SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "Gas Pedals" Yea or Nay?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Gas Pedals" Yea or Nay? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
It's a quixotic endeavor to try to get cnsumers to stop using your trademark to refer to generic products.
Not always. Xerox' campaign was very successful. As I noted in my reply to Q: Few people refer to photocopies and photocopiers using Xerox' name any longer. At least not within my earshot. There was a time when I heard it all the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Just ask Jacuzzi.
Perhaps, but, I can't say as I've ever once heard anyone I know refer to their hot tub as a "Jacuzzi." Everybody around here has always called them "hot tubs."

That's because Xerox doesn't own the market anymore.

This is supported by the following with regards to Jacuzzi: "Jacuzzi is a trademarked brand of hot tubs. As Jacuzzi hot tubs became renowned worldwide as the first whirlpool-designed hot tubs on the market, people often just refer to hot tubs in general as jacuzzis.Jul 28, 2021." Link Note that this is a UK website.

Jacuzzi's website explains that they're the "clear European market leader and is the co-leader in the U.S. spa sector."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19669 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am guilty, I guess. In my defense I might say I'm older than many (most?) of you and am pretty set in my ways and my language.

I call our section of the pool where the water bubbles and churns a Jacuzzi. It's too big to call a Hot Tub and, well, it's mine so I reckon I can call it what I want.

I almost aways call a copy a Xerox. My wife says that makes people think I am out of date and, for her, I am trying to remove Xerox from my vocabulary and substitute copy. I'm successful about half the time.

A Kleenex is a kleenex regardless of the brand (though if I'm buying, it's always the Kleenex brand.

As for a gas pedal, it's down on the right side of the left front floorboard area of my Pilot. I haven't been inclined to shoot competition for about 30 years and as for
installing one on my EDC (see, I know some modern terms), that just ain't gonna happen.

It might work for competition-I'm just too far removed from that to be sure, but on a carry gun, it seems to be an unnecessary addition that could go wrong at a bad time.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 320fan:
Some of these older posts have misinformation.

As for the gadget in question, hard pass. I don't need such things to know where to put my thumbs or fingers. It reminds me of some Springfield pistols with "GRIP ZONE" emblazoned on the grips. Where the fuck else do you grip the gun?

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I really like those Gas Pedals. Can someone give me a list of companies that make them? Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I should try one on my S&W Victory to keep my thumb(s) off the oversized magazine release button half-way
through the line of bowling pin tops.

.gov *fixes* one mistake with another, why shouldn't I? Smile

Edited To apologize: I goofed again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15895 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
.gov *fixes* one mistake with another, why shouldn't I? Smile
Really? You're new here, are ya?

Posts: 107616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incoherent
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

The "gas pedal" people (and their lawyers) are fanatical in their efforts to find people using the term wrong. [/QUOTE]
Are you anti American or simply unaware of laws of USA. Gas Pedal® is a circle R registered trademark. USA law requires trademark owners to notify others of incorrect use of trademarks or you loose the trademark. I reached out to the company and they said they never used a lawyer to correct others incorrect use of Registered trademark.

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 12, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, cool...
So what do I call the pedal on the right in my car? That GAS PEDAL has been there way before that thing on your gun.

Trademark police going to come and lock me up?
If I call you a fanatical nazi about this tomfuckery, are a bunch of goose-stepping assholes gonna knock on mien door und have vays of makin me talks? If so, they're going to be pretty busy because that "nazi" term has been way overused.

But again, cool... I'm glad you took time out of your day to dial up "gas pedal", obviously trademarked, and clear up said matter for the betterment of society!
Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dude, if you are trying to lose business for these guys then you are doing an outstanding job.

Posts: 7508 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I reached out to the company and they said they never used a lawyer to correct others incorrect use of Registered trademark.
You reached out to the company? According to your verified email address- the one you used to register in this forum- you are the company.

Posts: 107616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I reached out to the company and they said they never used a lawyer to correct others incorrect use of Registered trademark.
You reached out to the company? According to your verified email- the one you used to register in this forum- you are the company.

Oops...he bad.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to get one of these Gas Pedals.

https://www.holley.com/product...edal_pads/parts/9645

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you anti American or simply unaware of laws of USA. Gas Pedal® is a circle R registered trademark. USA law requires trademark owners to notify others of incorrect use of trademarks or you loose the trademark. I reached out to the company and they said they never used a lawyer to correct others incorrect use of Registered trademark.

I have a Gas Pedal in my truck, and a Gas Pedal on my lawnmower. Hell, I think I'll make a Gas Pedal for my toaster and a Gas Pedal for my pool table.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16707 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That's rich, right there.

"I reached out to the company."

"Your email says you ARE the company."

Oops.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19669 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
You reached out to the company? According to your verified email address- the one you used to register in this forum- you are the company.

Looks like Company Dude needs to pump the brake pedal on his statements.

Aawww shit, I'm going to get sued now for using the trademarked term brake pedal.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And another one bites the dust.....gotta' love it !

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This guy is like an early Christmas. Keep talking buddy, we are all enjoying the (shit)show.

Posts: 7508 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incoherent
posted Hide Post
Looks like the haters are in full force. That's ok except, the real shooters have spoken and most love it. FYI, trademarks go by the type of item they are not what they say. EG "Talon®" is a registered trademark but applies to about about 20 categories, from firearms grips to golf clubs. However, within the group, only owner can use it. Before you criticize the American Way, you should look up Intellectual Property law and practice. Most Americans abide by it, but the Chinese don't. The whole reason for trademarks is so copy cats, that have products that dont work, cant call their product by a Trademarked name.

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 12, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh darn. The douchebag says we aren’t real shooters. Are you this big of a dick in person?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's almost Sunday, folks. Gather 'round. We got a live one here. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26411 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post