SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 63
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Really nice work on those targets, fritz!

Being a landowner is a lot more work than the big city apartment dwellers and GDC City street people understand, eh, wot?

Um, I've been cutting vines and Brazilian Pepper on my suburban lot with Ryobi 18V loppers, chain saw, hedge trimmer, string trimmer, leaf blower, etc. The temps have been as low as 69°F.

Hauling the BP, grapevine, oak branch, pine needle and tree&fire ant debris to the curb, and bags of potting soil back to my wife's new steel box gardens have left me coughing, sneezing, gasping for O2 and feeling like its my last trip in life, all weekend.

I did this after my postal match fiascos, but still. Smile

Sunday, I went to Homo Depot and splurged on a Ryboi 40V pole saw!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Pole saws are an awesome tool! I got my hands on one last year and cleared so many branches that the trees looked naked when I was done. I got rid of all kinds of low hangers that had been bothering me for years. Just remember what's underneath and that limbs have an annoying tendency to swing as they fall...I managed to crush the lid of my grill pretty good with a big one!

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it hanging up as the lifter clears the magazine tube, or is it at the point where it's trying to load the round into the chamber?

Tried cycling a few of the cowboy cartridges (at home before work) and it wouldn't hang up.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Tried cycling a few of the cowboy cartridges (at home before work) and it wouldn't hang up.

Hmmmm...that's odd. Maybe it was just having a bad day. Were you cycling it with the same speed and forcefulness as you were at the range running the drill? Mine can get picky about that too, with ammo it doesn't like.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Not sure.

I need to take a little more time, and try it more times with all three cartridge types.

Edit, 12/24/22: It's sporadically hanging up when the cartridge is on the lifter, try to move forward into the chamber.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas to you too, Richard!

It's frozen here, we've got family up from Florida and we're taking a make-up trip to Ohio mid-week because we had to forego our planned one this past weekend due to road conditions, so things are kinda crazy and I haven't had a chance to come up with anything. Do you want to pick the next one?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'll give it some thought.

Edit: This is hard.

Like a never-ending bad dream, my brain is fixated on a sort of 10 shot rifle turkey shoot at 100 yards.
You know, spray and pray that something goes in.

Because sometimes an unskilled shooter with a poor rifle can get hits when marksmen aren't. Wink

With Mini-14's, Ak's and such, any sights.

I suppose 92fstech, fritz and others would have to borrow one from a friend. Wink

I better keep working on ideas. If the weather is bad up there, we could do a 50 foot rifle or pistol match of some sort.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The weather actually improved drastically this week....we went from wind chill below -40 over the past weekend to mid 50s today, and a forecast of 61 for Tuesday. It's a muddy mess out there, but at least you won't get hypothermia stepping outside to take out the trash anymore. Like they say...if you don't like the weather in Indiana, wait 15 minutes!

I'm down for 100 yard rifle...I no longer have a Mini-14, and have never owned an AK, but we have plenty of milsurp options that could fit the bill. They're not as bad as that Mini was, but there's not much out there that is lol. Just off the top of my head, this sounds like a good fit for the chopped-down bastardized Krag.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OK, Ill try to find a suitable printable target.

Any irons or optic (Tasco, Leupold, March) is OK, budget or state of the art, but ideally
a somewhat less than 2 MOA rifle is the challenge I had in mind.

If precise/accurate rifles would be a better idea, How about anysight .22 rimfire, rested, at 50 or 100 yd/meters?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OK, improvise, adapt, overcome!

Two and a half separate matches. Enter any one, two or all three:

Unlimited practice sighters, but a declared ten shot match target.

Match 1: with this target for 50 yard precision any-sights, rested rimfire rifle at 50 yards:

https://targets4free.com/wp-co...and-Targets4Free.pdf.
The black circle is about 5 3/4" diameter when printed.

Match 2a: Any less than precision, any-sights, rested centerfire rifle at 100 yards. We used a printable B-8 for 100 yards a while back:

The black bull measures 5.5" diameter when printed.

https://targets4free.com/wp-co...-by-Targets4Free.pdf

Match 2b: If a less than precision rifle is not available for the 100 yard match, you can shoot this same target used for the 50yd rimfire match, 600yd reduced for 100 yard:

https://targets4free.com/wp-co...and-Targets4Free.pdf The black bull measures 5.75" diameter when printed.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I like it! I think we have some stuff that will work.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Drat! My gun club was/is/will be closed yesterday, today and tomorrow. Mad

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well that's dumb. Mine was open but I worked all weekend. Hoping to maybe get out tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Because sometimes an unskilled shooter with a poor rifle can get hits when he randomly dumps a case of ammo on a target marksmen aren't.

There, fixed it for you.

quote:
With Mini-14's, Ak's and such, any sights.
I suppose 92fstech, fritz and others would have to borrow one from a friend.

Friends don't let friends shoot a Mini-14....

Our ranch received 15" of snow last week, with a forecast of a few more inches in today's storm. Time will tell how shooting opportunities go.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Friends don't let friends shoot a Mini-14....

This very thread is what led me to get rid of my Mini, lol.

Noah and I shot the match today. For the .22 stage, we both used my new Ruger American Rimfire that I bought to use as a supressor host (for a supressor that I probably won't actually get to see until the end of the year). This was my first time shooting it outside (the indoor range is limited to 50ft), and I wasn't too impressed. I need to get it out again and try with different ammo. All I had today was Federal Automatch. I shot a 96, Noah shot an 88.

For the 2a match, Noah shot his Swedish M96/38 from 1902, and scored a 93.

I used my bubba'd, cut-down, sporterized Krag and managed a 98.

This rifle definitely meets the definition of "less than precision", lol. Check out that bubba'd front sight post mounted in a 1903 front sight base. I had to bend it about 20 degrees to the right to zero the windage, too. It's still more accurate than my Mini-14 ever was.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
we both used my new Ruger American Rimfire
This was my first time shooting it outside, and I wasn't too impressed.
I need to get it out again and try with different ammo. All I had today was Federal Automatch.

Try different ammo before making any decisions on your Ruger's accuracy. Federal Automatch is one step down from FGM 719, which isn't saying much for accuracy.

Automatch is a value-line supersonic round, meant to cycle finicky semi-auto firearms. It would be rare gun with which it produces tight groups.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I dug 12 different varieties out of my stash tonight...gonna give it another go tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
Understand that it might take 5-10 rounds with each change in rimfire ammo for the accuracy to stabilize.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Those are nice targets, Noah and 92fstech, especially the 100 yard centerfires with military surplus rifles!