SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Book of Boba Fett (Dec '21)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Book of Boba Fett (Dec '21) Login/Join 
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Its always amused me that one of the most popular characters in the Star Wars universe was a throwaway villain, meant to die and be forgotten like some random Gamoreann guard.

Well, don't think Lucas expected there to ever be another Star Wars after Return of the Jedi...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Hey, it's Lucas' fault, for making that throwaway villain look so damn cool. Big Grin

Yes

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Yeah. The guy who got partially digested by a Sarlac, hadn't had food or water in who knows how long, got concussed by a Jawa, and dragged across the Judland Wastes by Sandpeople, and got beaten unconscious while tied to a post got his ass kicked by the Chief's best warrior. He did still manage to escape once, knock out a attack dog thing, and choke a four armed sand monster to death. What a wimp.

Morrison looks to be in better shape than when he made his first appearance in The Mandalorian and wrecked a whole platoon of Stormtroopers. I love him as Fett. He may want to rule with respect, but I have a feeling by the end of the season he's not going to be asking for it...

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vaalic,that is a nice collection. My son and I are jealous.

On a side note, I wound up letting Disney Plus go, as I didn't think they would have anything else worth watching but I am wrong. I liked the Mando series and it was a nice touch to bring Boba into the mix.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Did the Fennec Shand actress escape from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D? She seems to be playing the same hardass.

That's the reason I can't stand her. She's the same in every show--always angry.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good thing they were lazy and just had him wear a barabute. Nothing says "cool" like Italian design.

The other helmets (and armor in general) they came up with for the movies were mostly either stupid, impractical, or both.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

First, Boba comes out of the Sarlac pit fatter than he went in. Not a knock on the actor or body shaming, but the current actor has a noticeably different body type than the person who played him in ESB.

If that bothers you this much, I would say your standards are so high you can never be satisfied with the show. I never even noticed. It could have been worse - they could have used crappy CGI as in Rogue One. THAT would gave been terrible. I think the actor is amazing, and aged very well after the Star Wars prequels.

quote:
The bigger problem for me is that Boba is far from the super badass bounty hunter he was made out to be. He gets his ass kicked by a Tuskan raider. Maybe you can argue he was still a bit weak, but still his fighting was pretty lame. Plus, he’s not much better in the “present”. He and Fennec Shand are getting their asses kicked by the ninja guys with the shields, and are only saved by two Gammoran Guards, who were mostly jokes in ESB. In fact, Boba seems somehow now a less competent fighter that he was was when he came back in the Mandalorian.

In Empire/Jedi, Fett had 6 minutes of screen time with 4 lines (and he managed to almost argue with Darth Vader without showing ANY fear or intimidation - NO ONE other than Moff Tarkin, Leia, the Emperor, or Luke did that and lived.). It was quite easy to maintain his badass persona with so little screen time.

quote:
It’s pretty easy to see why the other crime lords aren’t exactly scared of him. He doesn’t seen the same character who walked in and casually offed Bib Fortuna just one episode ago.

Here, I agree. He may want to rule by respect, but he's gonna have to stack some bodies pretty soon if he wants to hold onto his position. I also thought it dumb to walk around in public with only 3 guards. If those assassins had pistols, they would all be dead.

I do like the fact they 'de-powered' Fett and Mando. It makes them more realistic. Many people hate how they made Rey into a perfect Mary Sue character, who could do everything perfectly without even rudimentary training (fly the Falcon, fight Kylo Ren, mind-trick Storm Troopers, kill a dozen Imperial Guards, etc). Instead, they made the new heroes more fallible, and hence, more human and relatable.

Mando gets his butt handed to him by the Mudhorn and a bunch of Jawas. Fett gets brutalized by sand people (and give the guy a break - he was weak and had barely survived the Sarlac pit). I think it is better this way, as it shows they are not Superman. It adds drama to the story. It is also the first episode. I'm sure he will be back to butt-kicking mode soon. I am guessing the next episode(s) will show him, via flashback, earning respect and freedom from the sandpeople (that Chief KNEW jr was full of crap and that Fett killed the critter).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Remember he also took a lot of those stun shots from the weapons the assassins had. Fennic can probably take more because she's half droid anyway.

I also suspect at some point Fett will unleash some ass kicking and get everyone in line

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
He had to immediately go into that healing pod thing after the fight, so he's obviously still nowhere near 100% yet.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
Two episodes in and I am pretty underwhelmed. I was surprised that Robert Rodriguez directed the first episode as the action sequences were "meh."

SPOILER ALERT

Maybe I have high standards, but I am not at all convinced that the "assassins" should have the fearsome reputation (though to be fair, this was remarked on by Shand). My biggest issue is that if they be assassins, they are terrible at it. Why would 9 of them surround their marks with riot shields and cattle prods and take turns jabbing them if assassination was their goal, when a simple way would be for one guy with a precision rifle... That is unless assassination was not their goal. Overall, the "assassins" were pretty wimpy. Yeah, I'd spill my guts when the gates to an empty rancor cage.

The second episode felt entirely derivative of other, better movies. The train sequence is like any other train/truck sequence...like say from The Road Warrior. The entire Tusken Raiders arc is like The Man Called Horse (and many others). And the final train shot is very much ripped off from Lawrence of Arabia.

I don't know, the first 2 episodes overall feels very much "fan service" to answer the "burning questions" How did Boba get out of the Salaac Pit? How did Boba get the gaffi stick? What has been doing all that time in Tatooine? Groan!

I hope the show is done with flashbacks and move onto Boba's current situation.

Edited to add: The use of the word "daimyo" bugs the hell out of me. It's the first time the word is used as the title for the criminal boss in Tatooine in the Star Wars universe and feels totally out of place. For those unfamiliar with Japanese, the term refers to warlords and large landowners in feudal Japan. Odd choice for title of criminal overlord

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Windhover,

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
The entire Tusken Raiders arc is like The Man Called Horse (and many others).

Dances with Banthas

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
In Empire/Jedi, Fett had 6 minutes of screen time with 4 lines (and he managed to almost argue with Darth Vader without showing ANY fear or intimidation - NO ONE other than Moff Tarkin, Leia, the Emperor, or Luke did that and lived.). It was quite easy to maintain his badass persona with so little screen time.

One of the great unexpected character developments in movie history: interesting name, striking armor/helmet, cool name and even cooler job, all for 6-minutes of screen time over two movies. Lucas knew how to build characters and stories, he's just not as good a director.
quote:
I do like the fact they 'de-powered' Fett and Mando. It makes them more realistic. Many people hate how they made Rey into a perfect Mary Sue character, who could do everything perfectly without even rudimentary training (fly the Falcon, fight Kylo Ren, mind-trick Storm Troopers, kill a dozen Imperial Guards, etc). Instead, they made the new heroes more fallible, and hence, more human and relatable.

Part of the attraction with the Favreau/Filoni team is their show(s) are more grounded, there's a degree of minimalism, the dialogue is more measured and super declaratory, each frame isn't densely packed with activity like 7, 8, & 9. If anything, their productions are a relief if only that the activity on the screen is slowed-down and not as frenetic as many action-dramas have become.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Okay, I thought Chewie was an imposing presence; however, I now know different.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I liked the 2nd episode and I loathe Disney as a company. Though the Sand People you’re one of us now thing was decent. I’m not overwhelmed or anything but I thought episode 2 was a lot better than ep 1. I can see a fight with the Hutts where all the Raider tribes show up to back up Daimyo Fett.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More Wookies is a good thing

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Still liked it and looking forward to episode 3. The hutt CGI was a bit weak, though. The original Jabba that was a puppet looked tons better.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
More Wookies is a good thing

Agreed. I'm glad to see them doing better with them.

They're supposed to be some of the strongest and most terrifying warriors in the galaxy, but Wookies in the Clone Wars show and prequel movies were more comical than impressive/intimidating.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Better than the first one, but I really think this one line should have been:

(tongue click) Well, I don't see your name in the schedule, could you spell that, please and I'll look again?

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
The entire Tusken Raiders arc is like The Man Called Horse (and many others).

I just said this to someone today! I'm glad to hear someone else picked up on that. Smile

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you. I was arguing this with a coworker today. Fett was barely anything until the EU crafted all the lore and fan-fiction around him. I'm glad they're bringing him to life and I hope he has a chip on his shoulder from trying to be as big as Jango was in his own mind.

The second episode was great! First episode was bleh, but the 2nd time I watched it I was less, I don't know, put off by it as I was the first time.

I will say that if they make Fennec do all the heavy lifting, there's no reason to keep Fett around.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post