SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
As long as I am on this thread, here's a quick range report from today with my Compact DuoTone.

The pistol ran perfectly in both DA and SA. I continue to be surprised at the lack of muzzle flip with this pistol. Weight? High hand hold? Low bore axis? Combination? I don't care as it results in a extremely fast second shots.

Yes, the DA trigger is very heavy, but I put 30 DA rounds into the heart of the target anyways.

I'll still keep bitching about the night sight issue, but wow, that pistol and my Sub are terrific shooters.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MusProd:

I believe you are way over-thinking this.

Not over thinking so much as trying to find out if the issue can be remedied and maybe solve issues reported by others. I have several thousand rounds of the Freedom Munitions 147 gr JHP ammo and almost all my other guns (CZs, SIGs, S&W M&P, S&W 1911, Israeli pistol & my other Sphinx SDP) shoot this ammo without fail. It is some of the most accurate ammo I have found and because it is so accurate I have been contemplating using it for my SD ammo. That is why I was thinking about swapping out top ends - to use this gun as my new carry gun.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rhart:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MusProd:

I believe you are way over-thinking this.

Not over thinking so much as trying to find out if the issue can be remedied and maybe solve issues reported by others. I have several thousand rounds of the Freedom Munitions 147 gr JHP ammo and all my other guns (CZs, SIGs, S&W M&P, S&W 1911, Israeli pistol & my other Sphinx SDP) shoot this ammo without fail. It is some of the most accurate ammo I have found and because it is so accurate I have been contemplating using it for my SD ammo. That is why I was thinking about swapping out top ends - to use this gun as my new carry gun.

OK, I understand now. However, if 200 rounds without failure is the criteria for reliable carry (it is mine, not necessarily universal or yours), it has already failed.

If you persist and find an answer, please let us know.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I swapped the top end from my first Sphinx Compact onto my new long-handled Sphinx Compact and then took it to the range. To my surprise I shot some of the best 5-shot groups I have ever shot with either Sphinx pistol. It must be the longer grip somehow. The pistol performed flawlessly in this configuration over a 200-round session shooting 115gr., 124 gr., and 147 gr. hollow points from Freedom Munitions and Perfecta Walmart 115 gr. ball ammo. The best groups were with 115 gr HP and 124 gr HP with the smallest group being with the 115 gr ammo (a little under 2.5" at 25-yards from a sand bag wrist support). I'm sure someone with better eyes could make it shoot better, but that is the 2nd best group I have shot lately with any pistol at that distance. Previous to this I was getting my best groups with the 147 gr HP ammo from Freedom.

posted Hide Post
The Freedom HPs are designed for accuracy, not to expand and be used for self defense.

Very good bullet though....

Posts: 37 | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
My DuoTone Compact is a terrifically accurate pistol in my hands, but I find the DA trigger pull in particular very heavy, as many people do. The SA is excellent with a very crisp break, but it is still a bit weighty for my intended use of the pistol.

I never intended to carry this all all steel pistol(my Subcompact is for that)as it is VERY heavy. It is great at the range with the combination of its excellent design, manufacture, and weight making muzzle flip minimal.

The one issue that I have with the pistol is its trigger weights. The trigger break, over-travel, reset, etc. are outstanding, but the weights are heavy.

I ordered the CGW spring set sent to my pistolsmith, and I took the pistol to his shop today. The current DA trigger is at 11.8 pounds, and the SA surprised me at 5.8 pounds. The SA feels lighter than that as it is so clean. The goal is to reduce the SA weight as low as possible while still having a safe to shoot range gun with reliable ignition.

The 'smith told me the CGW's spring set will alone reduce the DA weight as he has done one before. This is great, but not all that significant to me in what will be basically a bull's-eye gun. He hopes with the new springs and his 'smithing to get me a 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 pound SA pull. If he can do this, this pistol will compete with my X5-L1 for "one hole" honors" even with its shorter sight radius.

He gave me this exact weight trigger pull when he worked on my Springer SS 9mm Loaded, and he took a friend's totally crappy Browning 85% 1911 .22lr trigger to a really nice one.

Here's hoping. I'll post the results after the work is done and I have the pistol at the range.

It's a great pistol as it is, but I want something a little different for the range.

Just think, I didn't even bitch about no night sights for my carry Sub.

MP

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tjeffhughes:
The Freedom HPs are designed for accuracy, not to expand and be used for self defense.

So accuracy has no place in self defense?

Picture of siggers
posted Hide Post
Has anybody heard of a shortage of SDP subcompacts? The reason I ask, is because I ordered one from my LGS back on September 9th and the store owner said he keeps calling Kriss every few weeks and they tell him that they are waiting on a few parts from Switzerland and it should be any day now. I know the store owner pretty well and I don't think he would BS me. Thanks

"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless"

Posts: 690 | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm No Quitter
posted Hide Post
Exactly what model did you order?
I just talked to my guy at Kriss/Sphinx a few minutes ago -- he says No SUBCompact Alphas and no Threaded Barrel models --
but the Compact Alpha's are In Stock.
And The Duty models (compact with 17 round mags and grip) are In Stock in Black & Sand

They are doing inventory the next few days and will be doing No Invoicing and No Shipping out -- for the next few days.

I see where ONE of the Distribs that I also deal with has the Compact Alpha In Stock Now! Only 4 left In Stock there at that Distrib.

Could be some miscommunication somewhere.

Donna

Posts: 4083 | Location: Lauderdale , Mississippi | Registered: June 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rhart:
quote:
Originally posted by tjeffhughes:

So accuracy has no place in self defense?

Sure, but expansion is important too, and the Xtreme HP's that Freedom uses don't expand. Freedom states in the item description that the bullet is designed for target and match use, not self defense or LE usage.

Posts: 37 | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MississippiGal:
I just talked to my guy at Kriss/Sphinx a few minutes ago -- he says No SUBCompact Alphas and no Threaded Barrel models --
And The Duty models (compact with 17 round mags and grip) are In Stock in Black & Sand

They are doing inventory the next few days and will be doing No Invoicing and No Shipping out -- for the next few days.

I see where ONE of the Distribs that I also deal with has the Compact Alpha In Stock Now! Only 4 left In Stock there at that Distrib.

Donna

Hi Donna,

I was just on the Kriss website and I don't see where they are even listing the Compact Full stainless duotones for sale. Are any coming into the US still?

http://kriss-usa.com/shop/kriss

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm No Quitter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:

Donna

Hi Donna,

I was just on the Kriss website and I don't see where they are even listing the Compact Full stainless duotones for sale. Are any coming into the US still?

I will have to talk to Rob and see.

I will post again after I talk to him!

Best Wishes!

Happy New Year!
Donna

Posts: 4083 | Location: Lauderdale , Mississippi | Registered: June 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
quote:

Donna

I am a fanboy of the marque, but damn, what screwed up business practices!

Not shipping during "inventory" went out of practice decades ago. What, they don't know how to subtract what they shipped during the start of taking inventory from inventory on hand as is worldwide practice?

For those old enough, remember when the local dress shop would hang a sign on the door "Closed for Inventory" for a day? Ever see that at any company any longer?

How can a company not invoice due to "inventory"? Their controller should be shown the door for such horrid cash management.

There are lot of things in business and life that I might not know, but you NEVER, NEVER not invoice. Unreal.

Their out of stocks and vapor-products just add to the miserable picture. But they do make a good pistol. Do they make money, who knows?

MP

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:

Donna

Hi Donna,

I will check in with my contact to see if they are still in production.

Posts: 413 | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MusProd:
VWSig, no, that is a different pistol. It is not the S.S. DuoTone. This one has a steel slide, aluminum frame, and polymer grip as do nearly all SDP Compacts.

MP

I realized my mistake and corrected it. My contact just got back to me. They are still going to be making runs of the Dud-tones. They are still part of the product offering.

No ETA of the next run.

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WVsigP228:
quote:
VWSig, no, that is a different pistol. It is not the S.S. DuoTone. This one has a steel slide, aluminum frame, and polymer grip as do nearly all SDP Compacts.

MP

I realized my mistake and corrected it. My contact just got back to me. They are still going to be making runs of the Dud-tones. They are still part of the product offering.

No ETA of the next run.

When I saw that you changed your post, I deleted mine, or so I thought, so as not to be in conflict with your changed one.

I guess you caught mine before the delete went through, so there might be confusion for other readers.

I certainly hope they continue with the S.S. DuoTone, as it is a great pistol.

MP

posted Hide Post
quote:
When I saw that you changed your post, I deleted mine, or so I thought, so as not to be in conflict with your changed one.

I guess you caught mine before the delete went through, so there might be confusion for other readers.

I certainly hope they continue with the S.S. DuoTone, as it is a great pistol.

MP

I am being told that they will continue to produce them because I have not gotten mine yet.

I'm No Quitter
posted Hide Post
You guys got an Inside Source Ha Ha

I still have not heard back from my East Coast Rept!

Thanks,

Donna

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys got an Inside Source Ha Ha

I still have not heard back from my East Coast Rept!

Thanks,

Donna

Donna,

I lost my "inside source" when I e-mailed him again a few weeks ago about no night sights, and I never heard back from him.

I'm probably off of Kriss' X-Mas card list. Smile

It's still a great pistol.

MP

posted Hide Post
I am sure some of the members here are aware that CGW is no longer working on Sphinx pistols. Here is a link to the thread on the CZ forum where an explanation is offered. Interesting info:
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=75936.0

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post