SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My next Glock, a Gen.II Glock 17 with all the trappings in the photo. I am swapping my S&W #3913, holster, five mags for it. It will most likely be next Monday before it ships to me, as that is the earliest I can get my #3913 shipped out.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been using my Dept issue Glock for the last 10 years. I owned their compact 45 when it first came out & traded it in less than a year.

The Glock is a Chief's dream which is why they are so popular in LE. They are relatively inexpensive, require little maint, passably accurate, and any range officer worth his salt can teach a chimp to qualify with one in a couple hours. They are one of the most popular criminal's weapons for the same reasons...

They are also ugly and have the soul & lines of a hammer. Any grade school drop out gang banger can operate one with no instruction. I found absolutely no pride in owning the one I had for the short time I owned it, and if someone gave me one I would trade it in on something worthwhile.

In short, I hate them.

"Said I didn't have much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use one"

Posts: 131 | Registered: June 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NDT:
In short, I hate them.
I can sense your hesitancy.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Been using my Dept issue Glock for the last 10 years. I owned their compact 45 when it first came out & traded it in less than a year.

The Glock is a Chief's dream which is why they are so popular in LE. They are relatively inexpensive, require little maint, passably accurate, and any range officer worth his salt can teach a chimp to qualify with one in a couple hours. They are one of the most popular criminal's weapons for the same reasons...

They are also ugly and have the soul & lines of a hammer. Any grade school drop out gang banger can operate one with no instruction. I found absolutely no pride in owning the one I had for the short time I owned it, and if someone gave me one I would trade it in on something worthwhile.

In short, I hate them.

LOL.......This is some entertaining shiznit ! Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
Sounds as though he might like to have all 37,000 NYPD officers carrying Colt 1911s in Condition 1 with a 3 1/2 lb trigger. Hee-YAH!!! Now there's some liability for ya!

SIGnature: Jere

Posts: 1369 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colo. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are also ugly and have the soul & lines of a hammer.

Why do you hate hammers? I have several and they are my second favorite tool... Big Grin

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of naviwilliams
posted Hide Post
I have been 'Glock-i-fied'...

Received my Glock 19 4th Gen today Smile

------------------------------
I'm new to this World of firearms, but, I bought a Glock 19, 4th Gen, with some Winchester ammo Smile

Posts: 48 | Location: Kennesaw | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MHolland
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any grade school drop out gang banger can operate one with no instruction

Tell me, What pistol does this NOT apply to?

Posts: 3317 | Location: SC Lowcountry | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Do you have a problem with carrying you issue Glock on duty? Would you feel safer with anything else?

quote:

In short, I hate them.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:

In short, I hate them.

I don't choose a gun for my protection based on pride. If I have to shoot someone I doubt they will hesitate to admire a nice shiny pistol. Glocks are ugly, simple, inexpensive and reliable as hell. That's why I love them.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a LNIB Gen 3 G23 with 3 magazines for $350 plus tax.

My second Glock.

I can share the same sentiments with some people who hate Glocks, but for some reason I keep coming back to them.

Some days I share the same sentiments that any asshat gangbanger can carry one. Other days I love the simplicity and the combat proven reliability.

I don't know, it depends on what kind of mood I am in, but I sure know my second Glock isn't my last one. Plan on going Full Size and Compensated soon.

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gorenut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fallenangelhim:
Just picked up a LNIB Gen 3 G23 with 3 magazines for $350 plus tax.

My second Glock.

I can share the same sentiments with some people who hate Glocks, but for some reason I keep coming back to them.

Some days I share the same sentiments that any asshat gangbanger can carry one. Other days I love the simplicity and the combat proven reliability.

I don't know, it depends on what kind of mood I am in, but I sure know my second Glock isn't my last one. Plan on going Full Size and Compensated soon.

I hear you. Its because Glocks are soulless. I've already accepted that I'll probably always own a Glock due to it being one of my go-to guns. The fact that I can detail strip the gun and put it back together in 15 minutes with 1 tool is one of the biggest appeal to me. Its only after you take the whole thing apart that you appreciate the engineering finesse that went into it (in contrast to its aesthetics finesse!). As much as I like M&Ps too.. even they seem quite heavy-handed in how they're put together when compared to Glocks - random things like having to remove the rear sight for full slide disassembly, 2 roll pins require a hammer, or how some of the frame internals just aren't all neatly housed (more parts running loose).

That said.. I do carry the feeling that I'll never feel satisfied with just owning Glocks. I need something that really sings to the heart when I see/handle it.

Posts: 878 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: February 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RRichie09
posted Hide Post
A glock will be the last pistol I buy IF I buy every other pistol I want and then for some reason still feel like buying another pistol.

UNLESS, I can get a full auto Glock. Then it will be my next purchase haha.

-Rich
- P226R German - Recce Style AR15 -

Posts: 233 | Location: Diamond Bar, CA | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer a couple responses...

Do I feel safe when I carry it, yes as I do with the new 220 I carry now as a prerogative of my rank, as was the Kimber before that. My dept has issued a good half dozen handguns in my 28 years here. Felt safe with all but not so much the two types of S&W 9MMs.

I don't have 37K officers to worry about. That being said, the trend in LE since the late 90's has been to dumb down, not train up. Even at that, some guys can't field strip & reassemble even a Glock. Sad state of affairs, IMO.

I hate hammers too, but not as much as power tools...

"Said I didn't have much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use one"

Posts: 131 | Registered: June 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
Discounting newbies who are as easily swayed in their choice of pistols as the way the wind blows..... People who choose Glock haven't necessarily chosen Glock its more Glock has chosen them. Many handguns get a pass due to the way they look and the emotional feelings they might give the owners. Glocks justify their existence mainly through function, performance, and utility. Then the emotional connection slowly and deeply sets in. "You will buy a Glock" isn't a command. Its an inevitable truth.

Glock owners have no emotional connection to their Glocks? Just look at this monster thread. If suddenly there were no Glocks those same Glock owners would realize there is nothing else that can truly fill in that void completely.
quote:
I don't have 37K officers to worry about. That being said, the trend in LE since the late 90's has been to dumb down, not train up. Even at that, some guys can't field strip & reassemble even a Glock. Sad state of affairs, IMO.

Glocks like any semi-auto is arguably more complex to understand and operate than a DA revolver (the former police standard). Not just a training issue but a lack of interest/initiative on the part of those who are issued a firearm of any type.

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”― Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 9811 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RowdyatHeart
posted Hide Post
I can't get past carrying a Glock with a round chambered and the "safe action" system. I have no issues with firing or bringing the weapon to bear. My uneasiness lies in what can happen during holstering and un-holstering.

That said, they jury is in and they are the best buy on the planet all things considered.

I am in the middle, the manual safeties of the 1911 and 92FS are too much for me and the "safe-action" of the Glock is too much for me.

IMHO, the traditional DA/SA Sig Mechanism is a perfect balance between safety and point-n-shoot capability. I have found my ideal platform. There is no need to look further.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.
Vince Lombardi

Posts: 634 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RowdyatHeart
posted Hide Post
This will probably draw untold wrath but next to the Traditional Sig ignition, I am fond of the XD with the grip safety. That added measure of detente coupled with the fact the average nimrod does not understand the grip safety must be engaged to retract the slide works for me. Following the classic Sig system and XD concept, I see the Sig DA only design on the horizon with the emphasis being on point and shoot ability.

I value point and shoot capability as highly as accuracy within reason. This is to say if I cant put five rounds in a 3" diameter circle with a point and shoot platform versus a 1-1/2" group at 25 yards with a crisply tuned manual safety firing mechanism----that's okay.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.
Vince Lombardi

Posts: 634 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RowdyatHeart:
I can't get past carrying a Glock with a round chambered and the "safe action" system. I have no issues with firing or bringing the weapon to bear. My uneasiness lies in what can happen during holstering and un-holstering.

I know where you're coming from. Owned and shot various DA/SA SIG Sauers for more than 10 years. But, that "uneasiness" when holstering and unholstering is primarily a concern that your trigger finger will somehow find its way onto the trigger at an inappropriate time. And if that is a persistent concern how much of a difference will a heavier trigger matter? Did you remember to decock as well? And how much has one lowered their standard of training and involuntary reflex to always index their firearm if one comes to rely on a heavier trigger as a form of "safety"?

Whatever firearm, if one finds their trigger finger on the trigger involuntarily that is a serious problem and one that no "safety device" can outsmart. Relying on the firearm to overcome lack of training or mindset is not the way to go in the long run.

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”― Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 9811 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RowdyatHeart
posted Hide Post
One thing I like about the Sig "Bobbit" lever is my hand position changes so that my trigger finger is no where near the trigger when I Bobbit the hammer onto a live round.

10 pounds is a lot more detente than 5 pounds imho.

Vince Lombardi

Picture of RowdyatHeart
posted Hide Post
Again, I want to make sure everyone knows I understand by Glock is what they are in the market. They are well made and easy to take care of. I will probably own another one again but I always carry them chamber dry.

Vince Lombardi