SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What would you carry if you were elected sheriff?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you carry if you were elected sheriff? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
Like other have already said, I would carry the issued gun. For office/admin stuff, it would be carried in a special holster, belt, combo. Some sort of exotic hide.

I used to have a Kramer sharkskin vertical scabbard, mag pouch and belt for my off-duty P225. It would get worn on special occasions and for court appearances.

Agree on dept issue and +1 on the P225 for Church and other special occasions

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Wasn't his question what he should carry?

Perhaps I missed it, but, I don't recall seeing him solicit recommendations for re-equipping the entire force?

No it wasn’t.

The thread title clearly asks the question “What would YOU carry if you were elected Sheriff?”
Fair enough. Not certain that's much a distinction with a difference. Still: He did NOT ask "With what should I re-equip the entire force?", which was my main point.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
As to the whole 1911 thing, it would be the one gun I wouldn’t allow in circulation.
Of course you wouldn't.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
I’d go old school and carry a Beretta 92

no offense or insult intended, but if a Beretta 92 is old school, I am a fossil

1975 was almost 50 years ago.

Posts: 8150 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:

1975 was almost 50 years ago.

Ouch! Said as a man born in 1979.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^

I was carrying a S/W model 67 on the job in 1979. Now that is even more old school and fossilized... :-)

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
^^^

I was carrying a S/W model 67 on the job in 1979. Now that is even more old school and fossilized... :-)

Carrying an S&W Model 67 isn't old school. It's old school cool! Big Grin

I wish Smith & Wesson would make a Model 67 with a two inch barrel and Scandium Alloy Frame.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I like how you roll! In the mid-1970's when I first entered law enforcement, I carried an industrial hard chromed Colt Series 70 1911 in .45 ACP. Although I carried many other personally owned/department approved pistols until I retired in 2008, when I retired I was carrying a DLC treated Commander length barreled Nighthawk Custom GRPII in .45 ACP. It was and still is (IMHO) a good choice for an on-duty carry pistol, providing the carrier is proficient with it.

1977:

2008:

2022 minus the laser equipped grips and now toting a nice set of checkered blond cocobolo wood stocks by Esmeralda:

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10203 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
I would go with a nice 1911, and I'd be super tempted to carry a Colt peacemaker every once in a while.

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should carry what your Deputies carry, or a very similar pistol from the same series. If your guys carry G17s, you should carry a G19 or G26. If your guys carry a P226, maybe a P229 or P224 would be appropriate.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I like how you roll! In the mid-1970's when I first entered law enforcement, I carried an industrial hard chromed Colt Series 70 1911 in .45 ACP. Although I carried many other personally owned/department approved pistols until I retired in 2008, when I retired I was carrying a DLC treated Commander length barreled Nighthawk Custom GRPII in .45 ACP. It was and still is (IMHO) a good choice for an on-duty carry pistol, providing the carrier is proficient with it.

You have excellent taste my friend. I’ve actually thought about commissioning a pair of Wilson Commanders with light rails, one in Stainless and one in something like a DLC finish. I was thinking it would make a hell of a retirement present someday, but maybe it would be an excellent election present if I can pull off the election. I personally wouldn’t have a problem with my deputies carrying a 1911 as long as it met certain requirements, they were able to qualify at a higher than minimum level and subjected their equipment to at least quarterly inspections. I of course would gladly comply with the same rules.

In reality, this isn’t a huge organization, approximately 200 sworn members including corrections officers. The relatively small size of the organization would probably help to justify a policy that allows for some flexibility. With a large agency strict adherence to the same firearm is much more reasonable, but I think a smaller agency can much more easily exercise some variability.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:

Wow....the finish on that duty gun held up superbly well! My old P229, and even my first P320 that I only carried for a year are way rougher than that!

While I agree with the sentiment that the OP should carry what his guys carry when he's out on the road, I really don't think the troops would begrudge their boss carrying something fancy and meaningful in an administrative capacity, especially if he's proficient with it.

My chief is a gun guy and an excellent shot. Our quals often come down to a bit of a competition between him and me to see who can put up a tighter group, and I'm man enough to admit that occasionally he beats me. He's also done a bunch to improve our firearms program since he started....got us new handguns, then new rifles, and recently optic-equipped P320s.

He carries the same P320 that the rest of us do when he works the road, but he also has another gun. He retired from another agency before he came to ours, and spent a number of years over there working the in the DARE program. While he was there his partner DARE officer, who was long-serving and much respected in our local community, died of cancer. Chief got his issued gun, a P230SL, and purchased it when he retired from that agency to come to ours. He's qualified on it and still carries it pretty regularly on days when he's stuck in the office. It's a classy piece with a lot of sentimental value for him, and all of us think it's cool as heck.

Posts: 8585 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A Glock G20 loaded with the hottest hollowpoints I could find- Buffalo Bore, Underwood, what have you. Three spare 15 round magazines.

Also, I'd carry an M4-style carbine with two Maglinked 30 round Pmags loaded with Federal M193. I'd carry it everywhere.

Mess with the bull...

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A Glock G20 loaded with the hottest hollowpoints I could find- Buffalo Bore, Underwood, what have you. Three spare 15 round magazines.

Also, I'd carry an M4-style carbine with two Maglinked 30 round Pmags loaded with Federal M193. I'd carry it everywhere.

Mess with the bull...

You sir are not a man to be messed with! While I figured your first choice would be something in 9mm, I definitely am a fan of the 10mm as well. I could totally see you having a tag line under your “Sheriff Para” plaque saying something to the effect of “9mm kills the body, but 10mm kills the soul - mess around and find out!”

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Also, I'd get me one of those Gerald Hege "Spider Cars"

'cause you can never be rednecky enough...

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Cool thread and best wishes to LtCheg with the election.

I like the idea of using the same as the officers when on regular duty and having something special for special meetings and ceremonies. Lots of great suggestions in this but I’d lean toward one of the high end 92s.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I would stick with whatever department issue the deputies had for handguns and make sure department had carbines for everyone and myself.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Another thing I’ve thought of is that I want everyone on patrol to have access to an AR15 and a shotgun. I still think there’s a place for the shotgun, outside of less lethal rounds, especially in the more rural areas for humanely dispatching animals. And as far as shotguns go, I love the 870, it is ubiquitous after all. However, I would want to switch to semi auto shotguns for patrol use. On the range, I’ve seen far more times than I can count a non “gun guy” damn near bend the trigger of an 870 trying to get another shot down range before they think and remember to operate the pump. People use semi auto pistols or even double action revolvers primarily where all they have to do is pull the trigger for the next round to fire. I think shotguns should be the same way, especially now that we have quality, reliable shotgun options. Leave the 870s for less lethal options, but I would want my deputies carrying Benellis with full power buckshot loaded and slugs available on a shell carrier.

posted Hide Post
My shotgun would be the Mossberg 590a1 and my pistol would be a Sig P226. Both solid work horses.
The Sig holds 18 plus 1 and will last forever. Mossbergs are more user friendly with top safety and well proven design.

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 29, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Rifle: Colt 6920 or Ruger Mini-14.
Pistol: GLOCK 19 or SIG P226.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
You should carry what the deputies are issued.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post