SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Reacher on Amazon
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reacher on Amazon Login/Join 
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I loved it. I was a little worried they made him too warm and fuzzy from the teaser trailer. They did not. Pretty much spot on from the version in my head. That poor bastard in the cell in the first episode got a lesson in target selection...

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Killing Floor was the only Reacher book I read, and I thought the show was better. We quite enjoyed it.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6040 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The show is entertaining. No more ridiculous than a lot of other shows that are a lot worse.

did they ever explain how he and Joe were both in town beyond a serious coincidence?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

did they ever explain how he and Joe were both in town beyond a serious coincidence?

Yes. Jack regarding Blind Blake, and Joe involved in his Secret Service investigation.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Yes. Jack regarding Blind Blake, and Joe involved in his Secret Service investigation.

Yeah that's a big coincidence though, to both be there. Was curious if I missed something else like Joe told him about Blind Blake to draw him there or something.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Yeah that's a big coincidence though, to both be there. Was curious if I missed something else like Joe told him about Blind Blake to draw him there or something.

He did.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've seen episodes 1 & 2 now, and like it so much I am just going to do one episode a day and savor. So far, I think they have a winner both for the Reacher actor and following the plot line of the book. Killing Floor (1997) was the first Reacher book, and I've read all of them more than once. The jail shower fight scene in episode 1 was awesome.

Doing one book per season would be a good idea, but bad for me as I'd not live long enough to catch all 27 (so far) seasons. I don't really expect being around at 102 years of age.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Joe did mention the blues guy but I think they had not spoken for years and so it still falls back on a coincidence....

the guy playing Reacher might be 39 but he sure doesn't look it or like he has gone through as much tough stuff as him.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
The other thing that bugged me was characters with a pistol putting down someone with an M4 or similar and just kicking it away and continuing to engage other targets with their pistol instead of picking up the long gun(s).

Jack Bauer did that pretty much every time, IIRC.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5159 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My favorite character was “Neagley.” Hope she comes back in any future seasons. Beautiful and kick-ass

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
My favorite character was “Neagley.” Hope she comes back in any future seasons. Beautiful and kick-ass

Biscuit in a Basket

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
The GF and I watched the first four episodes this afternoon and enjoyed them. Ritchson is a little too pretty and still a little short (6'2"). They cover for the height well by surrounding him with short actors and selective camera angles.

Alan Ritchson makes a good Jack Reacher, but my ideal choice is still Ray Stevenson ('Titus Pullo' from Rome).

He's good, but too old. Remember there's 26+ books to make into series.

I'm enjoying it, but I always pictured Reacher's voice deeper and more growly.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1953 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
big fan of the books and loved it.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Watched episode 3 yesterday. Getting better and better, and really following the book's plot.

Afterwards, I retired to the garage for an hour of reading and a couple of smokes. I was inspired to have Blind Blake playing on my Homepod the whole hour. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Amazon has already renewed the series for a second season. Link

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15480 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Binged it yesterday and liked it. If it's realism you want though, might as well compare it to Archer but with fewer laughs.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished it, as a fan of the books I loved it! Cool cameo in the last episode only a book fan would catch.

In terms of “realism” it isn’t any less realistic than any other plot in any novel or show and the author is from England so I don’t expect him to have the firearms knowledge of Sigforum or the US Army knowledge I have at 26 years in.

Looking forward to the next season!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Comparing Reacher to another "fantasy" book series I have a love(ish) relationship with that was converted to a TV(ish) series on Amazon, that being Wheel of Time I have to say that I really enjoyed Reacher and am looking forward to the next adaptation. I'm not really anywhere near as jazzed for WOT.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1953 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Neagley is great in season 1, in 2 episodes so far and I'm up to #5. I just watched episode 5, and even if you didn't know that Neagley is pronounced Neeley (who can tell from a book), there are clues abundant to her character.

Start at 23:00 of episode 5 when Reacher has gone to Boston to meet her, with no established meeting place. He has to figure out where she would be in Boston. He finally settles on a restaurant, based on a number of clues to her personality. He sits, and she's in the booth right behind him. That very scene repeats in Bad Luck and Trouble, when Neagley reconvenes the Special Investigators to investigate one of their former team's murder. "You do not mess with the Special Investigators".

Also in episode 5, when Neagley and Reacher go to Memphis, she refuses to shake hands with an MPD officer, and Reacher says "She's not big on contact". That's Neagley to a tee. Later, when they climb out of the submerged cruiser, they each say "You do not mess with the Special Investigators".

A good choice of actress for her, too, based on what I've picked up from reading the books, and she is kick-ass in the books as well.

When in doubt, mumble

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
As a big fan of the novels I love the show. I think it nails the character and overall vibe.

As for any inaccuracies, I can ignore them, the author Lee Child is a Brit. He does a better than average job but he isn’t and can’t be expected to be a Stephen Hunter.

I also like the first TC movie, he acted the part well.

So you know the books. Can you comment on how the Amazon series Reaches seems to speak like he's somewhat autistic or in the spectrum with his answers? That's how some of his lines came across to me.

I did like all the sows except for the final fight with the ultimate bad guy; a better final "monster" to fight the climactic fight would have been better. Nothing in the previous episodes built up the guy to be anywhere near a match for Reacher.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post