sounds, right?

Nope, sounds about right, actually.

quote:

It’s not outright shocking to see something like The Acolyte marred by ___ist, _____istic, and even anti-_____ backlash.

/checks notes

Yep, it's right here in black and white. "Respond to every criticism, no matter how accurate and poignant by calling the person to made it an 'ist' or a 'phobe' or just hateful and acting in bad faith. Totally nullifies everything they say."

It's too dense, I'm going to have to just hit the high points

quote:

vocal minority
learn their lesson
diverse casting and more nuanced storytelling
misogynistic microaggressions
weaponized by its haters
nuance
toxicity
entitlement
male fans
coexist
non-white, non-male
vocal minority

See, nobody hates this stuff because it's written by non-white, non-male "creatives," it's that these "creatives" happen to write shit that celebrates everyone who is non-white, non-male and write in white males here and there only as the bad guys. It's consistent, it's transparent, and oh, by the way - it happens to go along exclusively with dogshit storytelling. Every. Fucking. Time. If these were works that were lauded for their storytelling and also just happened to omit white guys as characters who weren't slimeballs, I think the criticism would exclusively be "can you stop making white guys look like assholes?" But it isn't. They stories these films and shows tell suck, and they would still suck if you eliminated ALL the DEI nonsense. There's your litmus test. That quoted list above? It sure reads like they fucking hate white men. Just making an observation.

Take Kenobi, for instance, which I watched with my son last week. If you made Reva a white guy, and swapped out Luke for Leia, and made the female rebellion members that get highlighted white men, the show would still be dogshit precisely because it was very badly written, not because a black lady was the main bad guy who was secretly a misguided good guy or because there were "strong female characters." Those things are just the added garnish on top of a steaming plate of shit, and not the whole problem with the main dish. This show Acolyte? It follows the same recipe, and that's the problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
quote:
Bad casting (Hayden was a complete joke, whining like a bitch the entire 3 films)

That wasn't bad casting. Hayden has been a fine, if not good, actor in almost everything else he's been in. It was horrifically bad writing and directing.

Star Wars Theory on YouTube put out a video talking about this once. He surmised that although Lucas is not a great director, and not the best writer for everything after the first film, that maybe Hayden's performance was more intentional than we want to believe. The guy ends up turning into the ultimate betrayer and a more visible villain than the emperor in many ways, and it makes sense that he was a really awkward person who didn't interface well with the world at large and those around him. He lacked a father figure, and while Kenobi looked at him as a little brother, to Anakin, Kenobi was the father figure he never had, whose approval he never actually got. I think that's probably accurate and absolves Hayden Christiansen a bit because if that's the direction he got, then he pulled it off reasonably well. But even at that, it's badly written and badly directed Lucas schlock, so it doesn't absolve him any.

Posts: 17611 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
This one lost me at the campfire in space put out with a fire extinguisher.
Just fooking stupid.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
This one lost me at the campfire in space put out with a fire extinguisher.
Just fooking stupid.

Holy shit. Did that really happen?? A friend sent me a meme about it and I figured it was just a joke.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
quote:

Bad casting = selecting an actor/actress that just didn’t fit the role. It was bad casting. Add in the bad writing and directing and you had the trifecta of shit. He is ok in some stuff, he was horrific in those trilogies. If he was some great actor, well what is he doing today? Natalie Portman’s career blossomed, exploded, whatever. She is a sold actress. Hayden, not so much. Each to their own though.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Meh... I think we are x2 episodes in. We've enjoyed it and thought it was okay so far. But I'm far less of a critic than most and just unplug my brain and be entertained.

I'm probably the farthest from a Star Wars fanboy you'll get.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8923 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I mean R2D2 is a robot so technically there is no disputing he is binary..........I'll show myself out. Big Grin

Dude. DROID. He's a DROID. Roll Eyes

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17593 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post