SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Female basketball player breaks the law in Russia, but have no fear- Sheila Jackson Lee is DEMANDING her release
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Female basketball player breaks the law in Russia, but have no fear- Sheila Jackson Lee is DEMANDING her release Login/Join 
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
The idiots in D.C. seem to think harsh words are going to sway Putin.

Nope.

No. They give as many fucks about her as we do.

It's all about appearances doncha know...

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
So what happened to She-Jack’s big display?? Guess she turned out to be as feckless and useless as always. Not that I wanted to see either of those biotches come back, but…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I wonder if she is reevaluating her position on freedom, due process, the Constitution, etc

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37965 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
So what happened to She-Jack’s big display?? Guess she turned out to be as feckless and useless as always.

Biden and the rest of these Democrat politicians don't give a shit about her, only when it fits their needs, and right now, they don't need her. Griner is not a name brought up in Biden's daily report.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I should be concerned that the Russians are singling out an American citizen for extra harsh treatment for a trivial offense …

… but I'm not.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
So what happened to She-Jack’s big display??
At least she's consistent; stupid (genuinely stupid, the real deal), racist and dishonest.

Look at her statement from the first post of this thread:
quote:
"We know that there were some issues dealing with vape cartridges and other items but let me be very clear," Lee, who represents Griner’s hometown of Houston, Texas, in Congress, said on Saturday. "Brittney Griner is a United States citizen, she was a guest in Russia…and I will be demanding her release."
Notice how she just blows past the crime committed by Griner, to say that Griner is a "guest" in Russia and a US citizen and therefore Lee will be demanding her release. Oh, really? So, a US citizen may flaunt the laws of foreign nations while on their soil, simply because they're an American? Imbecile.

She's not bright enough to have any shame or to be self-aware. This is a woman who is supposedly a lawmaker, a member of Congress, and she exhibits no respect for the laws of sovereign nations, and that includes the United States as well as Russia.

If you ask me, this loudmouthed imbecile actually made things worse for Griner. You think Putin's going to jump when this half-wit makes demands?

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
"Brittney Griner was reportedly transferred to a Russian penal colony, roughly 300 miles southeast of Moscow, where she is expected to serve out a nine-year prison sentence for drug smuggling. The WNBA star has been placed at Female Penal Colony IK-2 in Yavas, which is in the region of Mordovia – the same area where American Paul Whelan is being held, according to Reuters."
https://www.foxnews.com/sports...rdovia-region-report

Here is a link that details what life is like in an IK-2 penal colony for men. And this link details life in IK-14 a women's penal colony in the same region as IK-2.

Brittany is in for a hell of a time.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I'll guess she doesn't think America sucks as bad as she used to.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hey, at least it's not racist, patriarchal America, eh, Britt?

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
'When the girls find out that they're going to Mordovia, they cut their wrists, do everything possible: get sick, swallow nails, just so they don't have to go there. Its reputation is known, especially after the letter by Nadia Tolokonnikova,' said Gelena Alekseyeva, a former deputy minister who was sentenced in 2013 to 3 1/2 years in prison for abetting commercial bribery.

Ouch. Sounds like it ain't going to be like Stalag 13.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
One wonders if it has yet occurred to Ms. Griner that what once would have been a resounding cry of outrage over her rough handling, from a united America, has been significantly muted as a direct result of her attitude and behavior towards the country?

It's one thing to say "I love my country. It's a great country. But it's not perfect. It can be better. Here's how." It's quite another to say "My country sucks and always has."

I should be resentful of the harsh treatment a U.S. Citizen is receiving at Russia's hand. Or at least be sympathetic to her plight. Somehow I just can't muster either in her case. It's not so much schadenfreude as I simply do not care.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
If only what's happened to her can happen to the rest of the people here who hate this country.

We should have an exchange program, send away the America hating commies for those who would gladly appreciate the way of life we have here. They would contribute to society instead of take away from it.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should be resentful of the harsh treatment a U.S. Citizen is receiving at Russia's hand. Or at least be sympathetic to her plight. Somehow I just can't muster either in her case. It's not so much schadenfreude as I simply do not care.

Agreed, she exhibited a public display of disdain for the USA, all the while she made money off of her dislike of the views of people who didn't endorse her chosen lifestyle.

Welcome to the real world, where governments and people have not decided they will bow to social media pressure about forced embracement of LGBTQ idealism...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I should be resentful of the harsh treatment a U.S. Citizen is receiving at Russia's hand.

Thing is that she is getting the same treatment by the Russian justice system as any other Russian caught for drugs at an airport. She is not being treated extra harsh because she is an American, in fact they may have been more lenient with her sentence of 9 years instead of the max of 20. The IK-2 penal system seems to house a lot of drug offenders, mostly Russians, I'd wager. Hell, they throw Russian political protestors into these colonies.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
She’ll get out in a few months or years, will hire a ghost writer to pen a tell-all I Played Gulag Basketball, a movie deal, and speaking engagements.

All because as a full grown woman she felt her skill in tossing a ball through a metal hoop protected her.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
She’ll get out in a few months or years, will hire a ghost writer to pen a tell-all I Played Gulag Basketball, a movie deal, and speaking engagements.
What have I been saying almost daily lately? Take a guess.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Not meaning to be disrespectful toward Para or any of the other posters to this thread. But I don't give a shit.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Not meaning to be disrespectful toward Para or any of the other posters to this thread. But I don't give a shit.

I think it’s safe to say that this is a pretty homogeneous opinion here.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Has she come to understand why the USA is an exceptional country yet? No? I'll ask again in two years if she's still alive.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Link

Viktor Bout: Russia hopeful for arms dealer prisoner swap with US
Published 1 hour ago

Russia is hopeful it can agree a prisoner swap with the US that would include infamous arms trafficker Viktor Bout, known as the Merchant of Death.

It is the first time US or Russian officials have publicly said Bout could be part of an exchange.

Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Friday he hoped the prospect of a swap had "strengthened".

The US has previously said it was eager to organise a prisoner swap to release US basketball player Brittney Griner.

She was convicted of illegal drug possession in August after cannabis oil vapes were found in her bags as she tried to enter Russia.

The double-Olympic winner has been sent to a penal colony in a remote region south-east of Moscow.

On Friday Mr Ryabkov said a "common denominator" had not yet been reached between the US and Russia, but "it is undeniable that Viktor Bout is among those who are being discussed [for exchange] and we certainly count on a positive result".

He also said Bout had been "persecuted" in the United States and wished him the "firmness of will and spirit" to cope with his incarceration.

'The merchant of death' - Who is Viktor Bout?
What awaits Brittney Griner in Russian penal colony?
Bout - a former Soviet air force officer - was extradited from Thailand to the US in 2010, after a sting operation by the US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).

One of the world's most infamous arms dealers, his exploits are so notorious that they inspired a Hollywood film and led to his nickname.

He was sentenced to 25 years in prison after being found guilty of conspiracy to kill Americans and US officials, delivering anti-aircraft missiles and aiding a terrorist organisation.

He claimed he was simply an entrepreneur with a legitimate international transport business, wrongly accused of trying to arm South American rebels - the victims of US political machinations.

But a jury in New York did not believe his story.

It is unclear exactly why Russia wants Bout returned, but some analysts believe it might be because he has links with Russian military intelligence.

Mark Galeotti, an expert on the Russian security services at the Royal United Services Institute think-tank, told Reuters he believes Bout's case has become "totemic" for Russian intelligence who are keen to show they do not abandon their own people.

There have been reports in US media suggesting Russia was interested in exchanging the arms dealer for basketball star Brittney Griner.

In July, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said a "substantial offer" had been made to bring two American detainees home from Russia.

Griner was arrested at an airport near Moscow in February when cannabis oil vapes were found in her bags.

She said she had made an "honest mistake", but lost her appeal against the conviction in early November and for some time it was not clear where she had been sent to serve her nine-year sentence.

Earlier this week, her lawyers confirmed she is being held in IK-2 women's penal colony in the remote village of Yavas in Mordovia, 500km (310 miles) south-east of the capital.

There have also been reports another American detainee could be included in a potential prisoner exchange - Paul Whelan.

The former US marine, convicted as an American spy, has been serving time in a Russian labour camp.

In the first interview since his arrest, Mr Whelan described his time locked up as a "very, very grim existence".

Mr Whelan - who also has British, Irish and Canadian citizenship - has always insisted on his innocence.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post