SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Batman - Anyone going to go see this? ETA: Watched it tonight. Review pg 3. Not bad at all.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Batman - Anyone going to go see this? ETA: Watched it tonight. Review pg 3. Not bad at all. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I thought it was great, up there with the Dark Knight.

Cool noir vibe.

Worth the ticket price, and enjoyable in an empty theater.

Yeah it was a little long.

Pattinson was a huge step up from Affleck. As was the entire theme of the movie. Less comic book oriented, more of a dark detective movie. Very well done. The sound and visuals were excellent.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll check it out at some point. I thought Pattinson sucked until I saw Tenet. And my opinion of him has changed for the better.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
I really didn't care for it. The first 2/3rds of the movie was ok, but the last 1/3rd really sucked. The entire movie was dark, dark, dark. All the same mood.

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Yep. I’d like my 3 hours back. My kid enjoyed it though, so that was worth it. Maybe.

My experience is similar.

My son wanted me to watch this movie with him last Sunday, just like old times when he was a child. My first movie theater experience in years, my first comic movie since Joker. There were maybe 10 other people, a matinee showing. No kids, no laser pointers, no cell phone interruptions. Really nice spacious seats. Good so far.

The digital projection was horrible, just awful. It was plenty bright, but contrast was really bad, fast moving scenes just blurred, etc. I'm sure it will look better on a good player/TV screen combo.

I didn't like the movie much, IMO not in the same league as the Chris Nolan films. For me, the script was a bit cliched, moments of woke dialog; I had a number of facepalm moments. It is not lost on me that most of the "good guys" are people of color, and the evil bad men are all white guys. The movie had too much fat that could have been cut. Despite the negatives, I liked performances from John Turturro and Colin Farrell. Even though Jeffery Wright was a diversity hire, he was decent.

My son, who likes some of the comic book films, liked the film, but agrees that the Nolan films are better. He told me that the director was influenced by Nirvana/Kurt Cobain, of all people, in making this movie. No wonder- the one dimensional smell of angst throughout the movie was overwhelming.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16692 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
For those that have seen it, how accurate is the rating? Is it appropriate for a 12 year old?

We are thinking about taking my 12 year old nephew to see it on Saturday. He gets much more leeway at his dad's house, but since we are on his Mom's side of the family, she is a bit more conservative on what she allows during her time with him.

FWIW, we took him to see the latest Spider Man movie two months ago, and that was just fine and I believe that was PG 13 as well.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Some time ago someone shared the parental section of IMDB.com. I just looked at it for this film ( link) and it seems fairly spot on.

This film was "heavy" showing more of the internal conflict of characters. There are some club scenes showing use of a drug (drops). The typical sexual implications of a strip club exist.

Overall, I would say it depends on the maturity of the 12 year old. Chances are there isn't much that hasn't already been seen at some other point.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Some time ago someone shared the parental section of IMDB.com. I just looked at it for this film ( link) and it seems fairly spot on.

This film was "heavy" showing more of the internal conflict of characters. There are some club scenes showing use of a drug (drops). The typical sexual implications of a strip club exist.

Overall, I would say it depends on the maturity of the 12 year old. Chances are there isn't much that hasn't already been seen at some other point.

He's a good kid, with a good family structure and good influences. From what I read I think it will be fine.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
For those that have seen it, how accurate is the rating? Is it appropriate for a 12 year old?

We are thinking about taking my 12 year old nephew to see it on Saturday. He gets much more leeway at his dad's house, but since we are on his Mom's side of the family, she is a bit more conservative on what she allows during her time with him.

FWIW, we took him to see the latest Spider Man movie two months ago, and that was just fine and I believe that was PG 13 as well.

I went to preview it re. taking an 11 year old in the house who wants to see it. For comparison, they watched Batman Begins with Bale with no real issues.

We would have walked out in the first 3 minutes. IMHO, there is a notable uptick in 'adult/sinister/scary' factor over previous iterations. it is much darker.

That being said, I thought the movie was pretty good. I'd give it a solid 3.5 out of 5 stars. Had Pattison bulked up a bit more, it would have been better...he's a notable step down from Bale and Affleck physically-speaking.

This deleted scene will give you a good idea of if your 12 yo can handle it...

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it overall.

I was probably borderline appropriate for a 12 year old, but he seemed to like it as well, despite it being 3 hours long.

Really not much "cringe worthy" or too "woke" except one small scene with Zoe Kravitz, and it really didn't ruin the movie, more just explain her characters perspective, which even though I disagree with it, could understand it.

It's long, it's dark. It starts off slow and DOES go into the Batman "World's Greatest Detective" kind of story.

And yes, Pattinson can indeed act. I really liked him in "Devil All The Time" and it sucks that he got badly type cast with his Harry Potter and Twilight stuff. He's not bad at all in this. Both this and the previously mentioned movies in this thread have totally changed my opinion of him.

My biggest gripe is that they seem to have him get shot a lot in the movie, and shrug it off as if wearing 1" thick steel body armor on all parts of his body. I prefer the version of Batman that doens't get shot, cause he uses darkness, confusion, stealth and speed to attack and disarm/defeat his enemies before they even have a chance to hit him... They JUST ABOUT get to that point in the action scenes, but then fail at that.

Jeffery Wright is good as usual, he always is. Great character actor.

I liked how it gave some back story on everyone, but was subtle about it.

I also like how they don't take the perfect black/white view of the people, especially Bruce Wayne's parents. They are flawed as well.

Part of me wishes that deleted scene posted above was in the movie, but I understand why it wasn't as to the ending.

I hope they continue the franchise and if they do, I'll go watch the next one.

I won't say that this is a "must watch" as in you need to go see it in the theater, but I will suggest that you watch it at some point. It's worth the three hours of your time. If you are expecting great cinema like "The Godfather" then it won't add up. If you want an entertaining movie set in the Batman Universe, you will get what you paid for.

I'll give it 7.5 stars out of 10, judged for what it is. It won't/shouldn't win Oscars. But it entertained me, my wife and our nephew who is staying with us for the weekend. That was the goal.

Kevin

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I'm not opposed to another Batman movie, I'm just tired of the endless reboots. I'd rather see Batman in his prime, solving crimes as the world's greatest detective.

This has the potential to really delve into that. This movie really showed the "detective" aspect of Batman.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Oh, and since I didn't know and hadn't seen anything online about it...

There IS a post credit "thing" although I won't call it a "scene."

Between the ending of the movie, the deleted scene posted above, and the post credits "incident" it is clear that they intend to make at least one more movie.

THat's all I'll say, up to you to decide if it is worth it to stick around. If you do, watch closely, it isn't long.

Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I gotta say, I was thoroughly impressed. I still had the image of Pattison in the Twilight movies - even though I had seen him in Tenet. So I was not looking forward to this version. However, it was very well written (number 1 part of any good movie), and the CGI was kept to a minimum or at least it was not so noticeable. I always thought the Avengers movies went way over the top in the last 45 minutes of their movies.

But it was really good. It could have ended two or three different times and shorted the movie by about 30 minutes (which would have been fine).

Hopefully they will continue on the line, I really liked the detective Batman.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I finally saw it last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'd say it's at least the 3rd best Batman film so far, behind The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises. Perhaps even 2nd, behind just The Dark Knight.

Cinematography was excellent. This is a beautifully shot film. The slow pace and intentional use of darkness works well. As a whole, Batman is much more "menacing" than in prior Batman films.

The director has stated that he wanted the Batmobile to be its own character, "like a creature in a horror film", and he succeeded. It only features in one sequence, but man, it knocks it out of the park. Involuntary ear-to-ear grin.

I do agree that it was overly long. I think they could have easily carved the last 20-30 minutes off it and been just fine, ending it around the confrontation with the primary villain. Paul Dano did a great job with a more serious "mentally ill serial killer" take on the Riddler.

The unnecessary ending length and single throwaway woke comment are really my only gripes with the film. I'm glad I chose to see it in the theater, as I think it's one of those films that benefits more than usual from the larger screen, darker theater, and chest-rumbling theatrical sound system.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it saturday. It was entertaining, but I'll agree that it was too long. Caught myself checking my watch several times. Pattinson wasn't bad and I'll admit to having low expectations of the "vampire boy." Some woke BS and some minority hires, but it was overall a good movie that didn't require me to think too hard to follow it (what I went for).

Michelle Pfeiffer is still my choice for catwoman though.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Starts streaming on HBO Max in 6 days on April 18th. 4k disc in May. That was fast. No reason to go to the theater anymore.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
This one was not for me. Too long and the story wasn’t exactly fast paced. Action scenes were a bit plain.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Watched tonight on HBO. Thought it was fine although it the plot kinda seemed like mashup of The Dark Knight (with Riddler playing the Joker's mastermind part) and Se7en, or something like that.

I thought the acting was all pretty solid and the action sequences were good. The finale in MSG was just kinda meh though.

The woke scene wasn't too bad... I saw it just as irony for her to be saying those things to the immensely wealthy Bruce Wayne. Every version of Batman has had similar winks to the camera.

Jeffrey Wright is not a diversity hire... he's great in everything he does.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I liked it.

Maybe my 6th favorite Batman film, I think, which sounds like an insult but isn't.

I like the three Nolan films the most, then Batman Returns with Devito's Penguin is my classic favorite, then the 4hr Justice League cut with Affleck is good, then this one with Pattinson, which is way better than the Kilmer film, the Clooney film, and even the first Keaton film which is okay - I simply like the second Keaton one best and I'm not into Jack's cartoony Joker, not his fault, but it's pretty campy to me.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Watched it at home and the only part that disappointed me was the end, when the Batman detonated the rooftop window to get into the coliseum. I've got basically a 3.1 channel system for my computer and the sound of the explosion was distinctly muffled. Guess Atmos is a must for that particular scene.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I started it but had to stop 1/4 of the way in because I found it irksome. If I don't give movies a rest when I'm feeling like that, I tend to be unreasonably harsh on the movie.

That being said, I was feeling aggravated because of the movie so.... Not a huge fan so far.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post