SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
All gun makers, SIG very much included, build guns to a price point. Because of this, unless we're talking $2000+ custom guns, the manufacturers are going to look for places where they can squeeze cost out of the guns. MIM is a clear example of this. It's cheaper to manufacture complex small parts this way, so nearly all mainline gun manufacturers (ie not custom manufacturers), are using MIM parts.

Maybe someone doesn't like MIM. Maybe they don't want to spend $2K on a custom gun (and given the overwhelming affinity of the custom world to 1911s, maybe they don't want that platform._ Maybe they're willing to throw a few
hundred bucks at a gun to replace key MIM parts with machined forgings. Why shouldn't they? This is just one example of why the Glock aftermarket is very useful.

And another thing. I see nothing about current production SIG guns that suggest they're any higher quality than Glocks. Their main line guns still use an outdated, inferior aluminum alloy frame design, which has the addition negative effect of making them more expensive to produce. I don't see any reason SIG should have a price premium over Glock from a functional standpoint.

quote:
Originally posted by rgrad80:
Glocktard= guy who buys a Honda accord and spends $7,000 on "rims" $3,000 on a sound system, $5,000 on carbon fiber parts, $3,000 on a fin thing that goes on the back...and says "my car is just as good as a" ".

You should have just got the better car retard.

Same thing with Glock. One of the reasons people LOVE Glocks is because you can get soo many after market parts for it to make the gun run right/ the way you want. By the time you are done spending a crap load of money getting the Glock to work like you want...you probably spent more than if you would have just bought a real gun.

I own a Glock 23 and it's great...for what it is....a stock Honda Accord I'm going to keep stock and put a shit load of miles on, but to say it's "just as good as a Sig" is just ignorant.

P.S. When I bought my 229, it came with 2 mags...and I could get ALL the rounds in the mags without having to "break in the mags" like I have to with the Glock. Not that it's a big deal, but it is funny.

Proud Glock owner.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I love my 5” 1911s and carry them most days. I love my Colts. I like my Ruger single-action revolvers. I appreciate my S&W double-action revolvers. My Sig P938 is a sweet little pocket BUG.

I have a Glock G20 SF 10mm for the caliber, the fifteen plus one capacity, and the reliability. If for some reason, I could only keep one handgun, it would be the Glock G20 SF. I have owned a G20 since 1992. The 10mm is my favorite semi-auto handgun caliber. I carry the Glock in remote rural areas where cougar, black bear, coyote, wolf, or rabid animal encounters are a potential.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting handguns for over 22 years now. I probably average between 8-10,000 rounds a year between training and the range.

My opinions are definitely not more valid than anyone else's, but they are based on my personal experiences while shooting.

If you love your Glocks, that is great, but making them out to be the god of guns is silly.

I've only had my 229 for a few months, shot about 3,000 rounds through it now, and love it. I bought a Glock, put about 500 rounds through it, and to me it's clearly not on the same playing field as the sig.

I also have a Walther P99 I wouldn't trade for a Glock.

Who knows, maybe after a few thousand more rounds my opinion of the Glock will change.

Posts: 142 | Location: Oregon | Registered: May 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been shooting handguns for over 22 years now. I probably average between 8-10,000 rounds a year between training and the range.

My opinions are definitely not more valid than anyone else's, but they are based on my personal experiences while shooting.

If you love your Glocks, that is great, but making them out to be the god of guns is silly.

I've only had my 229 for a few months, shot about 3,000 rounds through it now, and love it. I bought a Glock, put about 500 rounds through it, and to me it's clearly not on the same playing field as the sig.

I also have a Walther P99 I wouldn't trade for a Glock.

Who knows, maybe after a few thousand more rounds my opinion of the Glock will change.

I like my W. German P226 the best of any gun I owned and I've owned A LOT of handguns, over 200 different models. But I cherish this old P226 and don't consider it disposable as I do my Glock 19.

So for pure practical use as a SD pistol I have two dedicated G19's. Actually have 3 but one is a Gen 4 and I like it so it's not as disposable as my two Gen 3's.

For a purely practical SD gun that you won't cry over I believe Glock to fill that role very well.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why don't you lighten up? This thread isn't in need of your lecture.

Ridiculous

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Finally found a new 30s after looking for a few months. Got rid of a 30 years ago but really like my 36. Anyway, put some Ameriglo sights on it, talon grip, .25 trigger job, found some 9 round mags and went to the range. 300 rounds of various FMJs and JHPs without an issue. Consistent 3" groups @ 15 yards (that's good for an old man) and I'm a happy camper.

I'm fortunate enough to own many Sigs, Walthers, HKs, etc......but my carry, car and bedside table guns are Glocks. IME they always fire when when you pull the trigger.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of feedramp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rgrad80: Who knows, maybe after a few thousand more rounds my opinion of the Glock will change.

It will.

As mine did.

Posts: 3616 | Registered: July 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feedramp:
quote:
Originally posted by rgrad80: Who knows, maybe after a few thousand more rounds my opinion of the Glock will change.

It will.

As mine did.

personally, I think it was the carrying of the glock that convinced me. I could shoot it as good as any gun - with a little practice of course. But a glock on the hip just works better for me than any other gun I've tried.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
quote:
Originally posted by feedramp:
quote:

It will.

As mine did.

personally, I think it was the carrying of the glock that convinced me. I could shoot it as good as any gun - with a little practice of course. But a glock on the hip just works better for me than any other gun I've tried.

I agree with you both. I bought my first Glock as a range toy and because I felt it was time to own a Glock 19. At the time I was carrying a Sig P228 that I thought would be on my hip until I died. Within a few weeks it was replaced by the Glock 19 and I had bought a Glock 26 to back that up. I just found I could shoot the 19 better and faster and the reduced weight was surprisingly noticeable.

Now I have two Glock 19s and I just put a 42 on layaway today that I will pick up this weekend. I've also decided I want a Glock 17 as well as a dedicated HD gun.

Honestly I never thought I would want a Glock. The only polymer gun I had owned was a HK USPc and I didn't like it much. I prefer the looks and feel of wood and steel over plastic. But there is no denying the performance, reliability and simplicity of the Glock IMO and for SD purposes that is what I care about more than anything.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TikritTourist
posted Hide Post
Um......this thread has me brainwashed!
Yes I will, buy yet another Glock...
A new G41 placed on lay away today!
Long slide awesomeness in 45ACP!

Full report and pics to follow......
And I will quit reading this thread!!

Tomorrow’s battle is won during today’s practice.
- Samurai maxim

Posts: 753 | Location: Northeast US | Registered: August 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far I have eight of them! Here's what I like about my Glocks:

-simple manual of arms
-excellent reliability . They almost always go bang when I pull the trigger
-extremely rugged. Resistant to rust, scratches, etc...
-high value. I can buy close to two Glocks for the price of 1 classic p series Sig (with my GSSF discount I pay $375 for most Glocks). I have Glocks in different rooms of my house, in my car, in my hiking backpack, bug out bag, etc...
-long life. There are people who've put hundreds of thousands of rounds through their Glocks.
-light weight. I have a concealed weapons permit and can easily carry my Sub-compact (g27) and compact (g23) Glocks.
-magazine capacity! I have 33 round 9mm magazines, 22 round 40 caliber magazines, and 25 round (Kriss Vector) 45 caliber magazines.
-magazine interchangeability. I can use double stack magazines from a full sized Glock in compact and subcompact Glocks that accept double stack magazines.

I also like Sigs. I have a 40 caliber p226 elite stainless that is one of my favorite guns! The extra weight of the all steel gun really tames the recoil of the 40 caliber round. To me the recoil of the 40 p226 stainless feels a little less than the recoil of a 9mm Glock. That's pretty good!

Here are the Glocks I own (listed in order of my preference):

1 Gen 4 G17 / 2 Gen 3 G17s
1 Gen 4 G20
1 Gen 4 G21
1 Gen 4 G27
1 Gen 4 G23
1 Gen 4 G22

The 40 caliber Glocks are my least favorite. I find them to be a bit snappy. I prefer a heavier gun like the stainless p226 in 40.

The G20 is probably the most versatile gun I own. I use it for back country hiking, camping, and range use. I also have a 40 caliber conversion barrel. The big heavy slide of the g20 helps tame the recoil of the 40 caliber. In 40 caliber the g20 recoil feels similar to a g17 in 9mm.

Glock has some stiff competition now with other companies offering polymer frame striker fired pistols (M&P, XDs, Sig, etc...). They need to keep innovating and improving their products.
I took an advanced pistol class from Chris Cerino this year. Chris is an amazing shooter. He's so good it's scary. He was shooting an M&P pistol with an Apex trigger. Chris prefers M&P pistols with Apex triggers over Glocks. I handled the gun and in some ways it seemed like the ergonomics were a refinement / improvement over Glocks.

I've invested a lot of money in the Glock magazines. I live in Colorado where it is now illegal to purchase magazines that hold more than 15 rounds (since July 1st 2013). This means I'll probably never own a full sized 9mm M&P or XD. I'd love to try these guns. They may be just as good if not better than Glock but I can't legally buy the standard capacity magazines for these guns.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: focodude,

Posts: 49 | Registered: May 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TikritTourist
posted Hide Post
Picked up a new G41 today!
Starting a separate thread for the G41, but here is a teaser pic...

Tomorrow’s battle is won during today’s practice.
- Samurai maxim

Posts: 753 | Location: Northeast US | Registered: August 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I picked up my Gen 2.5 G33 today..

Is it a 357sig?

Is it a 40cal?

No, it is both, with my stock G27 barrel I bought on eBay for $80..... Big Grin

A perfect match with my Gen 2.5 G26.............

Although I'm contemplating getting the G33 slide and barrel refinished in Nickel boron, similar to the pic below..
Not sure yet....Confused

The mag family grows...... Cool

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
What did you use for the white coloring on the mags?

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
1 Lowlife Nice 33/26... Congrats.

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RANGER20:
1 Lowlife Nice 33/26... Congrats.

Thanks RANGER..
I think I'm done buying guns for the year...Wink
Unless I find a nice Gen 1 G19 or really good deal on another Gen 2 G19.. Eek

quote:
Originally posted by indigoss:
What did you use for the white coloring on the mags?

I used enamel nail polish (any would do), non-acetone nail polish remover, q-tips, toothpicks, and a paper towel.

Clean the area with rubbing alcohol (or the polish remover) to remove any gun oils.
Dip your toothpick in the polish, but not too much, and work the polish into the etching.

After about 10 or more minutes, dip your q-tip into the polish remover, dab in on your paper towel so it isn't dripping wet.
Rub the area with the q-tip rolling the q-tip in your fingers as to wipe up the excess polish.
It usually takes a couple q-tips to remove it all cleanly.

Go over the area with a clean dipped q-tips to remove all residue, and you should end up with this...
If not, just go over it again..

With 8 different Glocks, many the same size, it is so much easier to see what mag is what caliber at a glance... Big Grin

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Hey, much obliged for that mag color-fill step-by-step - I like it!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Color-fill, thanks.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Glad I bought a Glock, in many ways thanks to this thread and ones like it. These pistols have been the absolute easiest-to-shoot-well for me of anything I've tried thus far.

Recent range-trip results from both my new Gen4 17 (bottom group) and a rented Gen4 26 (top) I was trying out for comparison...both pistols being fired for my first time for these respective models...7 yards:

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Good groups TFR.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post