SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Classic songs from the 60's and 70's
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic songs from the 60's and 70's Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This just gets in under the wire of the prescribed time frame; the album was released in October of 1979.

Posts: 13163 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
For some reason this one popped into my head yesterday:

Thanks, TMats. I always liked Dave's treatment of All Along the Watchtower

Have we done Traffic yet? Post Dave Mason.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3432 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Dang it! I heard this song the other day and now can't get it out of my head..thought I'd share it Big Grin

...and another from the 60's that was a good one from Bobby Gentry ya'll ready

And what the heck did they throw of that Tallachatchie bridge?

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Blackmore and I have been kinda playing off each other’s posts throughout this thread. He last posted “Glad” from John Barleycorn.

This is a traditional English/Scottish poem and folksong that probably goes back to the 16th century. There are many versions, but the one most often carried forward is from Robert Burns, published in 1782.

“The character of John Barleycorn in the song is a personification of the important cereal crop, barley and of the alcoholic beverages made from it, beer and whisky. In the song, John Barleycorn is represented as suffering indignities, attacks and death that correspond to the various stages of barley cultivation, such as reaping and malting.”
- Wiki

This is the title track from Traffic’s 1970 album.

It’s not easy to out sing Roy Orbison, but I think she does.

Phil Lesh played bass when the Grateful Dead still roamed the earth. He plays bass like it’s a lead instrument. He’s still active (albeit dealing with health issues) particularly playing with bandmates from the Dead like Bob Weir. I think this is their best album.

Posts: 13163 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Nine pages and unless I missed it not one mention of a little band known as Eagles? Astonishing as they were one of the most influential bands from the mid 70's on. Still playing today nearly 50 years later and still getting as much play on the FM dial as anyone . Here's one with a little bonus of Jackson Browne appearing. Jackson Browne and Glen Frey co wrote this one.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
It occurred to me just recently that having read thru TMats thread with Creme that I didn't have any of Steve Winwoods classic Spencer Davis Group in my iPhone playlist. So I uploaded it and I'll share here as I didn't see any song here in the pages. It'll wake you up in the morning tune!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This great thread seriously needs a sticky!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Another one of my favorite bands from the 70's that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Marshall Tucker Band. Lead singer and guitarist Toy Caldwell is a interesting guy. Wounded Vietnam vet marine who received a purple heart. He had two brothers both killed exactly one month apart in automobile accidents in 1980. He plays guitar without using a pick only his thumb.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The Steve Miller Band was one of my favorites back in the day, and there are many songs I could’ve posted. This one is from their forth album, released in November of 1969. Boz Skaggs had departed the band the previous year and this was their second album without him.

Stephen Stills: 2nd lead guitar: Eric Clapton
Supporting vocals: Rita Coolidge, Priscilla Jones, Claudia Lanier, John Sebastian, Cass Elliot, David Crosby.

Interesting factoid: Priscilla Jones was Rita Coolidge’s sister. She was married to Booker T Jones at the time of this recording. She died in 2014.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to derail the topic with my comments about Toys tremendous guitar ablilities and his playing style that influenced me growing up but, I'll add this Marshall Tucker song that was one of my favorites included with this album. Definitely a foot stomper!

Regards, Will G.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27830 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
54 years later and I'm still wondering

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
65 & 64:

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
We've done Skynyrd, Tucker, Molly Hatchett, the Allmans and ZZ Top, but no Florida Guitar Army.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3432 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
David Crosby and Michael Clarke had been dismissed from the band and their spots were filled by Kevin Kelly (drums) and Gram Parsons. Parsons came to the band with the intention of dramatically turning the Byrds towards Country. He was pretty successful and this album is considered the first “Country Rock” album ever recorded. Parsons talked them into recording the album in Nashville and even got them on the Grand Ole Opry (a show that did not go well). Parsons pissed off Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman and they re-recorded three songs overdubbing Parsons’ vocals with McGuinn’s, although Gram remains the lead vocal on three others. He lasted only five months with the Byrds, and the album wasn’t terribly successful commercially, but it’s importance has grown to almost legendary status. Sweetheart of the Rodeo (cover illustrations by Jo Mora, copyright 1933)

Pedal steel on this track was Lloyd Green

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Joni Mitchell's Hejira, 1975.

Oh, I love this album so much.
Especially Coyote.

https://youtu.be/5AfPR_B8s-A

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Electric Prunes - I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night) 1969

When choosing videos for these songs, I like to show the musicians actually playing their instruments (they weren't big on videos back then), something I find fascinating. Are they really playing in this video? The guitars are obviously electric, but I don't see any cords, amps or speakers. And what is the instrument of the guy in front? Autoharp?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27830 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they really playing in this video?

No, they’re lip syncing the studio version. The same is obviously true of the next song as well.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, this is another classic example that springs to mind where it's very obvious that they're just "playing along" to the studio version, and a repost from page 4:

The guitars and keyboard aren't plugged in, and the singer's face in no way matches the sounds you're hearing in many parts (most obvious is at about 3:19). Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like this was more common than not back in that era.

Posts: 17050 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post