SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Batman - Anyone going to go see this? ETA: Watched it tonight. Review pg 3. Not bad at all.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Batman - Anyone going to go see this? ETA: Watched it tonight. Review pg 3. Not bad at all. Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
No, that actually happened. Of course, the Batman didn't confirm his alternate identity to the Riddler, so he's still got plausible deniability. What was really bad about it all was that the Batman left shortly thereafter and Riddler was left to start a conversation with the Joker. I could only imagine what would happen if Riddler speculated about the Batman's identity with the Joker.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Batman (and the viewer) panics for a second because he thinks the Riddler has sussed out his identity.

Then the Riddler continues in his rant, and it's clear that he's just rambling about how Bruce Wayne was "the one that got away" due to the botched bombing, and the Riddler thinks it all would have worked if only Bruce Wayne had been killed as planned.

The Riddler has no clue that Bruce Wayne is Batman. But the intention was for the viewer to be caught up in Batman's uncertainty for a little bit too.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Batman (and the viewer) panics for a second because he thinks the Riddler has sussed out his identity.

Then the Riddler continues in his rant, and it's clear that he's just rambling about how Bruce Wayne was "the one that got away" due to the botched bombing, and the Riddler thinks it all would have worked if only Bruce Wayne had been killed as planned.

The Riddler has no clue that Bruce Wayne is Batman. But the intention was for the viewer to be caught up in Batman's uncertainty for a little bit too.

Exactly. Batman THINKS he knows who he is, but is relieved to realize that he doesn't.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Overall I liked the movie. It reminded me of the Batman "Year One" comics.
Yeah, the woke line was unnecessary. How about throw a line in there like "those entitled black rioters" and see how people like it.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The woke line was stupid but Bruce Wayne's privileged, playboy persona has always been a big focus of the story... everybody thinks he's a spoiled rich kid who is doing nothing about the plight of the city because he's not political and he isn't out for notoriety, And of course the great irony of the story is that he is, in fact, doing way more than anyone and he doesn't want the credit.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The privileged part is perfectly acceptable. It's the racist "kill whitey" shit that's gotta stop.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
In the past, it may have been annoying but shaken off.

Today, any presence of gratuitous woke BS just pisses me off. And it really detracted from the movie here. Tell me a story. Don't try to make be believe BLM is relevant.

That being said, the movie itself was too long for me. Half way through I was looking for things to get wrapped up. I think I generally liked the Selina character. Bruce seemed to be an ass toward Alfred; while doing good work, he comes across as an asshole. An asshole going good is some cognitive dissonance unless this is just about revenge for him. In which case, this would be personal and not for the general good.

So, story and characters - not sure what to think yet. Woke BS - hated it. Net - I could leave it; definitely not a must watch for me. More like a watch if nothing else to do / see then maybe.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night. I appreciate the concept of emphasizing Batman's detective skills, but the character just looks silly standing around doing his Jack Reacher/Sherlock Holmes deductive reasoning thing wearing his batman costume. I just kept focusing on his little bat ears.

Maybe a Spoiler:

One plot development that didn't work for me was
when he wakes up in the police station the surrounding officers wait until he wakes up to try to take off is mask to discern his identity. Why wouldn't they have unmasked him as soon as they got to his unconscious body?

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
When he wakes up in the police station the surrounding officers wait until he wakes up to try to take off is mask to discern his identity. Why wouldn't they have unmasked him as soon as they got to his unconscious body?
What would be the fun in that? Hollyweird bullshit, pandering to the audience for more hype. Don't try to put real life actions into a fantasy movie.

How many times have you watched a movie and said to the TV screen "Don't open that door!" or "Don't do that shit!"? Any they do it anyway and end up dead.

Posts: 9036 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
When he wakes up in the police station the surrounding officers wait until he wakes up to try to take off is mask to discern his identity. Why wouldn't they have unmasked him as soon as they got to his unconscious body?
What would be the fun in that? Hollyweird bullshit, pandering to the audience for more hype. Don't try to put real life actions into a fantasy movie.

I just assumed Gordon would have waved them off while at the scene, ridden with the Batman back to the station, etc.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
YOU gonna take off Batman's mask while he's out cold? Man is gonna wake up eventually. Me? I'm gonna get him the fluffiest pillow I can find and leave him be.

I didn't have a problem with The Line. Selina Kyle went from an orphanage to the streets. She's gonna have some resentment issues. Right or wrong, that's going to be the perception of someone with her background.

I really liked the scene with Riddler at Arkham. Might have been the only scene he was in that I liked. That sheer moment of panic where Batman just knows he's screwed and then Riddler just keeps talking and it's clear he doesn't know after all.

I gave the movie a second watch. It's still a mess, but I hope Pattinson gets a sequel. I'd like to see what he does with a more seasoned Batman. I like the montage at the end where he discovers he can offer more than just vengence. I also never thought I'd say it, but he looks good in the suit. They need to lose the silly leg pouch though. It's Batman. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief enough to accept that anything he needs, no matter how large or how much cable it requires, somehow fits in his utility belt.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Slight drift - having watched the movie, I started to watch the TV series called Gotham. It's not the same tone but I kind of like it far. There's no Batman, it's Bruce when he's still a kid. So I guess it's not really a Batman show per se.

It's mostly about Gordon actually. But it seems pretty decent so far. And Morena - wow, I'd watch it just to see her. I've liked her since Firefly / Serenity.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I saw a headline earlier that said a second film with Pattinson had been greenlit.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I saw a headline earlier that said a second film with Pattinson had been greenlit.

They made a sequel to the terrible Amazing Spider-Man too. Unfortunately.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
It on HBO Max, I logged in online, got halfway through and gave up.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Watched it. Liked it pretty well, but fully one hour too long IMO.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Slow, long and forgettable. Nothing particularly remarkable or memorable about it.

From the start, it reminded me of The Crow, but in a rejected script kind of way. Made want to rewatch Brandon Lee’s final movie once again..

Not really looking forward to see Mr. Pattinson or the writers sequel any time soon.
Really didn’t recognize Collin Farrel at all. Had to look him up.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Pattinson is good, but the movie needed an editor.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post