SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Reacher on Amazon
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reacher on Amazon Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I finished the series last night. It was better than I expected and happy to say it. As someone else said, I expected Reacher to look older even though the numbers work for his age.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38679 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Finally, a show the wife and I enjoy together

It does bother me a bit that they do a terrible job of faking a GA town. I noticed it right away, the first give away was the Spruce trees everywhere

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I heard a podcast with Lee Childs, and he said that the way he wrote the character, no real person would really fit the role.

Thought that was interesting in his perspective.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
My wife and I started the series on Monday when we realized after 1 episode that Billions season 6 had morphed into a total woke suck-fest.

So we started Reacher instead and have been doing 2 episodes a night. She didn't want to see it because the previews made it looks stupid. I had thought so also.
She and I really like and enjoy this. Whoever made that preview should be out of a job.

I suspected he wasn't tall enough and the other actors were cast (as with Cruise) to make him look larger. But he speaks well and intelligently, can actually act, and when he wants to, can move like a cat. I suspect that last one is why they cast him. You don't find too many giants that can move like that.

My wife also contends that he speaks and acts like someone 'on the spectrum' sometimes. Someone else mentioned this as well. Maybe they just want people to wonder.

Also noticed the kid actor they have cast for Reacher as a kid is the same one playing Will Robinson in the Amazon Lost in Space Re-Boot. I thought the flashbacks were well done as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Episode #5 I was impressed.... Reacher and his two conspirators are brain storming about what to do and he gets an epiphany and goes to draw a diagram on the regional map on the wall and reaches on a desk for a magic marker.... two second shot of him pulling the marker out of the jar:

Probably the most regionally accurate scene in the movie.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I missed something.
Who was "The Viking"?
Did we actually see him at some point?

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I missed something.
Who was "The Viking"?
Did we actually see him at some point?

If I remember right (old man memory) he was the partner of the dirty cop that was driving Reacher and Gedly(?) after the rendezvous with the CI. The copy mentioned that the Viking had been his partner in the past and he had either killed him or he had dies some other way.

Posts: 274 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I thought the Viking was that guy who got choked out on the fire escape by his tie. Didn't Finley call Reacher, ask about the Viking and Reacher says "That was a dead end."

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
As a big fan of the novels I love the show. I think it nails the character and overall vibe.

I also like the first TC movie, he acted the part well.

So you know the books. Can you comment on how the Amazon series Reaches seems to speak like he's somewhat autistic or in the spectrum with his answers? That's how some of his lines came across to me.

I did like all the sows except for the final fight with the ultimate bad guy; a better final "monster" to fight the climactic fight would have been better. Nothing in the previous episodes built up the guy to be anywhere near a match for Reacher.

It's been awhile since I read Killing Floor but I've read every novel, some more than once, and to me the "tone" is almost perfect (except too high pitched, needs to be deeper).

Reacher's emotions are powerful and deep and dark and not on the surface at all. And he "cares" little about people except for expecting (and returning) courtesy in basic interactions and a strong dedication to fellow soldiers, and a strong dislike for discourteous people.

And if anything, the show made the situation more than a match for Reacher. In the books, Reacher is absolutely unmatched physically except for a handful of times (in 25+ books).

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
I thought the Viking was that guy who got choked out on the fire escape by his tie. Didn't Finley call Reacher, ask about the Viking and Reacher says "That was a dead end."

**************SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!*************

New York was a "dead end" (insert yuks here). The Viking died of cancer 3 (?) years prior and (big reveal) was the FBI guy's ex-partner, which Reacher finds out by coming into the house (while being told this by Neagley) and having said guy holding the women at gunpoint.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhhh! The whole "lucky guess" thing on the phone. Thanks!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It wasn't bad, until Reacher went into the final fight with just a pistol and not enough magazines. Shit like that bothers me. Especially when all through the series the main character keeps saying that details matter.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
It wasn't bad, until Reacher went into the final fight with just a pistol and not enough magazines. Shit like that bothers me. Especially when all through the series the main character keeps saying that details matter.

Yeah, and when Roscoe first opened that box and gave Reacher the Desert Eagle, there were two mags in the box. He only took one, that I saw.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Episode #5 I was impressed.... Reacher and his two conspirators are brain storming about what to do and he gets an epiphany and goes to draw a diagram on the regional map on the wall and reaches on a desk for a magic marker.... two second shot of him pulling the marker out of the jar:

Probably the most regionally accurate scene in the movie.
Details matter.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Finally, a show the wife and I enjoy together

It does bother me a bit that they do a terrible job of faking a GA town. I noticed it right away, the first give away was the Spruce trees everywhere

I think fake was the point. If I recall the book, the town was “too perfect”.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
As a big fan of the novels I love the show. I think it nails the character and overall vibe.

As for any inaccuracies, I can ignore them, the author Lee Child is a Brit. He does a better than average job but he isn’t and can’t be expected to be a Stephen Hunter.

I also like the first TC movie, he acted the part well.

So you know the books. Can you comment on how the Amazon series Reaches seems to speak like he's somewhat autistic or in the spectrum with his answers? That's how some of his lines came across to me.

There’s nothing in the books about him being on the spectrum. It’s just I think the interplay of Reacher’s very unorthodox approach to life, the lines and the actor.

I bet the actor will really improve 2nd season as he gets a lot more comfortable with the character. He’s read all the books and is a fan.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
He’s read all the books and is a fan.

I'm happy to hear that.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38679 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I love his sense of humor. Many LOL lines.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Mrs. vinnybass & I finished it up last night. We enjoyed it & would watch another season. I liked his sense of humor.

SPOILER FOLLOWS!!!

My main hang-up was how Junior fared initially against Reacher at the end. Judging from the way Reacher dispatched every one else in the series, he should have mopped Junior post-haste. I guess that's a TV cliche for you.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Same thing with Junior's buddy when Reacher goes after him and the others in the house... that skinny rut of a guy would not have had a chance against Reacher and he's beating him all to hell with the crow bar...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post