SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Flork's Lubrication Recommendation
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flork's Lubrication Recommendation Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Living in Montana, shooting in zero degrees. I had no problems with the grease seizing up. I used a clear silicon based grease. Temp rated from 400 to minus 50. Normally used as a industrial valve lubricant.

Posts: 124 | Location: Montana | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO, way too much grease. It will catch dirt and even some flies! I give my Sig 226 slides a good line of White Lithium Grease from a Monoject. IMO, that is just the correct amount of grease. Mobile 1 for everything else.

Posts: 20 | Location: Tampa | Registered: January 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Presently Absent
posted Hide Post
great thread

Posts: 328 | Registered: November 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use TW-25B on my H&K, and i dont use anywhere near that amount. I'm not sure if/how a Sig manual differs from H&K on lube, but H&K only calls for light lube (at the most) on most parts.

KAC SR-15 Mod1
H&K MP5 SD .22
Sig P226r
H&K USP .40 Tac

Posts: 431 | Registered: November 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of doghandler
posted Hide Post
I tried this method. Too messy. Too dirty. Just a greasy mess.

I'm a Frog Luber now. My guns and knives are clean and lint free!

---------
I can hit the broad side of a barn if it's within range.

Posts: 99 | Registered: January 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Somewhere, out there...
posted Hide Post
I use a small amount of white lithium grease and then lightly oil over the grease. Some guys here mix the oil and grease to break down viscosity and get both the protection of the grease with the fluidity of the oil. I clean after every outing regardless how much I shoot which is usually 150 to 200 rounds. P226 S4.

Posts: 308 | Location: On the Beach in Charleston SC | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have particular recommendations for Sig's .22lr conversion kits?

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
A good oil, and be generous with it. I found that grease made things too sticky and slowed the slide to the point that you get lots of feeding failures. I switched to CLP or Rem-Oil (wipe the grease off first) and it works flawlessly.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have put 2,800+ rounds of .22 with no problems.
When I first got it, I racked the slide with heavy grease 400 or so times (no recoil spring), then did another 200+ with the recoil spring.

Wish I had done initially with the .40 S&W - took about 500 rounds to break in.

Really think the hand racking helped a lot.

Posts: 157 | Location: Southeast Louisiana | Registered: November 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, I only had 2 FTFeeds out of about 300 rounds or so the last time to the range (this past weekend) and I grease the crap out of my P229 22LR Non-Rail kit.

I use Lubriplate offered in the Classifieds by Sigem and fire the Federal Bulk Pack ammo from Wallyworld thru my kit. I've got 3,832 rounds thru it according to my tracking sheet Smile.

I also clean my guns of all grease and re-grease after EVERY range trip, regardless of rounds (40 rounds or 400 rounds).

James in Denver

quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
A good oil, and be generous with it. I found that grease made things too sticky and slowed the slide to the point that you get lots of feeding failures. I switched to CLP or Rem-Oil (wipe the grease off first) and it works flawlessly.

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:
Interestingly, I only had 2 FTFeeds out of about 300 rounds or so the last time to the range (this past weekend) and I grease the crap out of my P229 22LR Non-Rail kit.

I use Lubriplate offered in the Classifieds by Sigem and fire the Federal Bulk Pack ammo from Wallyworld thru my kit. I've got 3,832 rounds thru it according to my tracking sheet Smile.

I also clean my guns of all grease and re-grease after EVERY range trip, regardless of rounds (40 rounds or 400 rounds).

James in Denver

Thanks. I just bought a kit for my no-rail 229. I couldn't really find any specific recommendations online.

I also prefer to use grease only on my guns, slide glide medium in my case. And my ammo of choice is Federal bulk pack (the 36gr copper clad hp's), as my 617 likes it well enough and I bought a ridiculously large quantity on sale a while back. I also tend to wipe down and re-grease after every trip. Smile

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Archange1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flork:
Part 2 is up. Sorry for the crummy pics, my good camera is broken so I'm stuck with one that doesn't seem to like me.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7260081812

Part 2 is nowhere to be found - anybody have a better link?

Matthew

Posts: 165 | Location: NH | Registered: March 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I'm ordering Slide Glide Lite for my 220, 226,239 and 232. For my Wilson Professional I have been using Gun Butter.

Flork:
Posted October 11, 2010 10:15 AM Hide Post
In the case of well fitted slides like custom 1911s, there is no space for grease, so a good high quality gun grade oil is all you can use.

Is Gun Butter a good choice, Flork? Do you recommend something better?

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xxlalocuraxx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Archange1:
quote:
Part 2 is up. Sorry for the crummy pics, my good camera is broken so I'm stuck with one that doesn't seem to like me.

I believe there are only 2x links:

Internal Lubrication : http://www.apextactical.com/bl...ternal-lubrication/z

Rail Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

- Sig Sauer P226R, .40
- Sig Sauer Mosquito, .22

Posts: 9 | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
I had been using slide glide lite on everything when lubing my firearms.

But recently noticed excessive wear on my SIG rails. I ordered some of the thicker Slide glide (standard and heavy).
I was going to use the heavy formula but am wondering if Lubriplate or another grease would be better.
I am down to shiny silver on the underside of portions of the frame rails. I don't want it to get worse and it only has less than 1700 rnds...

any suggestions?

side note: The lite formula has worked great on all of my other firearms.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest you try this grease:

http://www.steelshieldtech.com...ned/Lithi-Shield.pdf

The Weapon shield oil is excellent also.

Posts: 41 | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I've been using Sinclair Bolt grease on all of my firearms (except the luger) for years. Any reason this won't work?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xxlalocuraxx:
quote:
Originally posted by Archange1:
quote:

I believe there are only 2x links:

Internal Lubrication : http://www.apextactical.com/bl...ternal-lubrication/z

Rail Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

The link around lubing internals still does not work.

Posts: 21 | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ukases:
Some guys here mix the oil and grease to break down viscosity and get both the protection of the grease with the fluidity of the oil.

I guess that's what Sig is trying to do by recommending Mil-Comm "ThinWatery-25Bucks". But why? I tried to like this stuff, since Sig itself recommends it, but just couldn't warm up to it. It's too thin for grease, too thick for oil. I prefer using both. I like the idea of grease for lubrication, and oil for cleaning (mostly, really it's not that clearcut a dichotomy).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Red Baron:
My G17 is my duty weapon, and I am impressed with it, never seen a single failure from me or anyone else in our dept. Sigs are still the best though.

There are only a handful of points to grease on the GLOCK. I'll make a lube guide for those too.

Did some searching but this is the closest I cam up with. Is there a write up around for how to lube a Glock?

Thanks!

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post