SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Nice shootin' Fritz! Looks like that sets you up to pick the next one...what have you got for us?

Thanks guys, sometimes even the blind squirrel sometimes gets a nut.

My world continues to be a cluster. You are better at coming up with new challenges, so I'll let you pick the next match.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
ok, I'll see what I can come up with

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ok, Speed test this time with accuracy accountability. I think we've all got timers now, and some place that we're allowed to shoot at speed, correct? If not let me know and we can adapt this.

The venerable B8 will be the target (https://targets4free.com/wp-co...-by-Targets4Free.pdf).

We'll run this one with both centerfire handgun and centerfire rifle, 5 rounds each. 7 yards for the handgun, 25 yards for the rifle, starting from the low-ready. The goal is to see how fast you can put five rounds in the black. Shoot it as many times as you like, but only targets with all rounds in the black count (9-ring and in...no line burners on this one, they have to be completely in).

Your final score is the combined time of your fastest handgun and fastest rifle target, lowest combined time wins.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We got out to the range today...I still can't feel my fingers. 29 degrees with a west wind at 25mph gusting to 31mph for a wind chill of 15 degrees. Not only was it cold, but it kept blowing the stupid target backers around, but we managed to get it done between gusts.

We both used the 9mm AR so we could shoot on the pistol bay (it's got way more shelter from the wind than the rifle bay), and Noah used his new CZ75D Compact (of all the handguns in the world that's what he wanted...I think I'm raising a hipster, lol). We each shot it 4x with each gun. Noah's best clean runs were 5.16 on the handgun and 7.35 on the rifle for a total time of 12.51.

I used my off-duty P320 Carry with RMR and scored a 3.45 with the handgun and 4.74 with the rifle, for a total of 8.19.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OK.

Very nice work, Noah, and 92, nice pairs with the Sig

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that was a weird run...two pairs that were actually touching and then a fifth one that barely squeaked inside down to the left. Not sure what happened there, but it stayed in so I'll take it, lol.

Speed isn't my thing...I've been working on it, and while I'm still not quite where I want to be, it was encouraging to compare my times from today to some from earlier this year and at least see a bit of improvement.

posted Hide Post
The times seem fast to me. I also must review earlier matches for similar drills, as I don't recall details.

Ultimately, it comes down to whether my speed & accuracy mojo is working on any given day. This weekend probably won't work for me, but maybe the next one for a go at this drill.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The times seem fast to me.

Keep in mind this is from the low ready, not the holster. It wasn't all that quick.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I shot it this morning with .357 Magnum revolver and Marlin 1894 but didn't quality with the carbine. I'll have to try again.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I shot it this morning with .357 Magnum revolver and Marlin 1894 but didn't quality with the carbine. I'll have to try again.

Oh man...revolvers and lever guns. Now I have to go try that Big Grin!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The 1894 and I are not working well together. I'm failing to smoothly eject, load new cartridge on ramp and chamber, frequently requiring a second levering.

I thought it was me yesterday, but I'm being deliberate and forceful. It happened with .357 Magnum conical HP's and round-nosed .38 Spec cowboy loads yesterday, and with plated truncated cone .38's today.

I got a qualifying groups from the lever gun and with the revolver today,
before I ran out of targets.
A 9.76 and 9.59 seconds with the carbine and a 5.44 and 5.95 with the revolver today.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice work! That's a bummer that the 1894 wouldn't feed. Mine can be picky about SWCs, and the .357 is sometimes a little rough when I try to run .38s through it (and you can forget about full wadcutters!), but it's typically ok with conical-shaped bullets like what you were using. I ran mine with .357 XTPs today and it cycled smoothly. Is it hanging up as the lifter clears the magazine tube, or is it at the point where it's trying to load the round into the chamber?

I took mine out today along with a couple of J-Frames...my trust 640 and my 3" Model 60. I'll be darned if the 640 didn't beat the 60 by a significant margin (3.91 vs 5.58)...I think it's because the 3-dot nights sight are just quicker to acquire than the solid black blade. The levergun ran fine, but I just couldn't get myself to keep it on target. The fastest clean run I could produce was 8.39. I kept working at it trying to get faster, and managed to get down to about 6.5 seconds, but kept dropping a round...typically the first one after bringing the gun up to my shoulder from the low ready. Guess I need to spend some time practicing that.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'm not clear on the point of malfunction, I was racing against the timer. I think it was lever fully extended, new cartridge on the lifterand then trying to return the lever = hangup.

I'll have to try it when I can pay attention.

Here is my most exhiliarating and disappointing target with the .38's in the revolver. My best time, 5.11 seconds.

Smile

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Frown

Big Grin

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Oh man, that was a nice group! I hate it when that happens...4 nice and tight and then that 5th one comes along and ruins everything lol.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
its when your out of control faster than the speed of light lizard brain says, " Oh, look at that group, you're kicking ass, Master of the Universe!
And then, its "Gotcha, dumbass!"

I think Grand Master Bruce Gray teaches process oriented focus versus results oriented. Or, something very similar. Smile

I get the concept, need to get off my lazy ass and practice. Wall drill, bump drills, and thus and such.

Oh, rats, I have to work all week.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's exactly it! We have a six plate rack at the range....when I'm having a great run and just know I'm about to put up a personal best time, I'll always throw that 6th shot. I know it's mental...just can't stop it!

posted Hide Post
I printed a bunch of targets when I left the office on Saturday night. I pulled from the heavy paper tray, but didn't realize it was loaded with 3-hole punch paper. Oh well...

Bottom line -- 2.96 seconds with the Glock 17, 5.28 seconds with the Wilson AR9G == 8.24 seconds total.

For whatever reason the pistol went OK. 4th target for score. Started with a clean 3.73 second run, then just tried to push a little faster.

I wasn't as pleased with the carbine, as I just didn't seem to be sharp. Maybe late in the day, too much chainsaw work, low light, current phase of the moon.... 3rd run was clean at 5.78 seconds. The target for score was #9. Quite a few targets with 4 hits, with the 5th missing by an inch. Had 4.64 and 4.96 second targets with 4 in the black and the 5th shot straddling the black line.

In fading light, last run of the day was 4.51 seconds. Looked good as I walked towards the target, saw a bunch of near the center of the black. But wait--- crap, there's a 5th bullet hole pretty much right on top of the left center hole punch. Grrr.

I burned 3 tanks of fuel in the Stihl, cutting up 4 old blowdowns. Often rotten wood. Unpleasant in the breezy conditions. Sawdust -- not big chips -- flying everywhere, under my face visor, in my eyes & nose. Even had a light nosebleed when I got home, and eyes felt like crap. This was the first tree of the day, with the "best" wood.

We're still in the drought, and tomorrow's snowstorm is likely too wimpy to help. Yesterday I marked 5 newly-dying trees to be felled. The small one was maybe 14" in diameter. The others were in the 18-20 inch diameter. Oh yeah, and one big recent blowdown that is 24-26" diameter ballpark. Seems like I'm making no progress.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Fritz! Looks like you got in a full day's work beforehand, too. Hopefully you get enough snow to at least get some moisture in the ground. What do you do with all that old wood? I'm assuming you can't just burn it with conditions being so dry.

posted Hide Post
The old wood essentially gets thrown away -- we just drop it into erosion gullies on the land to rot. It's not obvious from that picture, but there is a shallow ravine behind the cut up logs -- essentially where the trees are growing. I rolled these logs into that ravine. This picture is at the very start of a gully, which gets deeper and more ugly as the land drops in elevation. In the long range rifle thread, I showed the very bottom of this gully -- where I have 20 t-posts sunk to hold steel targets. This was my post near the top of page 140 on that thread. I place the old wood at the "headwaters" of this gully to hopefully keep the lower portions of the gully from eroding even further.

It's unfortunate that so much wood is going to waste. Well, other than for attempted erosion control. I still have maybe 15-20 acres of forest to clean up from the 2019 winter storms. We currently don't have a good way to get a truck in that area due to multiple erosion gullies, so I must work on it by hand for now. Then its on to all the dead standing trees from the past year or two. I haven't kept track, but at least 75, maybe 100 trees.

The forecast is for 2-4 inches of snow. Given how dry & fluffy snow tends to be this time of year in Colorado, it won't provide much moisture.