SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    FN is back in the game with an All-New High Power?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN is back in the game with an All-New High Power? Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Years ago shot a Browning and loved it. Would like to see a comparison, without political overlay, of an original Hi-Power, the FN and the Springfield.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with Browning Hi Powers in general was the pricing. They charged too much for the Browning name. When FN imported FN marked ones 15-16 years ago they were like $499 while Brownings were $800-900. I like the historical appeal of the Hi Power but they did cost too much compared to other options. Now they want to charge even more...

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Maybe. Price is steep but I want to see how they perform for the various guntubers before making a decision.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I would much rather have one if these than anything from Springfield.

Interesting…didn’t think I wanted a Hi power…

Posts: 1350 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like crap. Not the sleek look of the original HiPower. Either modernize with a rail, better sights and optics ready or leave it alone. Why does it weigh 40oz, the Sa-35 is only 31oz.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
Why does it weigh 40oz, the Sa-35 is only 31oz.

Yeah, that does seem odd. The FN's ambi controls would only add a very small amount of weight.

Perhaps it's not apples-to-apples comparison? Maybe the SAI weight is without a magazine inserted, and the FN weight is with an empty magazine inserted.

Posts: 32505 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody else getting a ruger p-series vibe? I think I'll hold out for the bugs to get worked out of the Springfield. Traditional design is more appealing to me.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
MSRP $1369 in stainless. LOLOLOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...0vc&ab_channel=TFBTV

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3207 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
I would much rather have one if these than anything from Springfield.

Interesting…didn’t think I wanted a Hi power…
If you check out Hicock45s youtube vid of the new Springfield you just might change your mind. The Springer is a well fit, good quality, reliable shooter which he points out. No MIM parts either. It seems very accurate on his 80 yard range. He prefers it to his '52 High Power. Check it out. Besides, those pistols shown in the FN ad are likely thrown togethers and not completed guns, for the photo shoot.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That FN is awful like a Sig.. Big Grin. Its a P226 Power.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So they took an elegant Browning high power and made a SigP226…

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
It just hit me.

the Muzzle end of the gun looks like a Walther P-88

Posts: 612 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I really hate that scalloped cut on the right side of the slide just aft of the hi-power cut. What is that for?

Allowance for rotation of the takedown lever?

Shows how much I know--I just realized the original High Power has the same scallop. I saw it on Hickok's review of the SA-35.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I handled one at SHOT. Looks awful in person and doesn’t feel right in the hand.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's a pistol pretending to be a High Power, from a company pretending to be FN.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear FN;
If you want to "re-make" a classic weapon such as a BHP, then do it. However, don't churn out some ugly piece of shit that looks kinda like a classic, and label it as a classic.

Signed,
Gun aficionados.

(PS, THANKS for the M-249 and the M-240! Those are some damn good guns!)

If they truly wanted to re-make the BHP, they would have done exactly that. Want to make the "necessary" changes to a BHP?
Beaver tail, spur hammer- eliminate the bite
Improve the trigger
No magazine safety
Good sights

I get it, that grip style is your thing. The second someone looks at it- "Hey, that's an FN!"
You can still use "your" style on the old, proven and reliable style! And for the love of God, and the fear of John M Browning hitting your ass with an accurate lightning bolt:
DONT PUT A RAIL ON IT!

Whatever this thing is- it's a "re imagine".
Like I said before- I sure hope it shoots well, because it looks like shit.
Someone already pointed it out, it looks like a "less clunky" Ruger P-Series.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I used to wish we would see a production run of new FNC carbines from FN USA but after seeing this fugly chunk of metal they are calling a High Power I take it back.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That's just fugly.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
(PS, THANKS for the M-249 and the M-240! Those are some damn good guns!)

Isn't there a recall on the 249S? Razz

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
It would be nice if FN offered this along with a "classic" model.

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post