SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
First off, there is nothing wrong with the rifle you have. You just have to realisticlly approach what you can do with it, or have realistic expectations. Although your rifle is not the best for punching small groups on paper at distance, it will help you learn the fundamentals of shooting long range. As far as an AR platform goes, you will discover it will be harder to drive that platform compared to a bolt gun. Trigger, lock time, mechanical (reciprocal) movement of parts, etc. all limit the accuracy of a semi-auto. And then there's the subject of the 308 cartridge. You will find varying opinions here of that cartridge, but realize, eventhough there are many other cartridges far superior to the 308 ballisticly, the cartridge is capable of superior accuracy with the right load, and because of it's ballistic shortcomings, it will help better teach you long range shooting such as how to deal with wind.

All the Bryan Litz books will help you understand ballistics, bullets, cartridges, etc. As far as books on shooting fundamentals, there are several listed that can help sold by Creedmore Sports, Champion Shooters Supply, etc.

Take a look at teaming up with some local shooters who shoot Service Rifle, Tactical/Practical (Steel), and Paper Punching matches. They will help you more than you can realize.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alpine,

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
Finally got to take out my new 6.5x284 Norma.

This is the first rifle I've ever tried a "barrel break in," and I only did it because the smith requested it.

Shot 5 on a 8x11 paper (not picture) to get on paper. Then shot 3 and cleaned, shot 3 and cleaned. Each time I let the barrel completely cool and made some little adjustments on the scope. It was an aim and shoot.

I shot 3 and had 3 left. Said "why not," and decided to shoot the last three in a group. Didn't let the barrel cool and didn't just aim and shoot.

This was the last 3 shells out of an off the shelf HSM box. Can't wait to do a little load development... Promising so far.

"At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons and magazines were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders." Department of Justice study conducted by Jeffrey Roth and Christopher Koper

Posts: 2339 | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Wow. That thing shoots terrible. Send it to me for proper disposal. Big Grin

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
md-lucky, looks like you have a shooter!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
I'm excited. This was just factory HSM ammo.

The chamber is a PTG cut throated for 140 bergers. I've got some 4831sc that I plan to give a shot. I know several people getting single digit ES with that combo. I know the 6.5x284 has a reputation as a barrel burner, but as a hunting rifle and rare occasion steel gun 800-900 rounds should last me many, many years.

"At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons and magazines were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders." Department of Justice study conducted by Jeffrey Roth and Christopher Koper

Posts: 2339 | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Got a chance to go shoot at my favorite range this afternoon (a friends place). Since I didn't feel that I did as well as I could of at yesterdays match, mostly rushing shots versus taking quality shots, I wanted to redeem myself.

My 6.5x47L was shooting quite well. Shot out to 1200-yards. There was virtually no wind out to 900-yards, but when I took a shot at 1000-yards, I missed the plate, and found a constant and consistant wind from 1000 to 1200-yards.

Good day, but after about 20-rounds, my eyes started to loose it. Had a hard time keeping my eyes focused because of all the snow and flat light. Shooting at white targets didn't help either.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:

Can someone point me to books, videos, DVDs, or anything I can study over the winter to acquire a decent scope, and then shooting fundamentals so I can hit the range with a good plan to get started? Thanks in advance...

Practical Shooter's Guide: A How-To Approach For Unconventional Firing Positions...
by Marcus Blanchard

https://www.amazon.com/Practic...id=1473272283&sr=8-1

George Carlin

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Snagged a stripped 700SA for $185. Seller claims new takeoff, and the pics look like it. No idea why someone has a receiver without a bolt, or how the hell you get new takeoff actions, but... I wasn't complaining. I'll pick up a 1 piece ptg bolt for it, and with blueprinting, a blank, and chamber/thread I'll be into a 223ackley for $1100. Hard to beat that.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Sweet, my 223AI is built on a 700 action with PTG bolt. Sent it off to Kampfelds and had a side bolt release and mini-M16 extractor installed.

George Carlin

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
Sweet, my 223AI is built on a 700 action with PTG bolt. Sent it off to Kampfelds and had a side bolt release and mini-M16 extractor installed.

I'd love an m16 extractor! How much did that cost you? Ptg only offers Remington and sako extractors on the 223 boltface..

As for side bolt release.. I considered it. But my smith wants $150 to do it, and this is REALLY a budget build for me, so.. I'll probably skip it. All the rest of the parts to complete it I already have laying around the house.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Side bolt release was $100, and mini-M16 extractor $120.

Since PTG wouldn't do the mini-M16 extractor. I ordered the bolt without extraction, and had them do the fluting on the bolt as if there was going to be a mini-M16 extractor.

George Carlin

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
All this .22 talk...

Does anyone make a decent bull barrel out-of-the-box bolt gun? Similar to say (dont puke in your mouth too much) a Remington 700 5R milspec?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
All this .22 talk...

Does anyone make a decent bull barrel out-of-the-box bolt gun? Similar to say (dont puke in your mouth too much) a Remington 700 5R milspec?

What's your budget?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:

Keep us updated on what you think of the turret options. I'm looking hard at the 2.3-18x56 version for a hunter build.

Been a little nuts lately but I finally got to unbox the new scope. The turret options are really pretty cool. The click function is in the turret, not simply using what's already in the scope. Nice positive clicks and easy to put on and take back off. Have the standard hash mark setup or can be custom configured BDC out to 500 yards. They can also be locked. I could probably get some pics up tomorrow night if it would help.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.armslist.com/posts/...fle--redfield-sights

jlemmy, fritz, entropy....here you go!

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:

Thanks, still on the fence with this one. Not sure if I want to start another project or go the Annie route. Need to do some research on their models and features.

Let me add a question if I may. Optics for a .22LR. I see some of you are using FFP scopes. I get the fact that it's consistent with their bigger brothers. Also makes sense as a trainer function. That said it would seem that a rimfire would be better suited to SFP and high magnification. It also wouldn't really require tons of adjustment range. Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated. Trying to come up with a plan.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jlemmy,

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:

Thanks, still on the fence with this one. Not sure if I want to start another project or go the Annie route. Need to do some research on their models and features.

Let me add a question if I may. Optics for a .22LR. I see some of you are using FFP scopes. I get the fact that it's consistent with their bigger brothers. Also makes sense as a trainer function. That said it would seem that a rimfire would be better suited to SFP and high magnification. It also wouldn't really require tons of adjustment range. Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated. Trying to come up with a plan.

Thanks on the scope turrets and pics would be nice. I like that there's a locking function for hunting.

I use a FFP on my 22 for some of the reasons you listed. It does take some adjustment range though. I'm using mine for positional training on steel and just trigger time out to 200 yards mostly. From a 50y zero 200 is 7.1 mil ,(similar drop as my 6 creedmoor at 1100 at my DA) adjustment. Start going further and you need a lot of adjustment. I like FFP for the wind holds because I don't need to be at a certain power. Wind really affects these and can be challenging so the wind holds vary wildly. Since the shooting I'm doing with it is similar to the other guns I feel FFP is best for me. It would just come down to what you are going to do with it.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I agree with the other guys.

My .223AI will be pretty much a duplicate of my competition gun, save for the action and caliber. Huber trigger, JAE chassis, and a Gen 2 Razor.

I want to practice with what I compete with, as do these guys.

I know you don't compete, so if you're solely looking to hone your trigger pulling skills, I would think you could put whatever type of glass on it that you prefer.

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
I'd simply use the rimfire to hone the trigger pulling skills. I can't imagine I'd shoot it past 200 yards. I wouldn't set it up as a smaller version of its bigger brothers. What I am considering is setting up my .223 as a trainer ( same stock and optic) then use that SFP optic on the rimfire. It's a lot to mull over and I appreciate the advice.

My apologies for the thread drift. Here are a few pics of my new carbine optic for Jelrod. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Sweet.

Thats a whole lot of hole patchin' and speed tape right there! Big Grin

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post