SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    upcoming Springfield Armory P-35 Hi Power
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

upcoming Springfield Armory P-35 Hi Power Login/Join 
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
So I visited my LGS indoor range today and all I can say is that I was underwhelmed.

I only fired 50rds and function was 100%. Only complaint would be that the safety was easily bumped during recoil and I had to adjust my grip so my strong thumb stayed over the safety.

The front sight is small, and honestly instead of a white dot I'd almost rather have a plain black blade.

Here is a target with my first 5 rds out of the gun at 7yds.

It had more recoil than I expected, ammo as S&B 115gr FMJ's and like I said I only shot 50rds as you must buy the ammo from the range in their rental guns.

Overall it was an ok shooter but I probably won't be buying one. Prior to shooting it I thought the chances would be high that I would get one.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Did the gun bite your hand at all?

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There's no substitute for the original. Though the prices on FN/Browning High Powers are high, the good news is that there are decades worth of pistols out there to be had.

Posts: 107616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the honest range report!

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig what "underwhelmed" you ? It kind of looks nice, the group looks a little off center but tight, and i know 50 rounds is not alot but it worked 100%. what was the worst thing about it ? Was it just that the expectation turned out better than the actual product ??
I have my name on one at my local FFL (he says he has a huge batch coming in next week) but i am not committed to it. I will at least go and put it in my hand before i decide. Curious about your experience.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Were you underwhelmed by the Hi-Power in general or specifically the Springfield version. Do you have other Hi-Power experience?

Just curious as a level set.

Thanks
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did the gun bite your hand at all?

Nope.

quote:
Were you underwhelmed by the Hi-Power in general or specifically the Springfield version. Do you have other Hi-Power experience?

I owned a 1983ish Hi Power many years ago (over 20 years ago). I've also shot the FEG copies. While I did find it a better shooter than the FEG copies, I will agree with Para that there is no substitute for an original.

I don't recall my old one having this much recoil. Also the older one just felt better and shot dead on. All 50rds were high and right. The trigger seemed nice, very straightforward with no creep.

I can't quite put a finger on it but like i said, going in I thought I'd buy one if I found it in the $600 range but now I don't think so.

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I, too, appreciate the honest feedback, although it disappointing. Why do you think the recoil was harsh? Does it feel undersprung? I've never handled or shot a Hi-power before, but I like you would assume that an all-steel gun of that size would recoil very lightly.

What about the original felt better? The grip fit to the hand, quality of parts, tolerances, balance?

Just curious because I have my name in for one at my LGS and would like to know what to expect. Thanks for taking the time to try it out share your observations here!

Posts: 8575 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the range report. Disappointing. I'm glad I got mine back in 2017 or so for just under 1k. It has the most amazing trigger, The seller, a serious BHP fan/collector let me try several others for comparison. Of course, I put about $700 in upgrades and refinish, but it is, by far, my favorite handgun.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you think the recoil was harsh? Does it feel undersprung?

I'm not sure. I just expected less recoil from an all steel gun. I was thinking it would be like a Smith 659 or something. The recoil wasn't harsh in any way, just more than I expected.

quote:
What about the original felt better? The grip fit to the hand, quality of parts, tolerances, balance?

I would say balance more than anything else.

posted Hide Post
I always thought my BHP was soft shooting...until I went back to it after a lot of 2011 shooting.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to buy one November 4th, $699. I just happened to be at the gun store when the pistol was being logged in and I figured why not.

Posts: 580 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some crazy prices out there apparently

i'll be checking them out once the prices become a bit more reasonable

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a good looking gun. Looks nicer than my MkIII. (Yes I checked the box MkIII). And I dry fired it a bit. I’ve become a trigger aficionado over the years. Mine does not have a good trigger. At all.

Posts: 7508 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sigarmsp229, thanks for taking the time to share your observations. I'm still trying to get my hands on one to feel for myself, but it gives me some things to watch for. DrWho, have you shot yours yet? If so, what are your impressions of the gun?

Posts: 8575 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
The SA-35 will be $541 under the Individual Officer Purchase Program. A pretty good deal if you can find one and are eligible.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It'll be interesting to compare the new Girsan (Turkish) Hi-Power version that is being released.

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35/

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It looks like a Hi Power that doesn't have the mag disconnector pulled out, and that hammer looks like a hand biter.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
The SA-35 will be $541 under the Individual Officer Purchase Program. A pretty good deal if you can find one and are eligible.

You're kidding me.

My good sir, you just sold a couple of guns for Springfield. That's IOP P365/P320 money for a metal framed pistol.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:

You're kidding me.

My good sir, you just sold a couple of guns for Springfield. That's IOP P365/P320 money for a metal framed pistol.

Would be awesome...if Springfield had an authorized LE dealer in my state Frown.