SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Batman - Anyone going to go see this? ETA: Watched it tonight. Review pg 3. Not bad at all.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Batman - Anyone going to go see this? ETA: Watched it tonight. Review pg 3. Not bad at all. Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. I like long movies if they're paced accordingly, and I felt this was. I did stop it a few times to make dinner so maybe that skewed my perception. I'd rank this one up with Dark Knight.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It was OK.

The constant low talking was annoying, I had to keep turning it up. Why are they whispering even when alone on a roof or whatever?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
My wife and son said it wasn't that good...a bit slow. I wouldn't know since I fell asleep not too far in. Honestly, I've never been a big fan of superhero movies, and there have been too many of them recently.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I found the movie a mixed bag. It was too long and a little disjointed. The Riddler portrayal was terrible. Surprisingly, I had no issues with Pattinson as Batman. Despite my concerns with the casting I found him to do an admirable job of portraying a relatively new Batman still figuring out his place in Gotham and his alter ego. That alter ego being Bruce Wayne. Have no doubt, Wayne is the disguise.

I liked that he didn’t force the Bat Voice, was utterly brutal in a fight, actually showed that Batman is a detective, and has a bit of humor. The new Batmobile is an absolute beast.

I’ll give it another watch to firm up my opinion, but I’d probably give it a C+ overall. Worth watching to kill some time, but nothing special.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just finished it. I couldn't say which is my favorite Batman, but I can certainly say it wasn't this one. Too much introspection. Too much angst. Too much philosophizing. Didn't care for Riddler at all.

Don't regret having watched it, but I won't repeat the experience.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
A bit more than halfway through. So far, it's a good take on the story/characters. I like how each movie has its own take on things. This one isn't too bad. Not my favorite, but decent.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Two words ruined it for me.

They just HAD to add those two goddammed words. There was no need to add the woke bullshit in the movie, but they did.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Yep, ruined it for me too, and they waited until late in the movie to do it after I'd already invested more than a couple hours watching it. If they had done it early in the movie, I would have turned it off then. I should've followed Para's advice of "Hell no".

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

They just HAD to add those two goddammed words. There was no need to add the woke bullshit in the movie, but they did.
I give up. What two words?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Glad I didn’t pay to watch it in a theater (it’s on HBO Max).

****Spoiler Alert****

REALLY - opening a parachute just before going under a bridge??? Should rename himself "The Slighty Stoopid Man"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I'm not a big superhero movie fanatic, I have enjoyed some of the movies in the genre to include some in the Batman series.

This one was, as described by many above, a snoozer. Literally, I kept falling asleep. I think Pattison did an okay job, so it wasn't him. Although his hair as Bruce Wayne reminded me of the Emo kids on South Park.

The pace of the movie was just brutal, the low dialog was frustrating. And it started early on, my wife and I started joking throughout the movie, Geebus, 2 hours to go. Oh no, an hour and a half, an hour, etc".

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonydec:
This one was, as described by many above, a snoozer. Literally, I kept falling asleep.
Word.

My wife fell asleep halfway through, Friday evening. We decided to call it quits and finish it up last night.

After watching more of it we decided to pause for a break. I saw the remaining time and remarked "Still X minutes to go?!?!" "Yeah," my wife replied.

Had these colleagues back a number of years ago, with whom I'd get together for a themed movie thing. One night it was war movies. So I brought The Longest Day. It was thereinafter referred-to as The Longest Movie by my colleagues Smile

The Batman is two minutes shorter, but seems much longer.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Hated the new Batmobile, fwiw.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's not just the two words.

My son was over earlier in the week and we compared notes on the movie and we agreed it was basically a paid Hollywood advertisement for Critical Race Theory. The whole movie is dipped in woke. Every single bad, corrupt, evil person is white. All of the people of color are good people, or people of good conscience, concern for the greater good; Jim Gordon, a white character for over 80 years in comics, TV and film, is now suddenly black. The one uniformed cop, Officer Martinez, that helps Gordon and Batman is hispanic. The new black mayor, a cross between AOC and Obama, stands for Hope & Change, wants to rid the city of corruption and pro-business policies/gentrification in exchange for programs to help the poor and disenfranchised. And of course she is being hunted down at the arena by anti-government militia types shooting assault weapons. And Catwoman, played by Lenny Kravitz’s daughter, the other “hero” in the film (even though she has some criminal tendencies) has a chip on her shoulder in regards to wealthy white people.

In the subway scene where an Asian man is attacked by painted face thugs, the lone gang member who is resistant to assaulting the Asian man is black, his gang leaders are white.

And does anyone really think this was coincidental or was it intentionally woven into the story? And an underlying theme of Batman; starting out as a detective, a vigilante beating down criminals, he realizes it’s better be more of a symbol for “hope” to help the poor and helpless rather than fight bad guys. How woke indeed.

As far as the long length of the movie, I had no problem with The Godfather, Godfather II, Lawrence of Arabia, It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Deer Hunter, The Right Stuff, and other films in the same 3 hour running time. A good film will hold your attention no matter the length.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Pretty accurate review. The mayor was really too much for me. Young and on that change the whole world bullshit. The entitlement whites comment didn’t bother me nearly as much as that casting for the mayor. Had it been an older, more experienced woman, sure.

There were too many scenes that were too long. Little to no dialog, with Batboy just standing there looking at things. Lame jokes “I’m wearing gloves”. And several things were very odd. You’ve got state of the art contact lens, but the switchgear on stuff is straight out of the 60’s. That was odd and so was his mask. Every time they had a close up of his mask I either thought it was from a gimp outfit or his grandma made it for him. Such odd choices. It’s 2022. If you want to make some of these decisions just set the film in the 1960’s or something. Same goes for the Riddler’s mask. You spend what you did on this film and that’s the best you can do?

Reeves just wasn’t the right director for this at all. And Pattinson can act but it’s just not the right role for him. It just doesn’t work. Zoe can act and is very attractive but at 5’2” her “kicking ass” just wasn’t believable. It was something new to watch but I don’t even think the character was portrayed as well as Affleck’s Batman and this couldn’t hold a candle to Nolan and Bale’s work.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Hated the new Batmobile, fwiw.

I thought it was bizarre that the startup sequence was both fascinating and intimidating but as soon as he put it in drive the glowing hood and fire-spitting hood/fender vents stopped doing their thing.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

I give up. What two words?

When cat burglar says white privileged white men.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
When cat burglar says white privileged white men.
Oh, that. Yeah, that prompted an internal eye-roll from me.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
And why was that arena chosen as the mass shelter? Very stupid place to pick based on the outcome

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
SPOILER....
Ok, so I'm a bit confused on one part. When Batman met with the Riddler after he was caught, didn't he reveal that he knew that Batman was Bruce Wayne? Batman looked up to see an active camera on them, too. Nothing came of it. Did I just misinterpret the situation? It was pretty late.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post