SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "Gas Pedals" Yea or Nay?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Gas Pedals" Yea or Nay? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to write this post but I'm interested to know what Para's nose tells him about the post in question. Because, I'll admit my stupidity, I went and ordered the Sig pedal after reading the post. I saw it's the guy's first post but it seemed well-reasoned to me.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19669 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If I say "Kleenex" everyone here will know to what I refer. If someone hands you a tissue and calls it a "Kleenex" it may not be a Kleenex-brand tissue.

Let's say this happens in a video online.

Does Kimberly-Clark launch a tactical team of their most vicious lawyers to halt these shenanigans?

No, because the folks at Kimberly-Clark- who own the trademark on "Kleenex" realize that having a brand name enter the language as a generalized term for a given object, substance, etc, is a good thing for the brand name owner. Apparently, this is lost on some people.

Kleenex is a brand name for a variety of paper-based products such as facial tissue, bathroom tissue, paper towels, tampons, and diapers. Often used informally as a genericized trademark for facial tissue in the United States, the name Kleenex is a registered trademark of Kimberly-Clark.

When someone refers to a photograph as having been "Photoshopped" does Adobe unleash legal Hell upon any use of this term when not referring to Adobe's software, Photoshop? No, they're happy when this happens, or, perhaps, they're indifferent. Either reaction is appropriate.

So, now we have "gas pedal" which by the way- registered trademark or no- is a term which has been in use since shortly after the inception of the automobile.

It seems that this term "gas pedal" has genericized in the shooting community to mean any of these gadgets, no matter who manufactures them.

It's not possible to widely suppress the usage of such terms, no matter how many threats of litigation the trademark owner issues. Simply not possible. So, when trademark owners fail to acknowledge that their registered trademark has entered general usage, and when they fail to understand that they should be happy about this because it is to their benefit, well, we get stuff like we see here.

We get a seven month old thread, bumped by someone who registered for this forum solely to advise us how misinformed we are, and that "gas pedal" is a registered trademark. Everybody got that? So, you guys had better watch out, huh? Oh yeah.

Take a look at the subject line of this thread: "Gas Pedals" Yea or Nay?

"Gas Pedals"- in parentheses. Hello? Roll Eyes It's a generic term.

Longtime members of this forum know that I have some pet peeves related to this place, and one of the biggest of these is seeing someone come into this forum with an agenda. They don't want to be here. They have something to by God tell us and we should pay attention. So, they register here, post their little gripe, and then they vanish. I don't like this kind of shit in this forum, not one single bit.

If you are not a member of this forum and you have an issue or concern with any content of this forum, you can contact me quite easily. At the bottom of every page is a "Contact Us" link. Click it and it opens up a new email in your mail client, with the proper recipient address.

This is what should have been done in this instance. "Hello, I am Joe Lawsuit and I wish to bring something to your attention..."

I'm not a competition shooter. I don't care about these gadgets and I certainly wouldn't attach such a thing to a defensive pistol. If you want to spend your money on something that makes your pistol look as if it's in need of a biopsy, well, operators are standing by as they say.

Our new member retains his posting rights and for the third time, I'm offering him the opportunity to speak up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The people over at Hormel handled this about as well as any company I've ever seen. When the word "spam" entered the vernacular as meaning "commercial or promotional email I did not request," Hormel eventually asked the IT community to please not use the word capitalized (SPAM™) out of respect for their trademark. They phrased it as a polite, respectful request, and gave their reasons why. IIRC: Their open letter making the request was even mildly humorous.

Tech/IT geeks were suitably impressed. It mostly worked.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You mean I've been using "SPAM" improperly all this time? Speaking of tech, I need to make Xerox copies of some important documents.

Q

Posts: 26409 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
You mean I've been using "SPAM" improperly all this time? Speaking of tech, I need to make Xerox copies of some important documents.

While you are at the xerox machine, grab me a Coke would ya? Thinking a Fanta Grape please

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:

While you are at the xerox machine, grab me a Coke would ya? Thinking a Fanta Grape please

Those bottles aren't recyclable, just toss 'em in the Dumpster

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
You mean I've been using "SPAM" improperly all this time?
If you've been referring to bulk or commercial email you did not request, rather than the delicious breakfast meat of unknown provenance: Yes, you have Smile

quote:
Speaking of tech, I need to make Xerox copies of some important documents.
Xerox' campaign to persuade people to stop using their name as a synonym for "photocopy" has been relatively successful, too. Rarely do I ever hear or see anybody use "Xerox" or "xerox" when they mean "photocopy," anymore. Nor "Xerox machine" when what they mean is the "photocopier" or "copier." Wink

Companies do have a legitimate interest in trying to stop such things. Just ask Bayer ("aspirin") or any number of other companies whose successful products' names ended-up in the public domain by failing to protect them.

"Gas pedal," though. I dunno about that. That's kind of like Microsoft trademarking the word "windows." Screw them. To my way of thinking: If you use a word or phrase that otherwise has a common meaning to distinguish your product, that's your problem.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Still not a peep from our helpful new friend, telling us about registered trademarks and all.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Xerox' campaign to persuade people to stop using their name as a synonym for "photocopy" has been relatively successful, too. Rarely do I ever hear or see anybody use "Xerox" or "xerox" when they mean "photocopy," anymore. Nor "Xerox machine" when what they mean is the "photocopier" or "copier."

I miss mimeograph machines

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Ok, I get it. But regarding the trademark, once the horse is out of the barn....

It's a quixotic endeavor to try to get cnsumers to stop using your trademark to refer to generic products. The only way companies have successfully protected their trademark is by suing other companies and, even then, it may be a losing cause. The marketing department may have been too successful to associate their brand name with the product itself. Just ask Jacuzzi.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19669 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
The only way companies have successfully protected their trademark is by suing other companies...
By looking at this thread, one may be left with the impression that this particular company has representatives who take exception to individuals using the term "gas pedal" in a general sense to refer to these dubious gadgets.

That's just plain weird, and furthermore, I don't care for this shit to spread to this forum. Take it elsewhere. The membership will be allowed to discuss these gadgets, and they are permitted to call these things whatever they want. Anyone who objects to this and wants to just spin their wheels pissing about it, can contact me directly. Anyone who thinks that allowing individuals to employ generic terms for objects is a violation of registered trademarks, has a screw loose.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
thanks Para... I was a little confused at your going after the guy. I admit I did not have a clue what a gas peddle on a gun was and finally got around to opening the thread after your initial post... your explanation of what was going on and why you were miffed makes perfect since to me now. The problem is, and I'm often very guilty of this.. is I often don't read all the comments in a thread and so miss some of what is really going on.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If I invent an accessory that will make any rifle shoot twice as precisely, but give it a ridiculous nondescriptive name that has nothing to do with its function, I’d better hope it gets picked up as a common generic term. That way when I advertise “Get the original, and still best Carburetor™ for your rifle,” it’s, “Oh, yeah, I know what that is; I’ll have to try one,” rather than, “Carburetor? Whiskey, tango, foxtrot? Anything with a goofball name like that isn’t something I’m going to spend money on.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a quixotic endeavor to try to get cnsumers to stop using your trademark to refer to generic products.
Not always. Xerox' campaign was very successful. As I noted in my reply to Q: Few people refer to photocopies and photocopiers using Xerox' name any longer. At least not within my earshot. There was a time when I heard it all the time.

quote:
Just ask Jacuzzi.
Perhaps, but, I can't say as I've ever once heard anyone I know refer to their hot tub as a "Jacuzzi." Everybody around here has always called them "hot tubs."

posted Hide Post
Wasn’t it GoGun that made the gas pedal stink years ago? I remember a tempest in a teapot on a different forum and threats that never went anywhere. I would never have a gas pedal on any of my guns they are stupid, but I am fine with a nice thumb rest.

Posts: 1805 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Little birdies have been singing in my ear.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Man, I'm shaking in my boots.

Q

Posts: 26409 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My post being resurrected was a surprise! And based on the whine from the trademark owner (or Lawyer) if I do buy one, it damn sure wont be from his company.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Man, I'm shaking in my boots.
I mean to say that I have received emails regarding past behavior by a certain company, in other forums.

No one has contacted me to threaten litigation, because there's nothing to make threats about.

posted Hide Post
One of the most aggressive copyright fighters is Disney.

Their attitude is no matter how small you change or you go to court.

Typical true story.

In 1989 a Disney executive drove by a daycare center in the Orlando area with Disney characters being displayed.

The next day they were given a cease and desist order to repaint in 5 days or be sued.

They said they could not afford it and not in 5 days.

The best news was Universal Studios a Disney Competitor, heard about it, stepped in, and repainted three daycare centers with Hana Barbara characters.

Everyone loves a happy ending.

99%+ fold before litigation.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post