Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dune Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yeah...gonna have to see this one at a matinee next week.

LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!!!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11042 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Watching this in a few on HBO MAX. Will probably have to split this up over a couple of days. We'll see if the wife and kid like it. The wife is Brazilian and never heard of the show.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
So far, so good. I'm liking it better than the original. It's definitely a thinking man's movie. My son and my wife are trying hard to follow the movie. About 20 minutes into the movie, my wife asked "What's the plot of this movie?"

They're used to films that stimulate the senses, not the brain. I may finish this one myself later. I'm enjoying it so far.

Tony.

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Finished it. It’s definitely just the first act. The sequel is in pre-production so it’s going to be a few years before we see the next act.

The first half of the film I was severely underwhelmed. It felt somewhere in between a really good series such as GOT or Westworld, and a Denisfilm. Dancing in the balance. My expectations were high. Denis has been on a roll. Sicario put him down on the map. I thought Arrival was an excellent film. Sci-fi, Aliens, but a thinking person’s film. His version of Dune finally started moving the final third of the film. Denis is just warming up. By the end I was satisfied. I was a huge fan of Lynch’s version having watched it dozens of times since I was a youngster. So I’m a bit tainted as it’s a remake. But I liked it. The Freman only get covered in the final minutes so set your expectations. This isn’t a repackaged version of Lynch’s cult classic. This will probably end up being a trilogy. And that was the complaint with Lynch’s version. It was all compacted into a single film so lots of things were skipped. Denis has said this is his life’s work, something he wanted to make since the beginning so I’m satisfied and wanting to watch the next installment already. Sadly, it’s going to be a while.

On HBO Max, the audio is severely compressed. I was up 10db just to get something out of it as it is with all streaming bullshit. Definitely renting the 4k blu ray once it releases in a few months. HBO Max version did not have the IMAX scenes. Those will be saved for the theater as well as the 4k disc. Like a Nolan film, the IMAX scenes will be full screen. And like BR2049, once the 4k disc version is released it will likely be reference audio quality.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12556 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
There is no way anyone can make the first section of Dune interesting, thought provoking, or entertaining. It’s required to get on with the story, but 90% of people that couldn’t finish the novel can’t finish that section.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
There is no way anyone can make the first section of Dune interesting, thought provoking, or entertaining. It’s required to get on with the story, but 90% of people that couldn’t finish the novel can’t finish that section.

Amen to this. I tried the book six times before finally finishing it in 2019. Started trying when I was 18 in 1987.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:

I agree. But with our current population's attention span of a gnat, I hope the more thought provoking nature of it (versus a bunch of explosions and people in skin tight suits on steroids) doesn't prevent the sequels.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12556 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Finished it. Liked it. Visually, it's perfect IMHO. I questioned why they needed to deviate from the book with some of the dialog (most notably when Paul is undergoing the gom jabbar) but not so much it spoiled the movie.

Now the long wait for Part Deux. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16172 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if they're going to put Feyd-Rautha in the 2nd movie or not. It does put a dent in the Bene Gesserit breeding program, but seeing Paul having to face off against Raban would be interesting with this casting.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Finished it. Liked it. Visually, it's perfect IMHO. I questioned why they needed to deviate from the book with some of the dialog (most notably when Paul is undergoing the gom jabbar) but not so much it spoiled the movie.

Now the long wait for Part Deux. LOL
I thought it was a fun flick. Kinda like a cross between Star Wars and Lawrence of Arabia. Smile Also in for Part Deux.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15470 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Noon matinee on IMAX screen today.
Different than how I imagined it, but well done. The adaptation is largely faithful to the novel. The score/music was meh.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
SaW it on HBO Max. Interesting and pretty well done. Prefer the 1980s version because we all know how it ends and I might not be here on this earthly plane when the next instalment lands. So whats the point in this rehash? Pretty much a one for one remake of the first one with the voice overs and scenes. Slightly different vibe on personalities but not enough to make this one vastly superior. I'm going to give this version a Mehhh! on the sfcusaret scale of sci-fi entertainment.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Wife and I just finished it on HBO Max. We liked it enough we'd watch it again someday. Don't recall finding the '84 version being all that great.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for a Bill the Galactic Hero movie!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched the full 1980's movie since the 80's. I watched the old one tonight and I definitely like the new one better. We did finish the new one tonight as well but my wife and kid still have no idea what's going on.

The old one looks super cheesy compared to this new one. I don't remember the old one being as cheesy as it was, but man, had it been a while.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter. I have not read the book, so I can't make that comparison.

Tony.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I haven't watched the full 1980's movie since the 80's. I watched the old one tonight and I definitely like the new one better. We did finish the new one tonight as well but my wife and kid still have no idea what's going on.

The old one looks super cheesy compared to this new one. I don't remember the old one being as cheesy as it was, but man, had it been a while.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter. I have not read the book, so I can't make that comparison.

Tony.

the first movie has always been super cheesy,

it was on HBO last night but I was too tired to watch it ,

gonna see if I can pull it up (I can't remember if I have it on DVD, ,will look) so the wife can watch it tonight,

I'm off sunday, so we will either go see Dune o the big screen or 007, then see the other later on ,

I want to see both on the big screen,

and glad to hear some good reviews,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amen to this. I tried the book six times before finally finishing it in 2019. Started trying when I was 18 in 1987.

Parallel experiences. As a Sci-Fi fan I felt I should read Dune, probably about 1984 with that version. Tried. Failed. Many, many times. I think I finally forced myself to get through it to the end 20-25 years later.

Posts: 3530 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, now for my thoughts on the movie. I saw it with my brother, whom I saw the aforementioned 1984 version with. IMAX. That must be an acronym for LOUD. Seriously. I have some genetic hearing loss and it really made it hard to enjoy the movie as much.

I DID enjoy it. Production and cast spot-on. Though Paul needs to eat some sammiches. I love Duncan Idaho's early joke about this. But, it dragged. I knew it would, and it did. Not a knock for a FAN, but the masses are going to bitch and complain.

No Feyd really surprised me. In the 1984 version Rabban got the short stick when it comes to screen time and dialogue. But Feyd dropped entirely...?!? My guess and hope is that they make the sequal and he plays a MAJOR role.

We shall see.

Posts: 3530 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If I understood Batty67's comment about the music correctly, then I too agree that some of the dialog, particularly from Jessica, was all but drowned out.

All that said I still enjoyed it and wish for part 2 ASAP. And yes I enjoyed earlier versions as well and have their DVDs.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
If I understood Batty67's comment about the music correctly, then I too agree that some of the dialog, particularly from Jessica, was all but drowned out.

Between overly-pervasive, overly-loud scores and actors' less-than-stellar enunciation, my wife and I always have subtitles turned on, these days.

And that's with the center-channel speaker, whence most dialog emanates, cranked-up to +6dB.

We can watch an old film, particularly an old B&W film, w/o the need for subtitles.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post