SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with these LED lanterns?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with these LED lanterns? Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Yep a newer version. I believe streamlight does NOT change the model number when they upgrade their products, so if you buy a new model 1234 and compare it to your old model 1234, you'll find the newer one has newer technology in it, and is brighter. You might even get one of the new models from Amazon.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Puzzle.

This Amazon link is for a Streamlight 44931 Siege lantern, Coyote, with C4 LED technology. It says that the maximum brightness is 340 Lumens.

https://www.amazon.com/Streaml...ds=siege+streamlight

This Streamlight link is for a Streamlight 44931 Siege lantern, Coyote, with C4 LED technology. It says that the maximum brightness is 540 Lumens. 200 more that the Amazon link says.

http://www.streamlight.com/pro...tail/index/the-siege

Both links seem to describe the same product, but state different max light intensities. What’s the deal?

The 540 lumens is most likely a newer version. LED technology keeps evolving fairly quickly.

But both claim "C4 LED technology", which seems (to me) to say that both have the same LED technology.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
But both claim "C4 LED technology", which seems (to me) to say that both have the same LED technology.

No. I have a 7 year old Streamlight that has "C4 technology", whatever that is. The newer model light uses updated LED emitters, brighter and more efficient technology than my older one. Streamlight is NOTORIOUS for updating their stuff quietly, and not making a big fuss or press conference about it. You have to get the package in your hand, and look at the actual packaging, to see which model you got, either an older model, or a newer one.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiremanFrank:
You guys convinced me to buy new LED lanterns. I ordered one of the D cell Streamlight models but I was able to find the new 540 lumen model as most places only had the older 340 lumen version. Hope to get a couple of the AA models as well once I find a good price on them.

Here is the link to the new model but I purchased elsewhere for less.

http://www.streamlight.com/pro...tail/index/the-siege

Where did you find the 540 lumen model? All of the sites I see have only the 340 lumen model.

Edit: I guess after current inventory is cleared, all sites will offer the 540 lumen model.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where did you find the 540 lumen model? All of the sites I see have only the 340 lumen model.

Brightguy.com will let you buy the new one, or the old one. They list the newer one on their website.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
So if portability is not an issue, and availability of batteries is not an issue, which is better for an emergency lantern, AA or D batteries?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Both the AA and D model Siege are 4.5 volt lights. Assuming batteries are the same type and from the same manufacturer, D cells have a deeper reserve of power than AA cells.

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:

Brightguy.com will let you buy the new one, or the old one. They list the newer one on their website.

Thanks bubbatime. The 540 lumen model is currently sold out, but here's a direct link to the product. Reasonable price, too.

https://m.brightguy.com/Stream...ht+Siege+LED+Lantern

Edit: Also, it runs as long (30 hours) on its high (540 lumen) setting as the older model did on its high (340 lumen) setting.

Serious about crackers

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair of the D Cell Siege, I guess older model. These are terrific, we get random outages and these are always ready to go. My friend liked it so much he bought a pair for home/car camping.

I put one in the Jeep when we go on vacation, it's come in handy.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eneloop makes adapters to allow the use of AA batteries in a D cell appliance. A solar panel would allow you to keep the AA units charged up in an emergency, and they might be used in AA size lights as well as D cell size lights. ( No - I have not personally tried this ).

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom brought over a GE lantern like the one posted on page4. It worked very good and the batteries lasted a very long time.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I checked out the Ozark Trail lanterns today at WalMart.

The four D-cell is the Model 20045 with 500 lumens on high output for $25.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oza...n/34349999#read-more

They also had the Model 20401 700 Lumens using the lithium-ion 18650 battery for $29.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OT-...N92UB6-fHLQWn8TOy-2Y

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Alkaline battery capacities

D cell....12 to 18 A-Hr
C cell....6 A-Hr
AAA ......2.4 A-Hr
AA .......1 A-Hr

Lithium-ion.. 3.7 volts
18650 ... 3.6 A-Hr
14500 ... .84 A-Hr

So you can see the D cell packs a lot of power but is not rechargeable.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have 2 Coleman white gas lanterns for camping and my wife acquired 2 4x D cell Coleman LED ones. One had a lead-acid battery that failed, and I think Coleman gave her the 2nd one after she fussed about the first one. Post Irma I splurged on Tenergy rechargeable D cells and a charger, with the thought that they might suffer neglect better than the SLA. I've acquired a nutty array of lights, headlamps and rechargeable batteries and chargers over the years. A small Goal Zero solar panel too.

Posts: 36 | Location: GA | Registered: June 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Today I got my AA Siege, I knew it was small, but this thing is small. Literally no larger than a 12 oz drink can. I may put one of these in my car kit.

So, I ordered two Siege D models, the new 540 lumen version of the lantern.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I bought two of the AA Siege Lanterns due to this thread, low is fine for normal tasks, even changing a tire, just to have some light. High is pretty good but maybe not a walking around unknown area good. Good for medium tents probably. I'd like the red to have different levels of brightness as it's not really useful to me like a red lens flashlight.

I'll have to get a D battery model to compare and for area use. For the price, unless you need a small, light weight option, I'd go D cell.

These will get used as a light to put in the tool bag on the RZR UTV and a backup backup.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8346 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I got my Siege AA & it is backpack small. I'll get another and pick up the Siege D model as well. Nice little lamp.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Great. Never occurred to me I needed one of these, well, until I read this thread. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I picked up one of the WalMart OT-700 Ozark Trail LED lanterns powered by a built in 18650 battery. It comes with an USB charger cable but I already had a 115 charger cable so I used it to charge the battery. It is bright on the high setting.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OT-...N92UB6-fHLQWn8TOy-2Y

I also checked out the Harbor Freight solar panels and they seem to be too expensive for the wattage.

I need something with more power and looks like a 100 watt panel is needed to power the fan on my wood stove.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 41,

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Today I got my AA Siege, I knew it was small, but this thing is small. Literally no larger than a 12 oz drink can.

Smaller. Received mine today. Looks well made. I'll grab a larger one sometime soon.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I need a lantern primarily as a room light when power goes off. But if I set the lantern on my nightstand or dresser, there's lots of glare from the direct light of the lantern.

But the D cell Streamlight Siege Coyote has a neat feature: its "globe" is removable. With the globe off, it looks as though it would be easy to fashion an aluminum foil reflector that would direct all light upwards, for indirect lighting.

This lantern has lots of neat features. My Coleman will go to Goodwill when I get the Streamlight.

Serious about crackers