SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    FN is back in the game with an All-New High Power?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN is back in the game with an All-New High Power? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Now this one has me excited. Will definitely move on one or 2 of these. My FN pistols are great guns and these will be good I am sure. While not true to the original design, they will probably be better.
The only question I have is about the extractor. Not sure why they went internal but I will find out if they work by shooting one.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You know, if you were just looking for a modern all metal, hammer fired, single action pistol (not the classic Hi Power reincarnated), this be a good offering.

So, is it made of stainless steel or is the ' stainless steel' version just the coating color?

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I really hate that scalloped cut on the right side of the slide just aft of the hi-power cut. What is that for?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I really hate that scalloped cut on the right side of the slide just aft of the hi-power cut. What is that for?

Allowance for rotation of the takedown lever?

"Taking the design even further, FN engineers resolved the complex takedown method of the original design and updated it to current standards. Now, disassembling your FN High Power for cleaning and maintenance is as simple as taking down any modern polymer pistol, simply rotating the takedown lever allows shooters to instantly field strip a FN High Power."

What an odd claim. I always thought the original Hi Power had the simplest/easiest take down of any auto pistol.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's raining Hi Powers ! Big Grin

Girsan
Springfield
now FN

will be curious to see how this all shakes out over the next couple of years

very interesting that an older gun design 'out of production' for a number of years now has THREE offerings (soon anyway) in the US

what's old is new again.... choices are a good thing

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, their webpage shows it much better. I'm switching to "wait and see" vice "Here, take my money, give me one!". Forty ounces in weight (unloaded I presume). I consider it a hybrid between the tried and true, and today's market demands (adjustable grips, the changed takedown, internal extractor). I like the stainless though.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's up with the two piece backstrap/beavertail? Maybe different sizes?

Posts: 399 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
How many Pesos for this pistola?

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd call this gun HiPowerish. It's not quite a HiPower.

Maybe that's OK, but it's only OK if the gun works and works well.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220CDAK:
What's up with the two piece backstrap/beavertail? Maybe different sizes?

That's my guess. They are going for the modern interchangeable backstrap thing as seen on modern polymer guns.

Same with the takedown and probably the lockup.

Like Smith's new single action, this seems to show influence from polymer guns bleeding into metal frame single-actions.

Just as Smith's CSX is not a 1911, this is not a HiPower.

It is something else. Time will tell if that is a good something else or not.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's not a High Power.

The Python that isn't a Python is more a Python than this is a High Power.

FNH-USA needs to stay the fuck out of the handgun business. I hope this thing turns out to be a world-class jammamatic.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If someone will make a version with a rail and optics ready, I think it could be a serious competitor for the high end double stack 1911.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Goes to show what I know I always thought it was Hi-Power.

It's both.

Browning advertised it over the years as the Hi-Power.

FN advertised it over the years as the High Power.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How about first making sure this abomination even works?
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Goes to show what I know I always thought it was Hi-Power.
It's both.
This thing is neither.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
See, that wasn't a commentary on whether this new model lives up to the name, or resembles its predecessors closely enough.

Merely pointing out the historical differing model names between the two companies, in response to Black's confusion over the spelling.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I know that

posted Hide Post
Maybe FN should have called it something different?

Maybe...maybe it's a good gun but a High Power it ain't.

Maybe they should have called it the Super Power???

Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
A medium power?

It looks like a Turkish knock off of a hi power……wait, scratch that. The Turkish clone is more a hi power than this is.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pass, it is a little too "reimagined" for my taste.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the very least, if one has a Hi Power itch, it can now be scratched several ways:

- Original
- Turkish clones (Girsan and earlier Tisas, although I haven’t looked for, or seen much mention of the latter),
- Springfield Armory
- FNH’s new model.

If one only wants a shooter, the Turkish guns and the SA may be more attractive especially if they accept existing after market parts and other bugs are worked out.

The new FNH, if it can get out of the blocks without too many teething issues, will certainly find its niche in the marketplace, much like the resurrected Colt revolvers (rooting for CZ’s $$$ and leadership!)

The original will always be with us either stock or various levels of customized for those that don’t want to consider the other options.

I am intrigued by the FNH, or one of the clones. But at the MSRP of the new FNH, looking for an original might be a possibility.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post