SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Been following this thread thinking about adding a CQC7 but have a question or two. Will the Tanto blade be good for everyday use and is it hard to keep sharp? Does it work well with just the one side sharp? Thanks

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cworetired:
Been following this thread thinking about adding a CQC7 but have a question or two. Will the Tanto blade be good for everyday use and is it hard to keep sharp? Does it work well with just the one side sharp? Thanks

Firstly, here's the link to Emersons FAQ page - All of the questions you asked are answered here...
http://www.emersonknives.com/ekEK_FAQ.php#question5

I swear by my CQC-7s, like most people. The Tanto tip is exceedingly good at piercing. The chisel edge stays sharp and is easy to sharpen. The flat side is an advantage at times, it makes for a clean edge when cutting. I have found it to be a cleaner, flatter cut than a V grind.

Although...There is a CQC-7V model with a V Grind. They make it for people who are unsure of the flat chisel. You have to look around, it runs out of stock quickly when they have it in. I know Blade HQ carries it but they're out...It's in stock at Emersons and Midway USA, but call first to be sure. Here's the link...

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekCQC7V.php

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...lade-g-10-handle-tan

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekEK_Sharpening.php

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Czechvar,

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
A different 2012 Blade Show Interview...Some new stuff...At about 5:20 he gets into some nice discussion/demo on the new multitools...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know which model this is, but I love the scroll work...

Armed Citizen...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
A better image of the new "Slim Pike" Ernest introduced in the 2012 Blade Show interview...

posted Hide Post
Yep, Jon does have some beautiful stuff!

Not just Emersons' but Anso's, Dozier's, Horn's, Mayo's, and the list goes on and on...

I think at one time, he was the largest single collector of Boguszewski's. He's realy gotten into the Striders and Hinderer's!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgtmac
posted Hide Post
Picked this up from work, never seen one of these before, ProTech/Emerson auto.

Posts: 2832 | Location: ND | Registered: August 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I haven't seen one before either. Ernest has done several projects like this..Here's the ProTech info...I'll have to dig into this some more...

http://www.protechknives.com/k...des/emerson-cqc7.asp

BladeHQ has several of these models with variations...

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Protech-Emerson-CQC7--399

Picture of sgtmac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
Interesting, I haven't seen one before either. Ernest has done several projects like this..Here's the ProTech info...I'll have to dig into this some more...

http://www.protechknives.com/k...des/emerson-cqc7.asp

BladeHQ has several of these models with variations...

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Protech-Emerson-CQC7--399

Very cool info, that Damascus one is nuts. Now I want smooth handle one, dammit!

Posts: 2832 | Location: ND | Registered: August 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
For the Southpaws...From the FB page....

quote:
We Have Black Left-Hand CQC-7's In Stock And Ready To Go!

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
And here's a review on the Roadhouse from a Tester...

The Roadhouse: Emerson Knives has a winner with this design

Posted in Tactical Gear on April 1, 2013 by Mike S.

One of the newer and most popular designs by Emerson Knives is a folding knife dubbed “the Roadhouse”. The knife appears in both Emerson’s custom lineup and in the factory lineup. For those not in the know, Emerson is a full time custom knife maker who still produces handmade knives, but at the same time is the CEO of a production facility that produces knife models based on his custom designs.

Before there was an Emerson Knives, Ernest Emerson was strictly a Custom knife maker making every one of his knives by hand. One of his most popular models was not a Linerlock folding knife, for which he has become famous, but a large solid fixed-blade knife cataloged as the CF-10, but also known as the Warrior. This knife was specifically designed to be used as a weapon and found favor with members of various US Navy SEAL teams. As Emerson shifted focus on his production facility he turned away from making custom fixed-blade knives, as collectors of his work preferred the folding knives; he stopped making the CF-10 and other fixed blade designs.

In 2008, the CF-10 came back to life as a folding model known as the Roadhouse.

Construction

The handles are made from G10 fiberglass. EKI uses this material in all its production models as G10 is one of the strongest manmade materials and provides a durable gripping surface. Between the G-10 and the slight downturn of the rear of the handle, this will not slip out of a wet hand.

The lock is made from titanium and is roughly .075" thick. There has been some criticism of liner locks from certain corners of the knife industry, but these criticisms largely draw upon poorly made liner locks. Emerson, along with Mel Pardue and a handful of other custom knife makers, learned how to make the lock properly from its inventor, Michael Walker.

The blade is 3 3/4" in length and 1/8" thick. It is made from 154 CM stainless steel. Unlike the stereotypical concept of an Emerson knife, the blade is not chisel ground on the production version, but has more of a conventional "V grind". At first glance, it appears to be a type of tanto blade, but according to an interview this author conducted with Emerson in 2012, the tip is designed to act more like a guillotine blade in that it shears as it chops. This same blade profile is used on the CQC6 and CQC7 models and has been somewhat incorrectly referred to as a tanto profile the past 25 years, because that is the pattern it most closely resembles.

The spine of the blade features Emerson’s patented Wave-shaped opening feature which allows the user to open the knife as it is drawn from the pocket.

Evaluation

This author has been carrying a Roadhouse since December 2010 in daily rotation with several other knives. Although typically a fan of Emerson’s chisel ground blades with a zero bevel; the v-ground blade on this particular model, quickly won me over. It goes through virtually every type of material that can be thrown at it. I have used mine to cut tape, cardboard, plastic pipe and a steak so rare that the restaurant’s excuse for a steak knife would not get the job done. My Roadhouse has trimmed linoleum, planed shims of wood, half skinned a coyote and even worked as a mini pry bar once.

Aside from the blade pattern, the ergonomics of the handle really make this knife stand out. The shape, contours and G10, literally make the knife feel like it is grabbing the hand.

Other versions

There are scaled-up and scaled-down versions of the Roadhouse known as the “Super Roadhouse” and the “Mini Roadhouse”, respectively. The custom version (with chisel ground blade, titanium bolsters and micarta scales) is only available at knife shows where Emerson is in attendance and is holding a lottery to purchase one for about $650. Aftermarket prices approaching $3000 for a full custom version make the $250 suggested retail price of the production version a bit more palatable.

About Mike S.

Mike has worked around firearms his entire adult life starting as a Marine Rifleman at 17 and continuing as a gunsmith, ballistician, instructor, consultant and writer. An avid shooter and martial artist, he has written over 1000 articles about Mixed Martial Arts, boxing, knives and firearms for online media and print magazines such as RECOIL, Gun Digest's Tactical Gear, Blade, and SWAT.

https://www.tactical-officer.c...UWbBc7MByEJ.facebook

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The Order of The Black Shamrock...Established by Emerson as an expression of the ideals of a noble warrior...You may join if you wish...

"Pax armis acquiritur"..."Peace is acquired by arms"

THE WARRIOR

Since time immemorial, warriors have always held a revered, honored and respected place in society. In spite of all political meanderings and the ebb and flow of societal values, this has never changed and it never will. There is an honor and pride in joining this brotherhood that can be gained nowhere else, and once joined can never be taken away. Although women are not excluded, it has always been the man’s role to be the protector and provider. This is your responsibility and your role to uphold and honor in your time upon this earth.

The responsibility of a warrior does not merely necessitate the taking up of arms against an enemy. It is more, much more and it is such that you become an example, a role model of ethical and moral behavior to all others who may look to you for guidance or protection. If this is the path in life that you have chosen to walk then know that it is a path well worn by the footsteps of those who have walked here before you. Others, who have willingly said; I will endure the hardship, the pain, the sacrifice and the risk of death so that those who sleep soundly in their beds can do so in the warm embrace of safety and peace.

If this is your choice then know that your road will be fraught with adversity and you will be assailed by many, but in those times, remember that you are in the company of the noble souls who have also faced such adversity and prevailed. And know also that your legacy shall be that until the end of time, as the last sun sets upon this earth, in that blackest night, somewhere a warrior still stands his lonely watch.

THE PURPOSE OF THE ORDER

The Order of the Knights of the Black Shamrock is a good and noble Order ordained and established on this day 19 November, in the year of our Lord 2008.

The aims and goals of this order are to promote and uphold the virtues of the Noble Warrior, the undying worth of the ideals of chivalry, and to espouse the value and worthiness of these ideals to those who would take interest in them. Members of the Order are entrusted with the noble charge of passing this legacy to the next generations, our youth, our sons and our daughters. The mentoring of the next generation through deeds and by example of these noble ideals shall be among the most revered and honored that a member of the Order of The Black Shamrock can enjoin. This is a sacred trust and a noble duty entrusted to all who are members. Not all who feel compelled to join this order need be required to fight with fist and arms as there are those whose voice, words, and deeds are their sword and shield and are the most valued in their time of need. For there are times when a sharp wit and a pointed pen are more telling than a sharp blade or a true aim.

A warrior is one who stands against the tide of public opinion and self compromise whose cause is just and right. He is willing to fight in the best manner unto each man, against evil, tyranny and injustice. And, he will continue to fight even if alone against overwhelming odds, for his will is strengthened by truth and righteous conviction, knowing also, in his heart of hearts, that a man who stands with his convictions never stands alone.

If you are one of such standards and ideals then the Noble Order of The Black Shamrock will welcome you to its ranks.

http://www.orderoftheblackshamrock.com/

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
...I just Joined The Order Of The Black Shamrock today...Cool, eh? Check it out:

Date: 04/11/2013 15:11:45 EDT

Thank you for your order. Please keep this invoice for your records.

Black Shamrock Membership - ShmrckMbrship $45.00

TShirtSize: 2XL

Oath

Two things occur to me though...If I have to fight Ernest as a rite of passage, I'm outta here...And I also have a needle phobia, so the Tat is out... Razz

But I will be ordering this Challenge Coin as soon as I'm processed...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Emersons FB page indicated that they had some SOCFK's (Special Ops Combat Fighting Knife) coming soon. So I didn't know what that was and looked it up...Another good story to tell...

Review: Emerson SOCFK

I have been carrying a Spyderco Endura 4 with the Emerson Wave for about 3 years now. It is still going strong, but I thought it was time to give another knife a try. I have grown quite fond of the Emerson Wave feature on my Spyderco and I have literally wanted to own an Emerson ever since I have been old enough to buy my own knives, so an actual Emerson knife seemed like the logical choice.

There is no more iconic “tactical folder” than the Emerson CQC-7. The CQC-7 and the Emerson Commander practically gave us the term “tactical folder”. Typically, I hate even uttering the word “tactical” since it is so overused but I suppose it fits in the case of the CQC-7. So, given the iconic nature of the CQC-7, I decided that if I was going to try an Emerson, it should be one that really represents what Ernest Emerson is all about, it should be a CQC-7.

I began search high and low for a plain edge Emerson CQC-7 and the search was proving quite difficult until I came across Extreme Outfitters. Not only did they have plain edge CQC-7s in stock at a reasonable price, but they also had a model that is made exclusively for them by Emerson… the SOCFK.

From Extreme Outfitters:

This knife was developed to address the requirements of individuals who worked in situations where grip may be compromised such as cold, wet environments. The SOCFK is widely used by waterborne teams in the Navy, Marines, and Army.

This hybrid knife is the result of crossing the world standard CQC-7 and the hardcore SPECWAR knife. This crossbred knife is a direct result of specific requests by operators who wanted the proven characteristics of the CQC-7 blade, the size and handle ergonomics of the SPECWAR knife and the wave opening (remote pocket opener) of the Commander knife. It is the first knife outside of the Commander series to employ the wave-opening feature. Basically, this knife was designed by operators, built for operators and used by operators. This knife has all the characteristics needed to put it into the world’s elite class of knives. Knives that meet and exceed the unique demands of the elite special forces units of the U.S. Navy, Army, and Marine Corps.

The SOCFK had the blade I wanted with the more contoured “SPECWAR” handle (from Emerson’s earlier SPECWAR model). I was sold. I added it to my cart, paid, and waited. Extreme Outfitters shipped it very quickly (you can’t beat FREE Priority Mail shipping!) and had it to me in just 3 business days. It went immediately into my pocket (after snapping some pics while it was still pristine).

Review

I have now been carrying the SOCFK for several days. I am happy to report that it cuts things. That may sound ridiculous but it may come as a surprise to some people who listen to the pontifications of some individuals on internet forums who talk about how useless chisel ground edges and “American” tanto shaped blade are. This seems to be a rumor that is repeated often enough that it has become truth that people except with out any actual personal experience.

The chisel ground edge is just another way to make something sharp (and this knife is VERY sharp). It cuts and cuts well. It may have a tendency to draw the cut to one side or the other but this can be controlled. It has advantages and disadvantages just like any other type of grind (convex, flat, saber, hollow, etc, etc, etc). If you listen to some you would think that a chisel ground knife was useless. That couldn’t be further from the truth.

The angular “American” tanto shape that Ernest Emerson made such an icon is actually very useful. It has a long section of useful straight edge like a sheepsfoot or wharnecliffe style blade. It also has a very fine (but still strong) point which is one of the most useful features of any knife. It also has a leading edge which can be useful for scraping and other cutting tasks. In my opinion, it is a very useful blade shape.

The handle on the SOCFK is an ergonomic wonder. It has many contours which often means the knife will be comfortable in only one grip (usually hammer grip). But surprisingly, the SOCFK is comfortable in ALL grips. I am not sure how Ernie did it but this handle shape is magic.

The lock up on my SOCFK is typical Emerson. Many people talk poorly of liner locks. Often their opinions are based on cheap liner lock knives that do have poorly constructed locks. The lock on this SOCFK locks up like a bank vault. The titanium liner is very thick. It also locks up very early (meaning it locks up on the near side of the tang) which is a good thing. Early lock up means that it will take a long time before the lock wears out. I also like how well the handle slabs protect the liner lock on this particular knife design. This reduces the danger of accidentally disengaging the liner lock when “white knuckling” the SOCFK. This knife is the blueprint for the way that liner locks should be made.

The handle features nicely shaped and aggressively textured G-10 slabs. The texture coupled with the handle contours make this knife very easy to retain even with wet/muddy/bloody/snotty/oily hands. The blade features a very evenly applied and attractive black coating. All of the screws used by Emerson are either slotted or Phillips head so you don’t need special tools to work on them. That is a nice touch.

Emerson Knives are still made right here in the USA and backed by some of the nicest people you’ll meet in the knife industry. The warranty and customer service are excellent.

This is a lot off knife for the money. If you are shopping for a new folding knife for everyday carry, duty use, or even collecting, the SOCFK could be the knife for you.

This entry was written by Matt, posted on April 24, 2010 at 4:00 am

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/b...04/24/emerson-socfk/

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
A Trip to the Emerson Factory...

Picture of Ultramagnus
posted Hide Post
my mini commander

--------------THINK ABOUT IT TWICE, Cause you're slow with your hands

Posts: 347 | Location: philadelphia/ FT Riley | Registered: August 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Nice...How do you like the Satin-StoneWash finish? And do you get much use out of the serrated edge on the Commander? From the looks of things, you use it a lot... Smile

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
On The Way from Blade HQ...Super Commander Satin-Stonewash Serrated...

Picture of gator97
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
On The Way...Super Commander Satin-Stonewash Serrated...

Like that one!!

Posts: 843 | Location: Greenville,SC | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Can't hardly wait... Smile