SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 609 610 611 612 613 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Was looking for another G47 as a backup, but nada. However, they had this pristine G17 Gen 6


That G17 Gen 6 is the G47 Gen 6... They made the 47 into the new 17, and dropped the old style 17 and the now redundant 47 model.
 
Posts: 35543 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I realize that. I still would prefer to have an identical G47 as backup. Especially if they become even more difficult to obtain.
 
Posts: 2411 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The Gen 6 17 is the "same" as the Gen 4 47 on paper, but I am hearing that the recoil impulse between the two is different enough because of how they're sprung that it's not "the same gun". Guys who were big fans of the 47 are apparently discovering that they really like the Gen 6 45.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19307 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Guys who were big fans of the 47 are apparently discovering that they really like the Gen 6 45.
Why are fans of the G47.5 becoming fans of the G45.6 instead of the G17.6? Confused
 
Posts: 3838 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Guys who were big fans of the 47 are apparently discovering that they really like the Gen 6 45.
Why are fans of the G47.5 becoming fans of the G45.6 instead of the G17.6? Confused


When competition guys figured out that the 47 cycled faster than the 17 and 34, but softer than the 45, it quickly became a fan favorite as a kind of happy middle ground. The recoil impulse on all the Gen 6 guns across the board is softer compared to the Gen 5's, and so what was a bit of a Goldilocks feel in the Gen 5 iteration in terms of recoil impulse and how fast the gun cycled has become just a bit more sluggish in the Gen 6 17. The guys who liked and got used to that fast cycling feel, but didn't appreciate the Gen 5 45 feeling somewhat snappy in comparison are finding that the Gen 6 iteration is just a little bit softer, so it's somewhat closer to the feel they like in the Gen 5 47.

I haven't gotten to shoot a Gen 6 17 yet, so I can't really speak to that personally, it's just what I'm hearing. I did get to compare the full Gen 5 9mm lineup from the 19 to the 17L and everything in between last year, and found that I liked the 45 the best, and the 47 nearly as much. One of the reasons I got rid of my Gen 5 17 is that it just felt sluggish to me in terms of how it cycled. I shoot some USPSA matches with it and found that I just did better with the 45. I didn't get deep enough into the gun games stuff that I could start throwing split times and percentages of difference at you, but I could feel the difference. I did shoot a match with a friend's 47, and liked it a lot and felt what the G47 fans like about it. I get it.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19307 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
So I got to try out the 15 round flush fit magazine from the Derya 43x clone in a genuine Glock 43x. I ran it several times and never had an issue. I couldn’t tell any difference between it and the real deal.


The Derya mag should be used with a metal magazine release, as it will chew up a factory Glock plastic release in the standard G43X.


______________________________________________________
Often times a very small man can cast a very large shadow
 
Posts: 6843 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
The recoil impulse on all the Gen 6 guns across the board is softer compared to the Gen 5's
I thought the Gen4/5 dual-captured recoil spring assembly was supposed to reduce the snappiness better than a single spring. That's why I don't get why Glock went back to a single spring for Gen6.
 
Posts: 3838 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
The recoil impulse on all the Gen 6 guns across the board is softer compared to the Gen 5's
I thought the Gen4/5 dual-captured recoil spring assembly was supposed to reduce the snappiness better than a single spring. That's why I don't get why Glock went back to a single spring for Gen6.


I’ve not shot a single Gen 6 gun but I have the same thought in my head. Not that any Glock has had a ton of recoil except maybe the G27 and early 23’s but I also find it strange they went back to this style of RSA for anything but cost/complexity.

NOTE-THE IDJIT WHO POSTED THIS DOES NOT HAVE THE SKILL OR TALENT TO LIKELY REALLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE OR MAKE ANY USE OF THOSE DIFFERENCES. SO PLEASE TAKE SAID IDJITS OPINION WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8802 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
The recoil impulse on all the Gen 6 guns across the board is softer compared to the Gen 5's
I thought the Gen4/5 dual-captured recoil spring assembly was supposed to reduce the snappiness better than a single spring. That's why I don't get why Glock went back to a single spring for Gen6.


The dual recoil spring was replaced by the single spring for several reasons; the 9mm doesn’t require it insomuch as the .40 made it necessary, it’s simpler to manufacture and therefore less expensive.
 
Posts: 719 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I take Glock going back to the older style RSA as a tacit admission that they’ve been over springing these guys since the Gen 4. Yes, ease of manufacture and .40/.357 and all that, but also, just not best practice.

As for the difference between the Gen 5 and 6 guns in the 45/47/17, I did some shooting last night with a friend who has a 47. We did an A/B/C/D test of a 19X MOS, 45, 47, and Gen 6 45 with the express intention of trying to notice the differences in the recoil impulse. Same ammo throughout. The 19X has a 15lb aftermarket spring in it to cycle with a boosterless suppressor, so it’s under sprung compared to the 45. The 45, 47, and Gen 6 are all stock otherwise. All four have comparable optics on them. There’s a definitely difference in feel between all four guns, but it’s fairly subtle. I can see competition guys trying to shave down hundredths or thousandths of a second off their split times really caring, but for most guys, it probably doesn’t matter.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19307 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sw4566:

it’s simpler to manufacture and therefore less expensive.


They are also about as reliable as it gets. Over the years, I've put a ton of rounds through a couple of Gen3 34s and Gen3 17s and never had a single issue with one breaking.


Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

 
Posts: 5675 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I take Glock going back to the older style RSA as a tacit admission that they’ve been over springing these guys since the Gen 4. Yes, ease of manufacture and .40/.357 and all that, but also, just not best practice.


Also remember that the Gen3 22 developed an issue (or always had) when you attached a WML to it.

The G22 at the time was the bread and butter of their LE market. Today, you’re hard pressed to find an agency packing .40s. They are still there (county school police just bought new .40s because “stopping power”). But, it’s a 9mm world we live in.

If I also remember correctly some of the early Gen4 9mm guns had issues that required a different recoil spring assembly that came out after a while.


________________
People hate you. Train like it.



 
Posts: 38702 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
True, I forgot all about the Gen 3 22 debacle. I still have one and keep meaning to get a 9mm conversion barrel for it. Kept it because of the 9mm scarcity thing in years past and still have several cases of duty loads for it. But yes, the need for those heavier recoil springs has passed. I think the return to some lighter springs for the Gen 6 is finitely a welcome move.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19307 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I personally like the recoil impulse of the G6 17. Over 7k down the pipe so far and about 15 matches.


________________
People hate you. Train like it.



 
Posts: 38702 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I hope to visit my LGS tomorrow as I've got the hots to see/fondle a Gen 6. I have one 19, gen 5, near perfect condition, and will try to trade it in on a Gen 6. I really don't need a full sized Glock since the new Magpul 15 rounders for the 43X have arrived, but I do like to keep one full sized Glock "just in case." In case of what I have no idea, but just in case of something.

Bob
 
Posts: 1871 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I personally like the recoil impulse of the G6 17. Over 7k down the pipe so far and about 15 matches.


Yeah, I keep seeing good things about it. Haven't gotten to shoot one yet. My friend who has the 47 wants a G6 17 COA in the worst way. I'm really liking the G6 45 COA, and last night had me wondering if really need to keep the Gen 5.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19307 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randyman:
I have owned 8 Glocks(17,21,22,23,24,31,34,35) over the last twenty-five years. I have sold them all over the last three years. Then, the seller's remorse set in! I just picked up a NIB G22, gen 3, and immediately bought 9mm and .357 conversion barrels. I'll be holding on to this one for some time!


I also just picked up a Gen4 Glock 23. I immediately grabbed a 9mm conversion barrel and a .357 Sig barrel for this one. I hope to get both of these to the range this week and test the two pistols in all three calibers.
 
Posts: 523 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Any news on when is Glock going to release metal magazines for the G42 and G43?


Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

 
Posts: 5675 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
The Gen 6 17 is the "same" as the Gen 4 47 on paper


A Gen 4 Glock 47 doesn't exist. Razz


Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

 
Posts: 5675 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, typo.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19307 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 ... 609 610 611 612 613  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock

© SIGforum 2026