SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Did you guys place orders?

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not yet Chechvar. I was doing just fine, thank you, until you caved and ordered your SPECWAR.

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Blame Ernie...I'm just the messenger... Razz

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
Did you guys place orders?

Ummm. Aahhhhh. Ummmmm. aaahhhh

Maybe....

Big Grin

Had not planned on it, since I got the 938 until meeting the new Grunt tonight.

So...I'm down to 2, which means 1, had to get back to 3 so really 2. Haha

Problem is I want a custom Gentleman Jim, and a full size A-100 by year end

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I figure mine will be worth a half million by next Summer so I'll auction it off...save your small change... Razz

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I figure it is too rare an opportunity to have a pristine 2001 blade.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The HC Serrated are still in stock... Smile

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

Very nice, pristine, constructed with care. With the bolsters it will not be confused with a run assembled in 2001, but still cool. I like it better than I thought I would. And I thought I would like it.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Sweet...That's some fast shipping too. Now, do you think this is one we should store for later, maybe to sell? Or should it be used? I don't know much, if anything, about Hard Chrome.

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I'm conflicted. I think it is most excellent to have a blade from history, 2001. I'd almost like to call them and ask them when in the year they think these were made. They may not be able to say, but the thought that they may have been making these blades while watching the coverage of the fallen towers (fell before opening of business for them), is just such a motivating thought.

As you noted above, the issue of sharpening vrs. chrome is a concern, though of course it was built to be used.

I think they could have a nice niche for value, though as I said before there will be no confusing them for 2001 built knives.

While not the final word I did find this on hard chrome

Hard chrome plating
Hard chrome, also known as industrial chrome or engineered chrome, is used to reduce friction, improve durability through abrasion tolerance and wear resistance in general, minimize galling or seizing of parts, expand chemical inertness to include a broader set of conditions (especially oxidation resistance, arguably its most famous quality), and bulking material for worn parts to restore their original dimensions.[5]

It is very hard, measuring between 65 to 69 HRC. Hard chrome tends to be thicker than decorative chrome, with standard thicknesses in nonsalvage applications ranging from 0.2 to 0.6 mm (200 to 600 µm), but it can be an order of magnitude thicker for extreme wear resistance requirements, in such cases 1 mm (1,000 µm) or thicker provides optimal results.

Unfortunately, such thicknesses emphasize the limitations of the process, which are overcome by plating extra thickness then grinding down and lapping to meet requirements or to improve the overall aesthetics of the "chromed" piece. [2]

Increasing plating thickness amplifies surface defects and roughness in proportional severity, because hard chrome does not have a leveling effect.[6] Pieces that are not ideally shaped in reference to electric field geometries (nearly every piece sent in for plating, except spheres and egg shaped objects) require even thicker plating to compensate for non-uniform deposition, and much of it is wasted when grinding the piece back to desired dimensions.

Modern "engineered coatings" do not suffer such drawbacks, which often price hard chrome out due to labor costs alone. Hard chrome replacement technologies outperform hard chrome in wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and cost.

Rockwell hardness 80 is not extraordinary for such materials. Using spray deposition, uniform thickness that often requires no further polishing or machining is a standard feature of modern engineered coatings. These coatings are often composites of polymers, metals, and ceramic powders or fibers as proprietary embodiments protected by patents or as trade secrets, and thus are usually known by brand names.

Hard chromium plating is subject to different types of quality requirements depending on the application, for instance, the plating on hydraulic piston rods are tested for corrosion resistance with a salt spray test.

posted Hide Post
Wow. That's nice

Waiting for mine to get here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Well, for the time being, mine will go straight into the safe next to my OBS.

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
got one - black G-10, basic non-serrated, clip point, stone wash.

still not sure why. it is sitting in the box on my desk. Might give it to my daughter for Xmas...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
got one - black G-10, basic non-serrated, clip point, stone wash.

still not sure why. it is sitting in the box on my desk. Might give it to my daughter for Xmas...
What date and description was engraved on it?

That's a nice BDay present, she should love it.

Picture of sgtmac
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2832 | Location: ND | Registered: August 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Hey SgtMac...Move over? That fixed Karambit is by far my favorite...Trying to figure how I'll carry it. I don't think I wanna go the Thunderwear route... Smile

Picture of Lame
posted Hide Post
I checked my mail today and found a newly minted 2001 hardchrome specwar. It must have come on Friday or Saturday. This is my first Emerson and I can't really see any lack of fit or finish. I mean the blade is tight and I can see some machining marks around the liner but the lock is rock solid, the scales and the liner are matched up nicely and the blade is sharp. All in all it seems like a well made knife.

Posts: 1088 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

A good start to an expensive collection.

Picture of sgtmac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
Hey SgtMac...Move over? That fixed Karambit is by far my favorite...Trying to figure how I'll carry it. I don't think I wanna go the Thunderwear route... Smile

Move is over, thanks for asking. That's my only issue, trying to figure how to carry it. I wonder if someone make a sheath for it?

Posts: 2832 | Location: ND | Registered: August 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I was serious about wearing it as a neck knife. Unscrew the plastic part and run a chain through it like a LaGriff. It would work if you were careful pulling it out.

Now legally, I'm guessing it's a fixed blade, so you have to find out the rules on that.