SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Flork's Lubrication Recommendation
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flork's Lubrication Recommendation Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheEgg:
quote:
Wiping out the oil from the rail with a q-tip and reapplying some grease should only take all of 5 minutes ~ not an afternoon.

Two points:

1. You have never seen the inside of my gunsafe, right? Even if I can do it as fast as you say, 34 pistols X 5 minutes = 170 minutes = 2.83 hours. Seems to me that takes up most of a Sunday afternoon.
2. More importantly, it seemed to me to be a wonderful excuse to fondle work on some guns -- you don't want to rush something like that, you know! Wink

Here, here! An afternoon well spent! Alone with ones pistols! Smile

Posts: 996 | Registered: June 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EJO:
In 'greasing' the SP-2022 (ie. poly-frame and abbreviated slide rails)... what's recommended?... rails AND slide... just slide... rails?
Been doing BOTH, asssuming that shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks

I do the same thing where the rails exist on the SP. That way it get s planty of lube.

Sounds like you're doing it well enough.

Flork

------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
Scott @ Apex
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."
Leonard Novak - "Thee Gambler" (SASS)
------------------------------------------------

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

http://www.apextactical.com/bl...nternal-lubrication/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheEgg:
quote:
Wiping out the oil from the rail with a q-tip and reapplying some grease should only take all of 5 minutes ~ not an afternoon.

Two points:

1. You have never seen the inside of my gunsafe, right? Even if I can do it as fast as you say, 34 pistols X 5 minutes = 170 minutes = 2.83 hours. Seems to me that takes up most of a Sunday afternoon.
2. More importantly, it seemed to me to be a wonderful excuse to fondle work on some guns -- you don't want to rush something like that, you know! Wink

Hell I'd be right there with you on that one.

Scott @ Apex
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flork:
quote:
Originally posted by Red Baron:
Why is it my glock 17 never needs grease, and seems to fire dirty or clean, wet or dry?

You're joking right?

The most critical part of a Glock is the disconnector, the trigger had a large amount of surface area that rubs on the disconnector which requires grease to keep properly lubricated.

We've seen a Glock come in that was never lubed...the trigger bar and cisconnector were friction welded together due to lack of grease.

I am a Sig fan, just was always impressed with Glocks reliability under any condition. What your describing sounds like a longer term issue after several thousand rounds. Ill have to look into it, as i don't think I ever lubed the "disconector"

My G17 is my duty weapon, and I am impressed with it, never seen a single failure from me or anyone else in our dept. Sigs are still the best though.

Posts: 306 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:
My G17 is my duty weapon, and I am impressed with it, never seen a single failure from me or anyone else in our dept. Sigs are still the best though.

There are only a handful of points to grease on the GLOCK. I'll make a lube guide for those too.

Scott @ Apex

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There are only a handful of points to grease on the GLOCK. I'll make a lube guide for those too.

Thanks Flork

Posts: 306 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have a HK USP .45 Tactical and I'll bet it falls into a similar category as the Glock on the "points to lube"

Posts: 996 | Registered: June 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
For those of us that are visual learners, this is a big help. Thanks Flork

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a new Sig 226 owner I want to thank you for the great advice...I hope to get a lifetime of use out of my Equinox and with these tips I have a great foundation thanks again and look forward to more info regarding trigger ,etc lubrication

Posts: 82 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'd like to see what you come up with regarding lubing a Glock. I have a pretty good idea of what it will be but I wanna see your recommendation.

A while back a certified Glock armorer was at a local shop and I thought I'd take my older 2nd gen G22 in for the free inspection and parts upgrade.

Anyway, Knowing how Glock experts can be pretty staunch on using minimal lube, the night before I took it in, I cleaned it and removed all my tell-tale TW-25B from the insides and left it just slightly slick from a Breakfree soaked toothbrush.

The armorer upgraded my ejector and extractor (for free) then gave me a stern warning that he saw some grease residue in my slide rails (which I had obviously missed).

He told me: "NEVER Grease a Glock under any circumstances!"

Yeah, OK. I know it probably doesn't NEED grease, but there are a couple areas that I think even a Glock could use just a touch of grease. Mine is a .40 so I have some pretty obvious slide peening at the locking block area but it's never skipped a beat in countless thousands of rounds. I replaced the mag springs on my three primary mags (15 years of use and stored loaded) when one of the mags was inducing a last round jam. After that, never a problem. Great gun.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Flork, I'd love to hear your advice for oil points on a SIG - generally I put a drop of break-free on the hammer and wipe it around the entire mechanism with a q-tip. Any other areas you recommend?

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. I anxiously await your GLOCK report since I have heard a lot of different opinions

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SmokeJumper
posted Hide Post
Sneaking in later to the dance. Quick question.

TETRA-GUN-GREASE? The kid gave me six tubes, but I've never opened even one. ANY opinion of the stuff. I don't need to keep stuff I'll never use.

TETRA CLAIMS: Widest operating temperature range -100°F to 750°F
Bonds to metals; smoothes and protects
Reduces friction
Quick to apply, easy to use
Low Odor
Doesn't attract fouling
Won’t migrate
Excellent for use on rifle bolts, sears, locking lugs and semi-auto slide/rails. Apply light coating to metal surface. Buff dry for a debris-repelling, “glass-smooth” surface.

Buff dry for a debris-repelling, “glass-smooth” surface. scares me to heck. Especially after my "running it dry" issues on the P6.

Bless You Bruce & Flork. I lubed the P6(not with Tetra!) in the exact manner Bruce described on the phone and "whoosh", the Gold-Dot issues disappeared. It was, as Bruce said, "...a little DRY."

Don't Let The Smoke Get In Your Eyes.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: August 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been reading and comparing the strings on excessive rail ware on newer P239(.40) pistols compared to the 25 year old P6 German units. The (lightly used) P6 rails show no wear after 25 years. It seems to me that the P6, with folded slide,is under lower stress from the 9mm cartridge and has no "speed bump" on the top of the rail, so it has less need for a heavily greased rail than the P239. My conclusion is that the heavy grease application shown on your photos is recommended for the pistols using the stainless/nitride slide, especially the 40 and .357 loadings. For the 9mm P6 with the folded slide, it would be reasonable to use a lighter coat of grease for protection. Am I wrong?

Usage is estimated at 300-400 rounds /year.

Posts: 14 | Location: Illinois/Wisconsin | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokeJumper:
Sneaking in later to the dance. Quick question.

TETRA-GUN-GREASE? The kid gave me six tubes, but I've never opened even one. ANY opinion of the stuff. I don't need to keep stuff I'll never use.

TETRA CLAIMS: Widest operating temperature range -100°F to 750°F
Bonds to metals; smoothes and protects
Reduces friction
Quick to apply, easy to use
Low Odor
Doesn't attract fouling
Won’t migrate
Excellent for use on rifle bolts, sears, locking lugs and semi-auto slide/rails. Apply light coating to metal surface. Buff dry for a debris-repelling, “glass-smooth” surface.

Buff dry for a debris-repelling, “glass-smooth” surface. scares me to heck. Especially after my "running it dry" issues on the P6.

Bless You Bruce & Flork. I lubed the P6(not with Tetra!) in the exact manner Bruce described on the phone and "whoosh", the Gold-Dot issues disappeared. It was, as Bruce said, "...a little DRY."

I've used Tetra in the past, it's a decent lube, but I found it's not quite sticky enough. I'd consider it to be an ultra light grease.

Scott @ Apex

Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
I would not recommend Tetra grease. It has horrible corrosion resistance. A product marketed for firearms use should not promote rust!

Here is a link to my corrosion test using different greases (with pics)

Grease comparison

There are *MUCH* better choices than Tetra!

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Too good of a thread not to bring it back.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent post and information as usual Flork. I want to hear your internal lube recommendations also. I have always been one to heavily lube guns so we are on the same page.

For the past year I have been using Weaponshield CLP exclusively with great results-it really cleans, lubes, and protects from rust very well. I bought a one pound tub of the Weaponshield Grease for $19.99. Works very well and cost effective. Essentially it is Weaponshield blended with white lithium grease. Stays put, lubes very well, does not run or dry out, and works well in heat or cold. I like it due to its corrosion protection and total compatability with the Weaponshield CLP.

Glock, USA factory techs now recommend a small dab of grease can be placed under the connector-the one area of a Glock that should be lubbed. Though Glocks are designed to run on very minimal lube, another reason for this is to prevent excess oil finding its way into the firing pin channel. I am rethinking this and perhaps a small amount of grease on the rails would work well. I will try it. Bill.

HK, Glock, Walther and SIG are my choice in handguns.
Weapon Shield CLP for all pistol care.
It is a hell of a lot easier to get out of jail than it is to get out of the morgue...

Posts: 4405 | Location: Pgh, Pa. USA | Registered: April 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staple Gun Extraordinaire!
Picture of sig-x
posted Hide Post
I just purchased lite and medium slide glide from TGS. I live in MI and was wondering wich I should use durning th colder months?

What's a similar grease that's white or gray?

Can I just mix he two slide glides together?

Thanks!

Posts: 9949 | Location: SE MI | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VMAN
posted Hide Post
Does anyone use high temp wheel bearing grease? I was watching a video on youtube and the guy (James Yeager) from Tactical Response says that gun grease companies are basicly repackaging grease and marking it up.

Proper lubrication of auto pistol

Posts: 354 | Location: Savage, Minnesota | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post