SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
exx1976,

which matches do you plan on shooting this year? Hope to see you at a few.

I'll shoot all the local matches in Colorado, Raton that don't conflict... T3 is going to start back up. Registered for the Steel Safari. Committed to shooting the Team Safari with fritz, we're going to have a blast! PRS match in Raton, Saquache, Battle of the Breakneck, Albuquerque and ELR in Wyoming (shoot a long barrel 6.5x47!) NRL match in Craig, probably at least one other NRL match....

Have two Dasher barrels on the way from jelrod1 this week, will have him chamber a 6.5x47 barrel soon, should get me through the season.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
How do you 22 LR shooters clean your barrels?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
I found that Bore-Tech C4 Carbon Remover works great, does a good job removing lead fouling.

Swab and soak, then push a wet patch wrapped around a brush, then dry patches. And you're good to go.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
exx1976,

which matches do you plan on shooting this year? Hope to see you at a few.

I'll shoot all the local matches in Colorado, Raton that don't conflict... T3 is going to start back up. Registered for the Steel Safari. Committed to shooting the Team Safari with fritz, we're going to have a blast! PRS match in Raton, Saquache, Battle of the Breakneck, Albuquerque and ELR in Wyoming (shoot a long barrel 6.5x47!) NRL match in Craig, probably at least one other NRL match....

Have two Dasher barrels on the way from jelrod1 this week, will have him chamber a 6.5x47 barrel soon, should get me through the season.

I'm planning to go to Alpine's match, the SD match GAP Grind, and hopefully Quiet Riot. No more battle of Breakneck for me. My buddy that was involved in the planning/running is no longer involved, so.. But that aside, one year it was 124 degrees, and the next, 12. Seems they can't get decent weather to save their lives, so, let em have it. Plus it's a LONG drive for me being as it's so far from any interstates.

Also plan to shoot the Wall, SD matches, and several of the Border War Rifle Series matches.

T3 is starting again? Same type of format? $100, cash payouts? I might come out for one of those, depending on scheduling. I really enjoyed that match, heatstroke aside (thanks again, fritz!). Did they manage to get that lease back, or will it be on new ground?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
How do you 22 LR shooters clean your barrels?

I start with a single very wet patch, using RemOil spray. Often there's a lot of gunk in a 22lr bore, supposedly from unburned primer and powder. This can be sharp stuff and I don't want any excess pressure of dragging it along the length of the barrel. Depending on how many rounds I've shot since the last cleaning, it may take 2 or 3 single wet patches to get these dark chip-like thingies out of the bore.

Once the initial single patches only show fine powder residue, I put two wet patches on the jag. When the patches are almost coming out without powder residue, I run one dry patch through the bore.

Maybe after one or two thousand rounds, I will run a brush through the bore a couple of times.

I clean the bore if I've shot at least 100 rounds. The more rounds shot, the more wet patches I end up running down the bore.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Do you use anything other than RemOil spray, fritz?

And thanks for your suggestion, Alpine.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use this stuff. Follow the instructions on the bottle...

http://www.boretech.com/products/rimfire-blend

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen that advertised, offgrid, and wondered about its effectiveness. Thanks.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Do you use anything other than RemOil spray, fritz?

I started using RemOil by chance many years ago. Cleaning my shotgun barrels after 200 and 300 round tournaments was a chore. Lots of powder residue, burnt plastic residue from the wads, and some lead. I tried a bunch of cleaners -- sometimes I needed 25 or more patches down each bore to get the barrels clean. I tried the RemOil on one very frustrating cleaning day and found it required 1/2 to 2/3 of the number of patches as my other products. Stayed with RemOil and never looked back.

I've tried a number of products on rifles, too. RemOil just seems to work for me, both center fire and rimfire. I get more gunk per patch with it. I still use Slip 2000 Carbon Killer for nasty carbon build up. Carbon Killer is slow acting, so it needs to soak in for best results. I have a true copper cleaner (Tetra? definitely has ammonia in it) which is use once in a blue moon. I don't let ammonia products sit in my bores for very long.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

T3 is starting again? Same type of format? $100, cash payouts? I might come out for one of those, depending on scheduling. I really enjoyed that match, heatstroke aside (thanks again, fritz!). Did they manage to get that lease back, or will it be on new ground?

Alpine was in TriggerTime before Christmas, talked to Paul and Zach. Match will be just north of where we shot before, which was part of the land they were leasing. Talking about lowering the match fee to $50?

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Alpine was in TriggerTime before Christmas, talked to Paul and Zach. Match will be just north of where we shot before, which was part of the land they were leasing. Talking about lowering the match fee to $50?

Lowering the match fee? I don't like the sound of that... I thought $100 was just right.

Oh well.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lowering the match fee? I don't like the sound of that...

I don't either, I won't win as much Big Grin

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's what I was thinking, my 2nd place winnings will be reduced.. Frown

Sort of makes the trip that much more expensive.

posted Hide Post
With lower entry fees there may be more competitors. Mo' competitors equal mo' money.

Bring it on. I enjoyed the T3 matches, and they're one of the easiest matches to get to from Denver.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's what I was thinking, my 2nd place winnings will be reduced.. Frown

Sort of makes the trip that much more expensive.

I'm sure no one would complain if you guys each threw a couple C-notes into the prize pot. That would make the prizes pay out more.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
I'm sure no one would complain if you guys each threw a couple C-notes into the prize pot. That would make the prizes pay out more.

Alpine FTW!

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
.22lr training rifle finally in hand. Mounted the scope but still have some work to do. Need to ditch the sling swivel stud and attach a short rail section. I want to run an Atlas so it's the same as its bigger siblings. Also need to order a scope level so I don't get out of that practice. Then figure out the trigger adjustments and it will be range ready. Now if it would just warm up......

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Wuss!

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Wuss!

Absolutely ! One thing getting older has ushered in is a decreased tolerance to the cold. Frown

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Shot the monthly steel match yesterday in Rifle, CO. It was 9-deg when the match started, and 19-deg when it ended. I't wasn't that bad, except should have put my insulated boots on, but I thought it was going to warm up more, my fault. Ended up tying for second place. I felt I did poorly throughout the match. My mind and heart were not totally commited, and because of the snow on the ground, my eye's had a hard time focusing on targets over 400-yards. Where I really bombed the match was at the end where we had five targets at 550-yards, 8, 7, 6, 5 and 4-inch plates. I missed all the plates except I was lucky and hit the 5-inch plate with my second shot. At that point my eye's where so shot I couldnt clearly see my misses (impacts) in the dirt berm behind the targets.

Looking forward to the Raton match next month, and hope there isn't much snow on the ground that day.

George Carlin