SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why Are There So Few (True) Glock 19 Competitors?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Are There So Few (True) Glock 19 Competitors? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The closest one is the P320 compact. But until the drop safety issue is definitively fixed, I don't know why anyone would buy one.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta PX4c?
SIG P250?

The Glock 19 is the Goldilocks size for an awful lot of CCW'ers.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Agree the P10c comes the closest.

Honestly I think the biggest advantage the Glock 19 has or really most Glocks is they have been used by a bazillion people ranging from civilian to LEO to Mil to secret squirrels etc etc and have a proven history of durability and reliability along with ease of maintaining along with huge parts support. It's these things that make it a juggernaut.

All the it's an ounce heavier, it holds a round or two less etc arguments are really just magazine racing imo.

Glocks are GREAT guns and are proven as such.

That being said like JJones said there are actually a ton of other choices out there.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The CZ P01 is another great G19 alternative.
After adding G10 grips to mine it feels like a single stack.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the first 19, S&W made it.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

It is also nearly as tall as a G17, when compared side to side (magazine in, of course). It does carry more like a G19, but I have to deal with the beaver tail and the butt of the grip.

That being said, it is somewhat unfair to compare hammerfired pistols to striker fired pistols. A hammer axle takes up too much vertical space (or it eats up grip space) compared to a striker mechanism. This leads to the ultimate compromise of having a taller pistol just to keep the same amount of grip space.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steyr M9A1, virtually the exact same dimensions, better ergonomics, better trigger. 15 or 17 Rd mags. Can have nightsightss if you prefer over the Trapizoidal original sights.

Problem solved.

Posts: 263 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yugo308guy:
Steyr M9A1, virtually the exact same dimensions, better ergonomics, better trigger. 15 or 17 Rd mags. Can have nightsightss if you prefer over the Triangle original sights.

Problem solved.

Those exist outside of Wikipedia? I've never seen one on a gun store shelf. Or in a holster. Or at the range. Must be a runaway success that flies off the shelves or just that good when it comes to concealing. : )

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
They really are great pistols and shoot well but ...... they don't have the market or marketing that Glock does.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I've never really understood the problem with that. Outside of a good holster and nightsights, which are available, if the firearm is solid, what else do you need? The rest is mostly superfluous.

Of course there is a huge aftermarket for Glocks, they need it! Razz

Posts: 263 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
So here's another idea to spur on some conversation. It seems there is a number of companies i
making compact guns that are on the largish side. Even the Steyr and P10c are really closer in size to the G17 than 19. Not a bad thing unless everyone is doing it. Something I heard a lot in high school.

Are there any big subcompacts? Yeah, I know that's an oxymoron like "Pretty Glock" but hear me out.
- 3.75" barrel
- 3 fingered grip without any gimmicky extensions. I don't want to touch the magazine with my right hand. Call me particular if you will.
- No finger grooves because seriously, who actually likes finger groves?
- 5" or less height. Because size matters.

Bueller? Bueller?.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The fact is the G19 has reached "AR15" status of the handgun world.

You can make a G19 without a single piece from Gaston Glock.

You can even make a "Ghost Glock" with a 80% receiver.

Is it perfect? No, but it's widespread acceptance as a standard to deviate from is hard to argue against.

And that size factor hasn't yet been matched, without sacrificing grip length or magazine capacity (often both).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glow:
quote:

It is also nearly as tall as a G17, when compared side to side (magazine in, of course). It does carry more like a G19, but I have to deal with the beaver tail and the butt of the grip.

That being said, it is somewhat unfair to compare hammerfired pistols to striker fired pistols. A hammer axle takes up too much vertical space (or it eats up grip space) compared to a striker mechanism. This leads to the ultimate compromise of having a taller pistol just to keep the same amount of grip space.

Not correct.
I'm sitting here looking at my P01 and G19 side by side and if anything the P01 is a bit shorter with a flush mag.
After carrying the G19 for 3 years and the P01 for the last year and a half I can say that the beavertail is not noticed while carrying.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
So here's another idea to spur on some conversation. It seems there is a number of companies i
making compact guns that are on the largish side. Even the Steyr and P10c are really closer in size to the G17 than 19. Not a bad thing unless everyone is doing it. Something I heard a lot in high school.

Are there any big subcompacts? Yeah, I know that's an oxymoron like "Pretty Glock" but hear me out.
- 3.75" barrel
- 3 fingered grip without any gimmicky extensions. I don't want to touch the magazine with my right hand. Call me particular if you will.

Bueller? Bueller?.

Here's your gun.
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p...ck-alloy-14-rd-mags/

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
what I fail to grasp is how no one can seem to match the capacity of glocks.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:

- 3.75" barrel

Bueller? Bueller?.

Here's your gun.
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p...ck-alloy-14-rd-mags/

That weighs half a pound more than a G19. One of my other hobbies is cycling. People will pay thousands of dollars to drop half a pound of weight from their road bike. How much is half a pound of weight from your belt worth?

And it's not the size I'm looking for. It feels closer to a P228 than a 19.

Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:

I don't mean to be rude but, who cares?

Have you ever heard of a defensive, non-LE use of a handgun where more than 10 rounds were used? I've read dozens of accounts of such uses and even seen a few videos. Seven or eight is about it. It's usually over in three or four shots.

Short of a prolonged firefight which is virtually unheard of outside of the military and law enforcement, there's no real need for 15 rounds. 10 or 12 would be more than sufficient if packaged appropriately in something that was easy to carry and easy to shoot.

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
Similarly, nothing will replace the G19 for me. but I've really come to love my Caracal F. it's *slightly* taller since it's a full sized gun, but the barrel is the same length. i did love the Caracal C back when it was available though.

I recant my previous statement. the Caracal F is definitely a full-size gun - it's taller than the G19 by about a good quarter of an inch. They're about the same overall length with the Beavertail on my G19, but the caracal does have a longer slide - despite barrels being the same length.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nor match their light weight. The combo of weight, capacity, and size remains unsurpassed.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Nor match their light weight. The combo of weight, capacity, and size remains unsurpassed.

The G19 is lighter than most subcompact guns. That's nuts.