Tools

Dune Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
[
Between overly-pervasive, overly-loud scores and actors' less-than-stellar enunciation, my wife and I always have subtitles turned on, these days.

I need to remember to start doing just that! Thanks!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I too, use subtitles a lot.

I did just realize that Paul is Frenchie (DeJardin) from Hostiles. I liked him in that role. I think he did a good job.

After watching both versions, I can see how the 1984 version was too compacted for the storyline. I'm happy to see that The Baron wasn't as grotesque in this version as the old version. The old version made me want to vomit every time saw him.

I'm just wondering now if it will be a two or thee movie story.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As far as actors / actresses in the respective versions, I find Rebecca Ferguson's Jessica underwhelming in this new film much preferring the earlier rendition by Francesca Annis.

Others are a big improvement in the new version such as Baron Harkonnen's Stellan Skarsgard and Beast Rabban's Dave Bautista.

Not a fan of Josh Brolin, Chen Chang, Stephen Henderson, or Charlotte Rampling in this new film. But that may be simply how the director wanted their characters portrayed.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Didn’t remember the particulars of the old series. The new movie was just ok until then end. It had to end right when things finally got interesting.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
As far as actors / actresses in the respective versions, I find Rebecca Ferguson's Jessica underwhelming...

I didn't find the Jessica character particularly compelling, but I sure did enjoy looking at her Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
As far as actors / actresses in the respective versions, I find Rebecca Ferguson's Jessica underwhelming...

I didn't find the Jessica character particularly compelling, but I sure did enjoy looking at her Big Grin

She was certainly easier on the eyes than the one in the Lynch movie. She definitely moved more smoothly

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm pleased to see rebecca ferguson; i really like her work.

I'm about half way into the movie and so far it’s kept my interest. The original movie seemed like a joke to me and couldn’t get much past the beginning.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Stuck at home this weekend. Decided to watch on HBO Max.

I lasted about 20 minutes. No idea what the heck is going on, and no interest to stick around to find out.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Started to watch it last night but it was late and the sound was too overwhelming for my wife as you have to keep the sound up to hear the dialog so I bailed after about 10 minutes.
Also initially hard to follow.
Will be back later.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Started to watch it last night but it was late and the sound was too overwhelming for my wife as you have to keep the sound up to hear the dialog ...

Despite the fact we nearly always have subtitles turned on, we still like to be able to hear the dialog. So, yeah: Poor sound mix, IMO.

In cases such as this we ride the volume controls on the remotes.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I saw it this morning/afternoon at the theatre. The entire audience for the movie consisted of my wife, my son and myself. I thought it was well done.

After the movie, I finally allowed myself to read reviews and such. Imdb trivia section of the movie has this gem
quote:
Charlotte Rampling originally wanted to play Lady Jessica in Alejandro Jodorowsky's failed Dune project, but declined the offer due to a scene that involved 2,000 extras defecating at once.

Say whuuuuuutttt?

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Started to watch it last night but it was late and the sound was too overwhelming for my wife as you have to keep the sound up to hear the dialog ...

Despite the fact we nearly always have subtitles turned on, we still like to be able to hear the dialog. So, yeah: Poor sound mix, IMO.

I guess I could of unplugged the subwoofer but I couldn't make it off the couch.
Overall I like loud movies and music not because of my hearing which is fine (except the Tinnitus but I digress) but I just like it BUT the wife HATES it and prefers "library mode sound" Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HBO Max had it last week, visually awesome story kinda drags in places

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
It just dawned on me, some of the parts of the book that I thought was a big deal aren't in this movie at all.

Jessica ending the 'tradition' of giving the squeezings from cleaning clothes to beggars.

The whole dinner with Princess Irulan and the other others.

I was also sorta turned off by Momoa. His Idaho didn't seem "right" to me, whereas Brolin's Halleck was spot on.

I did like they had the 'Atreides Sign Language' in this one.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Charlotte Rampling originally wanted to play Lady Jessica in Alejandro Jodorowsky's failed Dune project, but declined the offer due to a scene that involved 2,000 extras defecating at once.

Say whuuuuuutttt?

Here you go... This has some more explanation:

In the script [for Alejandro Jodorowsky's failed 1970s adaptation of Dune], there is a scene where, in order to insult Duke Leto, David Carradine's character Rabban the Beast gets his army to pull down their pants in front of the palace and shit. So there’s going to be a scene of 2,000 extras defecating at once. So here’s Charlotte Rampling, she agrees to meet with Jodorowsky, she gets the script, she reads the script, and she says, “I can’t be in a movie where there’s 2,000 extras defecating on screen! I need to be in a movie that people are actually going to see! Who the hell is going to see this movie?”

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Much of that is streaming. Audio is compressed. I own Denis discs on 4k and especially BR2049 is reference material.

This will be a lot better on 4k disc than the streaming version. Streaming I was up 10db and even then the limited range, and compression is easily discernible. Disc version will clean a lot of that up. I had to rewind, a few times, turn on captions, watch a scene, than turn off captions, on/off throughout the film. I hate streaming anything. It’s hot garbage. The disc should rattle the house.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107259 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Woke when it suits them. Or rather, when it doesn't impact their bottom line. Hypocrites all.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
And they added the traitorous chinese doctor instead. And the bad guy. But bad guy is a prominent character (or will be I assume). the chinese doc, not so much.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Yueh is more important as a role than Kynes. You could say Kynes died before the movie started and the same events would be set in motion.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post