SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with these LED lanterns?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with these LED lanterns? Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I just ordered two of the Siege 540 lumens. I have been needing to get an LED lantern.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I picked up one of the WalMart OT-700 Ozark Trail LED lanterns powered by a built in 18650 battery. It comes with an USB charger cable but I already had a 115 charger cable so I used it to charge the battery.

Necropost. Anyone with the above lantern know if the 18650 batteries are permanently mounted inside the lantern, or can you change them out when they die like a regular alkaline battery?

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
From my brief inspection of the lantern at the store, it appears that there's no regular access to the battery compartment.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The OT-700 has the battery built in. It is possible that you could take the bottom off since there are four screws that are Phillips or some other type of head. The screws are very small and probably would not last long since they are screwed in plastic.

The bottom has a storage compartment for storing the charging cord.

You could add a battery bank to the charging port for additional run time.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have this one with the rechargeable battery pack:

https://www.coleman.com/cpx-6-...erylanterns#start=10

The light is pretty blue and cold, but it has a bright and dim option and the runtime -- I think -- was pretty solid. I haven't had to use it for an extended duration in a long time and can't remember how long I had it on on one charge.

MSRP looks like $40 + 25 (rechargeable battery). So $65, ability to recharge using AC or car 12V DC and to pop out modules to use D batteries.

Anyways, I use it a lot for under-desk computer work. The light seems to dim pretty fast at short distances but casts my entire living room in dim light. If you need some good area lighting, it might not be bright enough.

Posts: 2123 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Woo hoo! The 540 lumen model of the 3 D cell Streamlight Siege Coyote finally showed up on Amazon with Prime free two-day shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Streaml...-44931/dp/B00DII7CTI

$32.99 – I just ordered mine. Until recently, they had only the 340 lumen model, then none at all for several days.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Fenix CL30R LED Camping Lantern

This is with the living room lights on. 650 Lumens is annoying bright, will likely use on the lower settings. Comes with three 18650's and a USB cord to charge it from normal cellphone charger. For me having tons of 18650s it's perfect. Can be used as a battery bank, can be charged without separate charger, uses my standardized battery set.

I have only played with it so far, it's yet to see real duty, probably a bit late for any more camping this year too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I have only played with it so far, it's yet to see real duty, probably a bit late for any more camping this year too.

How durable does this light seem to be? I saw it says it is water resistant. I'm wondering if it looks like it could be dropped while out camping and still be OK.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:

How durable does this light seem to be? I saw it says it is water resistant. I'm wondering if it looks like it could be dropped while out camping and still be OK.

This is my EDC flashlight by Fenix, PD32. I have dropped it from 20+ feet, kicked it, dropped it in water, etc. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I have used the CL25 lantern for a year or two at work, and it's held up well. It's a much smaller footprint and has a handy magnetic base.

LED technology last forever, usually it's the electronics or physical connections that fail, the LED itself is very shock resistant. Luckily Fenix (at least through the vendor I use) has a five year warranty.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is my EDC flashlight by Fenix, PD32. I have dropped it from 20+ feet, kicked it, dropped it in water, etc. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I have used the CL25 lantern for a year or two at work, and it's held up well. It's a much smaller footprint and has a handy magnetic base.

LED technology last forever, usually it's the electronics or physical connections that fail, the LED itself is very shock resistant. Luckily Fenix (at least through the vendor I use) has a five year warranty.

Ddid you buy from the vendor in the link you posted? Does the CL25 lantern have a metal case like your EDC flashlight? I asked about it because the lens bezel and the lantern case looked like plastic. It would be a good thing IMO if it is well made and durable.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:

Ddid you buy from the vendor in the link you posted? Does the CL25 lantern have a metal case like your EDC flashlight? I asked about it because the lens bezel and the lantern case looked like plastic. It would be a good thing IMO if it is well made and durable.

Just checked both, both appear to be plastic. Never used the CL30 in situation to do a torture test. The CL25 has been dropped from heights of 6-8' and shows no signs of damage. Can't say or guess how it would handle higher drops or one directly onto a sharp rock. Both seem to be very well made as all Fenix products I own are(8 different models - multiples of each - five flashlights, two lanterns, and one head lamp).

Here's the link to the site I use Fenix Outfitters, they do all their own warranty work in house, free shipping. Labor covered in parts cost for anything outside of warranty.

http://fenixoutfitters.com?afmc=38

Note. I get a kickback from every sale from that link, I do not recommend for the credits, I recommend because I have used their product for years with only one failure and one DOA (intermittent right out the box). I have probably given 15-20 different models of their flashlights/lanterns/headlamps to friends and family. Zero failures yet from those.

Discount code APP10 for 10% off.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Jesse, for taking the time to post the details and the link.

Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:

Note. I get a kickback from every sale from that link, I do not recommend for the credits, I recommend because I have used their product for years with only one failure and one DOA (intermittent right out the box). I have probably given 15-20 different models of their flashlights/lanterns/headlamps to friends and family. Zero failures yet from those.

I was recently attending a swim meet at a large university pool. In the middle of the meet, the power went out. For some reason, there are no battery backup lights in this modern building and it was totally dark. I had my PD 32 and everyone else was using their cell phones. I thought that a headlamp would come in handy so I just bought an HP 25R using your discount code. Smile

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
quote:

I was recently attending a swim meet at a large university pool. In the middle of the meet, the power went out. For some reason, there are no battery backup lights in this modern building and it was totally dark. I had my PD 32 and everyone else was using their cell phones. I thought that a headlamp would come in handy so I just bought an HP 25R using your discount code. Smile

Awesome. I use the HL55, not quite as bright as your new one, but it has served me well. Love to hear a review of the spot vs Flood on it when you get a chance to test it out. Or maybe I don't, might end up buying one.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Ok, I am so happy I followed this thread. I already have lights that plug into outlets to be charged and ready for a power outage. They are LED and when the power goes out, they really help light up areas but about 10% of them didn’t work last night.

Last night an extremely strong storm rolled through my area and caused all kinds of damage and havoc. I had followed this thread 8 months ago and bought six of the Streamlight Seige D Cell lanterns and then took Aeteocles advice and got Tenergy batteries and the charger he recommended. They got charged up 8 months ago and have sat in my pantry.

We lost power at midnight last night and didn’t get it back until 3pm today although they stated we would not have power for several days. The lanterns worked fantastic last night and all this morning while my wife had to get ready for work. I was able to stay home from work and got the generator setup to run essential items such as the freezer and fridge, but I could not have done it as well without these lanterns and them having a full battery after 8 months.

I was charging everything up again today for another night without power with the generator, but luckily the power came back on. I love the mind hive of SigForum!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’ve been looking at the AA Siege so I’ll probably go ahead and get one. I have a couple of “different” lanterns from Goal Zero. The Lighthouse Micro Flash and the crush lantern. The crush has a built in lithium rechargeable battery and a built in solar panel to recharge but it can also be recharged by USB. The Lighthouse micro flash is charged by USB. It is tiny, like a stack of nickels, and bright. Doubles as a flashlight. Both models are LED and pretty efficient. I keep the lighthouse micro in my bag. I have a couple of Goal Zero Nomad solar recharge panels to recharge them and other devices and rechargeable battery and power units. I’ve been surprisingly pleased with them. I have a Predator gas generator/inverter but thinking of adding one of the solar generators. I’m definitely going to get some larger solar panels to charge a series or car batteries for 12V power for my ham radio station.

https://www.rei.com/product/13...-crush-light-lantern

https://www.rei.com/product/10...sh-electric-lantern,

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I have a bunch of flashlights and headlamps, but one thing I realized during Hurricane Harvey was that I didn't have any lanterns. I have two AA Streamlight Siege lanterns and one D Streamlight Siege lantern on the way.
Two Sundays ago, we lost power due to thunderstorms for 4 hours. It was the first time using the 3 D-Cell Streamlight Siege since purchasing last September and it was quite impressive. A heck of a lot better than a flashlight or a headband light for several hours without power.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Streamlight products have always been surprising reliable and inexpensive. Similar to Fenix of yesteryear. I would not be afraid to go with the 2AA SL version out of your choices. A D battery unit seems like it would be heavy.

For household back up lights have you seen the plug in night lights that automatically come on when the power goes out. Then you unplug and use as a flashlight if need be. They are awesome and come in a three pack for under 20 bucks. Get some at Costco! Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For household back up lights have you seen the plug in night lights that automatically come on when the power goes out.

If you don't have one of those in every bathroom (at least), some night you'll wish you had. Every hallway near a stairs might save a life too.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I have the Strealight D. It's fine, but not significantly better than these that I paid eight bucks each for... and can have more of for the same price. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WSWCCYA

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post